Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing distributor spring causes no spark?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73ThugBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

Hey guys, need some help figuring out a spark issue with my ‘73 beetle. It randomly stoped making a spark after the ignition coil. I took the distributor apart to replace the points and noticed there was only one spring instead of 2. (Image attached) I know that other distributors have two springs here and wanted to make sure that there is one missing. Could this be the cause of the lack of spark? I will not finish replacing the points until tonight so I won’t know if that is the solution or not for a little while. So, could that missing spring cause issues or is it okay to run the car without it? (I could not find the spring anywhere). If I need a new one, where is the best place to buy one? Thank you in advance. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

if it's an 009 (looks like it), it only uses one spring.
and you don't have to take the distributor apart that far just to change the points.
73ThugBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

Yes, it’s a 009.
And yes, you don’t have to take it apart to change the points, I just wanted to clean it out because it never has been and had a slight build up of dirt inside.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

make sure the advance mechanism is working too.

but to answer your question, a missing spring isn't going to cause a no-spark situation.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

73ThugBug wrote:
It randomly stoped making a spark after the ignition coil.

Do you mean that there is still spark if you check it at the ignition coil, but the spark isn't making it through the distributor cap to the spark plug wires? If the wires are good, sounds like maybe arching to ground inside the distributor cap, or something wrong with the cap or rotor.

The missing spring wouldn't keep the ignition from working, it would just affect the advance mechanism. You would still get a spark, but the timing would be off.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

Check to see if the little graphite button is still in the cap, I've also seen the rotors ground to the distributor shaft.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Check to see if the little graphite button is still in the cap, I've also seen the rotors ground to the distributor shaft.

^^^^

The spark burns right through the rotor! You will see black carbon tracks inside the rotor where it sits on the shaft.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

Ive never removed a points plate with the distributor still installed. Might as well pull it out and rebuild it. You're halfway there.
73ThugBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

I cleaned out the iniside of the distributor, like I said it had a lot of debris. I replaced the points and that solved the spark issue.
But now when I turn the key, it turns over but with no spark until I let off on the key to its regular running position. After a few tries it will start, and run but it only starts when I let off of the key like I said before.
From my research I found that this is likely a failure in either the starter taking all the battery’s power, or the connections in the key housing are bad, any thoughts?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

73ThugBug wrote:
But now when I turn the key, it turns over but with no spark until I let off on the key to its regular running position. After a few tries it will start, and run but it only starts when I let off of the key like I said before.
From my research I found that this is likely a failure in either the starter taking all the battery’s power, or the connections in the key housing are bad, any thoughts?

I'd say it's a bad electrical part of the ignition switch. There are different contacts to the ignition circuit when in the START position and the RUN position.

Here's how to test: use your 12 volt test light (or even DC voltmeter), connect to coil terminal #15 (the positive terminal) and to ground. Have buddy, kid, friend with benefits hold key in start position and cranking, see if you get voltage at that test light. Voltmeter may actually be better if you can get an actual reading there.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

or as a test, you can run a wire from the positive of the battery directly to the positive connection of the coil. Then run around to the drivers seat and try to start the motor with the key. If it starts right up, you know you have an issue with power to the coil on startup. In that case it is most likely the ignition switch.
If it still does not start right, you may have an issue with the battery or the something else like points or fuel cutoff or???

Dont leave the coil attached to the battery directly for too long with the engine not running. It could overheat the coil.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

Follow Cusser’s instructions. Take a voltage reading at the ignition coil #15 terminal WHILE the engine is cranking.
Low voltage means the wiring resistance is too high or the battery is too weak. When the starter is drawing current there is not enough left to make it to the ignition coil so it stops firing. If you test while the engine is NOT cranking all is well.

If you find NO voltage at the #15 while the starter is cranking it could be two things....
    1) The ignition switch electrical connections inside the ignition switch are bad. You need to rebuild or replace your ignition switch (electrical)

2) The wrong circuit has been wired to the ignition coil. There are two OUTPUT wires from the ignition switch: black #15 and black/yellow #X. The #15 circuit normally powers the ignition coil. But there have been cases where the PO will incorrectly wire the #X circuit to the ignition coil. The #X circuit is specifically designed to NOT have power when the key is in the START position. This circuits powers the headlights and wipers which are not critical for starting the engine. But the ignition coil MUST be powered from the #15 circuit which has 12v in both the ON/RUN position and the START position. Sometimes you will find the PO using the #X as an alternate when the #15 circuit fails.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
73ThugBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing distributor spring causes no spark? Reply with quote

Thank y’all for the help. After some research I deduced that the issue is coming from the ignition switch and will be replaced. Confused Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: