Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ESA your thoughts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Businesses are bound by the Americans with disabilities act aka ADA to recognize people with disabilities that need service dogs and a few others. It started off as a good idea helping veterans, the blind and those with legitimate needs now has morphed into a wider category called emotional support animals to include pigs, ducks, snakes,rats, mice, spiders etc. does this sound right? What if you had to sit in close proximity to this situation? You may be faced with this if you use public transportation, how will you deal with it ?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

It's just as abused as handicapped tags around here. It's far beyond support and now is simply a form of self expression. Sure there are legitimate benefactors- but mostly the perps just want to be more like J. Bieber or Paris Hilton. I dismiss it as a predictable percentage of the mentally handicapped (diagnosed or just livin' large) who walk among us until the following happens:

A dog is plunked down fur-assed in the child's seat of a shopping cart. "How sweet, my baby thanks you for the tapeworms lady."

A dog is held in arms above fresh food level at grocery stores. "Everyone deserves to see this olive bar- thanks for the furry pimentos and of course the Parvo, ma'am."

A dog is taken into a restaurant and allowed a window booth seat, chopsticks and a fortune cookie. "How cute, Fifi gets her own Mongolian bowl. Thank you for the botulism, miss."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Or just as abused as say “affordable housing”. I drive by a section 8 neighborhood regularly & they traded in the S class & the S6 for a Bentley. It looks pretty fucking silly in front of a 700sqft house.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Same thing has happened with handicapped parking. Used to be you had to be in a wheel chair or other mobility assisted device. Now you can get a handicap parking permit for simply being fat and too damn lazy to walk.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Real service animals are highly trained to focus on their job and owner.
They're extremely unlikely to be the cause of any trouble and are often providing the means for their owner to be active.

Emotional support animals rarely have any training, the only requirement appears to be that a doctor says their patient would benefit from having an ESA.
People have been bit by ESAs, two on airlines just this year.
Delta - https://www.fox25boston.com/news/trending-now/delt.../686368395
SouthWest - https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/toda...362759002/

ESA accommodations for untrained animals in public will probably be short lived.
If they want to be treated like service animals, emotional support animals really need a strict training requirement. Otherwise they should be relegated to wherever pets are normally allowed, not given free reign.
That, and the people need training as well. There's a large number of people who cannot accurately read their animal's behavior and end up escalating a situation that shouldn't have happened.
Awful lot of videos online where an animal, usually dog, is totally stressed out but people think it's being cute.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

At least one airline came to its senses.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42880690

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

I work in a place where I see people with these "emotional support" animals - usually a dog. It's my observation that these type of animals cause more stress than if the person didn't have one.

I absolutely support service animals for the blind, handicapped, etc. but for emotional support? I don't buy it one bit. I think there is more to the story than "emotional support."
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Did you know you can buy fake credentials and certificate on Amazon to pass off this shit as real? My peeve people letting dogs shit in the walkways and they just keep walking.

Also available a nice official looking sweater vest for you fake service animal

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Around here it is abused for sure and I do not like it one bit.
Sad for those the honestly need it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

I see the stress and speed of modern life just crushing people, If an animal helps them through the day can't we show some compassion and tolerate the minor inconvenience? There are plenty of other, serious issues to be annoyed with ( that space of indignation must be filled! ) .
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I see the stress and speed of modern life just crushing people, If an animal helps them through the day can't we show some compassion and tolerate the minor inconvenience? There are plenty of other, serious issues to be annoyed with ( that space of indignation must be filled! ) .
I am highly allergic to dogs. I hate being in the grocery store/mall/home depot/walmart/et.al and having damn dogs there. I definitely don't want them in a metal tube hurling through the sky at 500mph with no chance for me to escape.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Ok since you asked.

I think America needs to grow up! Emotional support peacocks trying to get on airplanes! WTF! If you cant handle the stress of flying on a plane stay the fuck home, take a bus or some other means.

I get using trained certified animals for people with genuine physical disabilities. But just because you want to take your yappy mutt on vacation with you doesn't mean I should have to endure an animal that you have no control over or isn't trained worth a damn. What about zoonotic diseases? You going to pay for my healthcare when your "therapy" animal makes me sick? Do I have to put up with the smell of an animal that craps or pisses on the floor of a bus or plane?

Last time I checked we all have rights in the U.S. but what people forget is we only have rights up to the point that it infringes upon the rights of other!

This whole situation reminds of the Geico commercial with R Lee Ermey. You know what makes me sad? YOU DO!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=r+lee+ermey+g...;FORM=VIRE

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

I love animals (I own two dogs, three cats a turtle and we just gave away our 20 yr old double yellow head amazon parrot) But this is getting ridiculous. My animals are pets, yes they are parts of my family, but they are the pet part. Sleep outside on their own house/pen. The cats are free to come and go, but NO, my pets DO NOT need to go with me to Target or Costco or anywhere except the park/beach or lake where they can run wild and have fun.

More than once I've called a manager's attention as people place their pets on the shopping cart where we place our food. Once this woman placed her fuzzy dog on the conveyor as she paid. I fully understand the concept, but animals should keep you happy at home. Once I flew to Cancun, and my seat neighbors had a Dachsund between their seats, poop mutt was as miserable as can be.

ESA should be for YOUR own distress, I live by "Your liberty ends, where mine begins" ideology. Service animals have a purpose, assist with your disability, ESA are just pets you want to bring along.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

One on one human interaction is no longer necessary with social media and being able to do any number of things on-line from getting an education to shopping. People have not been taught how to deal with criticism and conflict resolution. Pets are non-judgmental and love un-conditionally. This is not the real world. We need a "Real World" curriculum in schools starting in kindergarten taught by real people in a real classroom.
My Dad has lived in a 55 and over community for nearly 20 years. No animals. If you have any sort of pet this is not the place you would want to live. As a family we grew up with pets. I have a dog and two cats in my home. Dad didn't chose his retirement community based on the pet restrictions. ESA has pitted long time friends and neighbors against each other. It encourages irresponsible behavior. Why do you need to bring your pet with you everywhere. I know folks think of there pet as a surrogate child but even my folks knew when and when not it was appropriate to have kids tagging along. They got a babysitter!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?

Last edited by kingkarmann on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Infringement?? That ends at your property line. You go into public its a non-stop assault of annoyances that may violate your senses ( or sensibilities ). Everything from fashion to perfume to music and advertising. If some broken person needs the security of a creature to venture forth in this hyper giga byte world ( which is more than many of us are equipped to handle ) , let em' be and show some tolerance. Its better than having them zombied out on pharma drugs or crippled in their homes. Modern life will create many more broken citizens as pressures increase. Have a heart and put up with some "infringements" on your self appointed "rights".
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Infringement?? That ends at your property line. You go into public its a non-stop assault of annoyances that may violate your senses ( or sensibilities ). Everything from fashion to perfume to music and advertising. If some broken person needs the security of a creature to venture forth in this hyper giga byte world ( which is more than many of us are equipped to handle ) , let em' be and show some tolerance. Its better than having them zombied out on pharma drugs or crippled in their homes. Modern life will create many more broken citizens as pressures increase. Have a heart and put up with some "infringements" on your self appointed "rights".

If my rights ends at my property line ,then why do I have to put up with protests out in public! Their rights ended at their property line also. Your argument is hypocritical at best. If my rights end at my property line then so does yours theirs and everyone else's to include your right to bring an animal onto a plane or restaurant.

We have become a society that caters to the LCD, lowest common denominator. If you need comfort from animal when you get home, I have no problem with it. What if I cope with todays society by being intoxicated all the time, am I allowed to go where ever I want completely blitzed and expect everyone else to deal with how uncomfortable I make them? Where do we stop making accommodations? What about people with real fears of dogs? Do they now have to stay at home?

You did not address my question about zoonotic diseases? Those are illnesses that humans can get from animals? If these people cant be expected to cope in a world that is already bubble wrapped, then how can we expect these people to get the vaccinations needed to prevent spread of diseases, pick up excrement from the animal, or go through the hard and stressful process of training.

Here is a list of diseases your little precious can carry and transmit to humans. These are just dogs. Birds, cats, reptiles, and rodents all have their own list of diseases.

•Ringworm
•Salmonellosis
•Leptospirosis
•Lyme disease
•Campylobacter infection
•Giardia infection
•Cryptosporidium infection
•Roundworms
•Hookworms
•Scabies
•Harvest mites
•Rabies

Before you argue that law requires vaccinations, how many on that list are required? ONE!

And as to your argument about self appointed liberties I would like to direct your attention to Unites States House Document number 112-129. Nowhere in that document does it give anyone the right to do whatever the hell they want. You as a U.S. citizen are guaranteed the pursuit of happiness you are not guaranteed to have happiness provided for you.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

I didn't have a "safe place" when I was in school many years ago. Who do I sue for that?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Your parents
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

Hmm. I believe I said it wrong. It's actually "safe space". I thought schools and universities were supposed to provide them. Confused
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ESA your thoughts Reply with quote

You mean like those "cry closets" recently installed at the U of Utah?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: