Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where can I source Bosch distributor grease?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Anyone have a source?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Believe this is no longer available. I have a tube from decades ago, like 95% full. Look at https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_edsel/distribut...gIbcvD_BwE

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/points-lube.html?gdffi...gLt-vD_BwE

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHML1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

NLA... use the Standard lube.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2178463

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

I saw a tube in line for $235.00.

Try Mallory. It’s getting harder to find, but still doable.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

$225 in my link above.

Glenn wrote:

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

This will work...

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Distributor-Points-and-Input-Shaft-Grease-22058-p/22058.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

$225 in my link above.

Glenn wrote:

I actually saw that. 🙄
What is the next best option? Mallory, lubricam? That dielectric tune up grease, I had read is not suitable for the points rubbing block. Also, how often and how much are you putting on? It goes directly on the rubbing block where it contacts the distributor lines, correct?
Before I started basically doing all the work myself in the past couple years, what vet the mechanic used as lube didn’t work well at all. My first set of points closed up, pitted, and the second set started closing up shortly after. When I installed my 205t, I used the Bosch grease. I was able to track and old vw guy down and I took the distributor to him before I installed it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

I've lubed more points that I bet anyone here. dielectric grease is not like Bosch Distributor Grease, so I would not use it. I've seen everything from wheel bearing grease to candle wax.

I've not see the Standard Lubricam but it "looks" like he best option.

Personally, i'm good for a few more years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Years ago, when you went to the VW dealer and bought Bosch points, you got a tiny gob of grease in a small press container.

And, Frodge, I put a thin layer grease all around the cam, where the points block runs. I’ve seen some who scrape a little onto the inner edge of the cam block; but I always thought that having the grease on there was not going to do anything. It’s the edge of the block that contacts the cam that matters.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I can’t find the Mallory lube anywhere. The lubricam, looks like it’s available. Crazy, what the heck is everyone with a classic car using?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Thanks Tim. I can’t find the Mallory lube anywhere. The lubricam, looks like it’s available. Crazy, what the heck is everyone with a classic car using?

Be glad you can still get points.

Bosch and other OE's have discontinued many models.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Frodge, unless you work on vintage distributors a lot, like Glenn, Bill, etc., a tube will last a lifetime. The makers of these products no longer sell that much of the stuff, so they apparently threw in the towel.

The fact that many just use wheel bearing grease didn’t help out the situation, either.

Also, I suspect a few gougers noticed a few years back that the stuff was getting hard to find, and they bought up as much of the stuff as they could afford.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Frodge wrote:

Be glad you can still get points.

Bosch and other OE's have discontinued many models.

Glenn, what points and condenser is for the 205t. Where is the best place to pick them up....
How long does a set of points and condenser usually last?

Last edited by Frodge on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Also, I suspect a few gougers noticed a few years back that the stuff was getting hard to find, and they bought up as much of the stuff as they could afford.

Tim

Whenever I find a product I use regularly goes NLA, I invest in buying as much current inventory as I can find. This has allowed me not to have to raise my prices in 4 years.

There are people out there that do the same, but then charge exorbitant prices for these parts.

These people do deserve to earn a profit for but not to gouge.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I saw a tube on line for $235.00.

Heck, I'll sell my Bosch tube for half that !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

Glenn, what points and condenser is for the 205t. Where is the best place to pick them up....
How long does a set of points and condenser usually last?

205T used 01 013. There's still NOS Bosch ones available in he classified. I must have a few sets when I find t hem cheap.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&keywords=01013

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

That stuff does last forever.

When I got the GWB years and years ago, someone sent me like a quarter teaspoon worth because I couldn't find it anywhere local.

I still have most of it.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

So the lubricam is the best 2nd choice? Because I got nuttin.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

multi purpose grease is specified in the Bentley's, doesn't have to be Bosch.
And yes, I've been using anything but BOSCH for over 40 years on hundreds and hundreds of points with no problem of it flinging off like the myth states.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where can I source Bosch distributor grease? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
multi purpose grease is specified in the Bentley's, doesn't have to be Bosch.
And yes, I've been using anything but BOSCH for over 40 years on hundreds and hundreds of points with no problem of it flinging off like the myth states.

What do you use specifically? I need some to keep on my bench.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: