Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

Other thread (Re: Manual Transaxle oil cooler: FILTERING) went off-topic and generated a separate and interesting discussion.

- Can overfilling the transaxle reduce trans temperature?
- Does the added oil cpacity dilute contaminants and prolong transaxle life?
- What are the problems with overfilling
- What is the problem with oil foaming?
- Can this be as effective as oil pumping? It's much cheaper and easier.

Foamed oil causes oil pressure problems in an engine (and auto transmission) because you can't get oil pressure once the oil foams. But there is no oil pump in the Vanagon transaxle, it's all splash lubrication.

Lots to discuss, so I created a new thread for this. Hope some of the active minds are interested enough to get involved.

DanHoug wrote:
Sodo wrote:

I'm curious if overfilling a trans reduces the running temperature.

i really wonder about both the temps and foaming if overfilled.

but there is probably (well, maybe) a good reason for the oil level being where it is.

If oil foams, then it fills the voids above the fill level (lubricating higher items such as 4th gear and the mainshaft bearing). There are passageways that require liquid oil that will not work well, but the foamed oil goes everywhere inside, which is arguable "good".

If the foamed oil reaches the breather outlet, bubbles (and oil) will be forced out the breather tube. Leaks could develop at other old, loose seals, or seals that weren't designed for internal trans pressure. Oil can "plug" the breather, and then as trans temperature rises, internal pressure rises too.

If the overfilled trans runs at a lower temperature, and the foam pressure can be "managed", isn't this a good solution?

And when the oil STOPS coming out of the breather, isn't that a good level (or volume)? And what about increasing the volume capability of the breather? What if someone were to put the breather in a 'catch tank' and monitor the trans temperature. Lower temperature is better.

I admit I'm having loads of fun with oil pumping/filtering/cooling....... but this is an avenue that is easier, cheaper and more doable for most members, an option that should be explored to reduce transaxle pain and keep Vanagons rolling.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL oil for longer life? Reply with quote

VW lowered the filling point at 15mm lower than the fill plug in their workshop manual to avoid jumping out of gear, I think 5th gear (4th).
On the other hand a friend in France in the T3 business for 30 years as been filling them an extra liter for well over 2 decades no ill effects...

I don't have better info than this.

Btw, do you see my emails when I answer to you?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Sodo wrote:
One thing to remember about Weddle. Weddle is "racing". The numbers 200, 250F is fine for them because they change oil often. Maybe every race. Oil lifetime at 180F is half as long as 160F. Oil life at 200F is 1/4 as long as 160F. Oil life at 220F is 1/8 as long as 160F. Buying new oil will cost a lot less than an oil cooler system, and is arguably more reliable as long as the guy is willing to go under the van). And changing often is kind of like filtering.

The general 'wisdom' (good guessers) is that 4th gear and the main bearing, being above the oil bath, is much hotter than the tranny average temp or the oil temp.

The other main heat generators are the pinion head and the pinion bearing, which are both submerged in oil.

I'm curious if overfilling a trans reduces the running temperature.

I forget where you obtained the temperature information.. but being a curious individual I just called Mobil to inquire about the Delvac Synthetic Gear lube that I run in my transaxles.. They stated that 200-210° F is a safe operating range for the oil and the package will not have a shortened life span as long as there aren't extended periods of temps above that. Further stating that industry beliefs for mineral based lubes is in the 160° range.

FWIW, I do not filter, cool or monitor my transaxle's temps. Perhaps now I will just to be sure I stay south of 210°

This was info from another thread: "Proposal:Settling metal fines out of gear oil that's still fresh." If you can slog past the strife (of the Samba's past), and constant attempts to halt the discussion (?) repeated clarifications to steer back to the (simple) proposal, good info can be found in those 15 pages.

Lubrication Engineers referring to Dino oil (I think?) said they use 160F as "baseline temp" and claim that oil lifetime is halved with every 18F (=10C) which I rounded to 20F. I was inquiring with Swepco whether I could use gravity to settle the metal contamination out of (expensive) lubricant and re-use it. Swepco said settling is "100%" effective for steel contaminants. I kind of "like" the totality of "100%". Lubrication engineers said that at 150F, oil lifetime is "almost forever". Not taking into account contamination or additive depletion.

It seems that Synthetic should handle higher temps.

Links to posts in the "Settling metal fines" thread:
phonecall with Lubrication Engineers
phonecall with Swepco

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

foaming is pretty much universally 'bad' with respect to lubricity in any lubricant, and it inhibits thermal transfer. that said, we need a glass window on someone's transaxle to see if foaming is occurring.

i've drained my transaxle fluid pretty fast after a drive, essentially waiting until the exhaust is cool, and there is minimal air intrusion but there is SOME. modern oils including gear oils have some pretty strong anti-foaming agents.

so... a little light reading on oil foaming:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30096/prevent-foaming-dispersions

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
foaming is pretty much universally 'bad' with respect to lubricity in any lubricant, and it inhibits thermal transfer. that said, we need a glass window on someone's transaxle to see if foaming is occurring.

True, and thanks for the great Machinery Lubrication link.

I think if the end result is reduced lubricity reduced heat transfer, it may cause an increase in temperature? Whereas a reduction in temperature would be interesting too (and is the goal).

This is something almost any curious person can report on, with an IR temp gun. Much easier for everyone than the SouthAfrica (is this true or legend?) of plexiglas windows. I think everyone would like to see more info on that test, is it anywhere on the web? But even with IR guns, there are variations of techniques, accuracies etc. Probably should do something to verify your IR gun's accuracy on the specific surface measured.

If anyone wants to get involved in testing and reporting, it's good to report under the same conditions. The instructions that came with my IR temp gun said to choose your 'areas' to measure, clean off the target area and spraypaint it flat black.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

If you could pull a constant vacuum on the transaxle, in theory, that should collapse the air bubbles suspended in the oil. Not sure how practical that is.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL oil for longer life? Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
VW lowered the filling point at 15mm lower than the fill plug in their workshop manual to avoid jumping out of gear, I think 5th gear (4th).
On the other hand a friend in France in the T3 business for 30 years as been filling them an extra liter for well over 2 decades no ill effects...

This is slightly OT but....

On my 50º ABA swap with WBX transmission, the engine sits low, probably lower than the OE diesel. I did not lower the tranny at the nose.

Would "overfilling" the transmission help reduce potential oiling issues? Or, is that a concern? Or, in that case, would the excess oil just drain out the vent hole?

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

If you used a boxer tranny nose mount then your tranny angle is still flatter than a stock diesel 2wd van tranny.

Mark
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
If you used a boxer tranny nose mount then your tranny angle is still flatter than a stock diesel 2wd van tranny.

Mark

Yes. I'm using the WBX tranny nose mount.

Right. Arg. Got that one backwards in my mind; the diesel nose mount bracket lifts the tranny nose higher.

Never mind...... Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL oil for longer life? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If you could pull a constant vacuum on the transaxle, in theory, that should collapse the air bubbles suspended in the oil. Not sure how practical that is.

If a vacuum resulted in a flow of air out the breather, it would be taking oil out too, and you'd have to catch that oil. Also there would be a vacuum at the axle seals (to replenish this air) perhaps drawing dirt into the trans.

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Would "overfilling" the transmission help reduce potential oiling issues? Or, is that a concern? Or, in that case, would the excess oil just drain out the vent hole?

The intent is to get more oil to 4th gear and the mainshaft bearing which are above the transaxle oil level. It is theorized by the "big engine crowd" that 4th gear idler and the mainshaft bearing are under duress due to the increased HP. Oiling plates (a modification) are VW South Africa's modification to splash more oil up to 4th gear because they were putting 5-cyl engines in Vanagons for awhile. It seems like VW SA would have tested overfilling, but maybe it caused problems, or at least dripping.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL oil for longer life? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Vanagon Nut wrote:

The intent is to get more oil to 4th gear and the mainshaft bearing which are above the transaxle oil level. It is theorized by the "big engine crowd" that 4th gear idler and the mainshaft bearing are under duress due to the increased HP. Oiling plates (a modification) are VW South Africa's modification to splash more oil up to 4th gear because they were putting 5-cyl engines in Vanagons for awhile. It seems like VW SA would have tested overfilling, but maybe it caused problems, or at least dripping.

< cracks open his Bentley manual >

ok. I see where the 4th gear is. So this potential issue might also apply to 5th on the 5 speed?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

It would not take much vacuum. There are only so many ways to eliminate air bubbles from suspension without using a pump and a reservoir tank which I thought was the exercise of this thread. Crankcases have been running negative pressure for years without dirt being drawn past the seals and oil being drawn out of an engine. So it is solvable.

It's called brain storming.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

Engines designed for PCV probably had seals designed for vacuum. Engine oil does not foam. Overfilling the engine, where the crankshaft slaps the oil into a foam, and then the oilpump sucks foamed oil and can't build any oil pressure, is a pretty certain method to spin a rod bearing.

If a transmission were to foam its oil, and you could find a location that's NOT foamed--- its conceivable that air could be pulled out that's NOT oil-laden.

Does a vacuum reduce foaming, and how? In my simple mind, pressure would keep bubbles compressed, and a vacuum would increase foaming.

Anyway YES this thread is to discuss the attempt to improve oiling the hot 4th gear idle & mainshaft bearing by overfilling. And solving the problems as they come, and thanks for the interest and the brain-power!

Tom Lengyel has been overfilling his transaxle for about 10 years now, and doesn't have any problems to report either way, and does not know the volume added, he just knows it's more. He has not done any overfill temperature testing with overfilled trans, and is now onto pumping/filtering/cooling. Need other volunteer help for this. Wink

boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

The axle seals tend to leak if they are overfilled and I thought the 15mm service bulletin was related to that. Greg
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Engines designed for PCV probably had seals designed for vacuum. Engine oil does not foam. Overfilling the engine, where the crankshaft slaps the oil into a foam, and then the oilpump sucks foamed oil and can't build any oil pressure, is a pretty certain method to spin a rod bearing.

If a transmission were to foam its oil, and you could find a location that's NOT foamed--- its conceivable that air could be pulled out that's NOT oil-laden.

Does a vacuum reduce foaming, and how? In my simple mind, pressure would keep bubbles compressed, and a vacuum would increase foaming.

Anyway YES this thread is to discuss the attempt to improve oiling the hot 4th gear idle & mainshaft bearing by overfilling. And solving the problems as they come, and thanks for the interest and the brain-power!

Tom Lengyel has been overfilling his transaxle for about 10 years now, and doesn't have any problems to report either way, and does not know the volume added, he just knows it's more. He has not done any overfill temperature testing with overfilled trans, and is now onto pumping/filtering/cooling. Need other volunteer help for this. Wink

I'll try to remember to shoot my transaxle on trips this summer and then drain and overfill. It sounds like a perfectly workable bodge to up the cooling and lubrication in the box.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

Sodo,

I have been overfilling my last (2)two transaxles. Not much but I also thought about the advantages of having the oil level higher to help keep more moving parts in a bath of gear oil.

I generally just jack up the passenger side and the van is also parked on a slight incline with the nose up. I fill until the filler bung hole is really loosing oil and slap on the plug.

Over the past two years I did notice that in the summer I would loose gear oil out the breather tube. I installed a catch can and routed the breather to the bottom of it and it catches all the gear oil then when cool it sucks it back in. This catch can has been on the van for over a year and a half. I have not had any seals leaking and have had no ill effects from keeping the transaxle a little full. IDK but I do like knowing there is a higher level of gear oil closer to an already starved main bearing.

As documented my gear oil temperatures usually run 60-70°f above ambient without using the cooler fan. Unless really pressed in third gear up a long grade the gear oil will never reach 150°f. Most of the time it is in the 130°f range during the summer. It struggles to reach 120° during the winter.

Just FYI I am running Swepco 202 full synthetic. Hopefully this information does help to answer your post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

I measure liquid levels for a living. I agree that pressure keeps bubbles compressed. Many facilities with bulk liquids that have foaming potential keep a pressurized nitrogen blanket on those tanks.

If the oil in an overfilled transmission were foaming it would need somewhere to go. My Syncro breather tube is not connected and filled via Ron’s described method. I just ran 300 miles in 95*F South Georgia and my case is dry. I like the catch can idea too.

Wish I’d thought to take my FLIR.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

Didn’t work, sorry Mark

I put a Dyson behind the transmission on a short line and no luck, it still foamed
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

Keep in mind it can’t be static vacuum or pressure, it will fluctuate with heat and cool cycles, so it would have to have a pump to create the desired pressure, positive or negative.

On of the best ideas I ever saw was to seal the breather with a bellows to completely seal the transmissions off, as the breather let’s dirt and dust in. Clean oil last much much longer...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I have been overfilling my last (2) two transaxles.

Over the past two years I did notice that in the summer I would loose gear oil out the breather tube. I installed a catch can and routed the breather to the bottom of it and it catches all the gear oil then when cool it sucks it back in. This catch can has been on the van for over a year and a half. I have not had any seals leaking and have had no ill effects from keeping the transaxle a little full. IDK but I do like knowing there is a higher level of gear oil closer to an already starved main bearing.

SO here it is, one of our own! And I shoulda known! Wink

One would think that the proper oil level that the MFR would choose,,, is the highest you can use without blowing out the vent. Then the fanatic antique'rs add a catch can and go a little higher. This all makes sense.

What DOESN"T make sense is that VW South Africa would design and add oil splash plates, and NOT even test overfilling. One would think, in trying to reverse engineer their decision, that they tested overfilling found it didn't help (or had an un-solvable problem) and rejected overfilling IN FAVOR of the splash plates. Which you must disassemble the trans to install.

Well anyway this is a fun discussion, maybe it will amount to something useful.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: