Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking for 71 Bus Distributor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
donemoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

Looking for a 71 bus distributor. Like to find a used one at a reasonable price. What other distributors would perform the job with a 34 pict 3 carb? Is there a Beetle carb similiar? Not looking for 009 type.
1966 HD Sprint H
1940 HD ULH Flathead
1985 Electra-glide Classic with Tour-Pac
1968 Harley Rapido

1968 Honda CL Scrambler 175cc
1962 Honda Cub 50 Step-thru
1980 Honda Cub 70
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

Not mine...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2065474
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

Here's a handy reference:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Not mine...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2065474

FYI - basically it says the can is no good on this one as the retard side is hosed.

Quote:
The retard side is not working as it very typical.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

reach out to hazetguy, I think he has one.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

Even though both have roughly the same total advance, the '71 bus distributor is different from bug units in that it has a lot of mechanical advance and not much vacuum advance, giving better torque. Tried both - big difference.

And yes, the vacuum retard diaphragm failure is typical. Because of the carb, can't set the idle properly with a failed one. Good luck finding a good one...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

You may want to buy that distributor and then try and locate a can to go with it. I have one as a spare but I have close to $300 invested in it.

Contact this guy: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=24116
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

The correct distributor for a 1971 Bus is a 211 905 205 Q Bosch # 0 231 173 001. Th vacuum canister for this distributor is very hard to come by NOS. You can find them used and even if the retard side doesn't work they can still be used. The same canister (arm# 853) is used on the 113 905 205 AH distributor used on the 1971-1973 semi auto Beetle. Not the easiest distributor to come by but at least it is an option.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

I seem to always find 205AN distributors there must be a lot of them. Seem fine with Dual Dells. So is the 009 for that matter.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
reach out to hazetguy, I think he has one.

Liar!!! I've got three of them! Razz
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

The one year only 1971 211905205Q distributors are out there but are drying up. When I have one restored, they sell quickly. The 853 vacuum canisters pop up occasionally but there are some folks selling NOS parts that grab them and mark them up aggressively to resell them.

I run one of these 205Q's I restored on my 1971 bus. When matched with the correct base flange number German Solex 34-3 carb, these engines run wonderfully in the heavy bay buses. The 853 vacuum can only advances the timing 3-5 degrees and retard the timing as well. I've run a bug distributor that had a vacuum advance of 10* and hated it. It was simply too much advance for a heavy bus.

The other challenge with the 205Q is finding one that's not worn out. The 1971 thru 1973 DVDA Bosch distributors were the lowest quality distributors made in the 70's IMHO. The points cams were not a very hard material. As such, the distributors would get dirty with dirt and grit. The points cam grease (when the owner used it) would pick up the grit and the points wear block would then grind it into the points cam face, undersizing the points cam lobes. You then see the the points cam not firing exactly 90* apart on the Sun distributor machine. The advance weight pins also wear heavily if the distributor was never taken apart, cleaned and lubed during it's life. Most weren't. Most people also mistakenly throw out the dust cap that keeps all the grit and the carbon from the distributor caps rotor button out of the internals.

These pictures show a heavily worn points cam.

This picture shows the wear on the advance weight pins. I've seen pins worn almost 1/2 way through in used 205Q's.

A side note on these 205Q's- I've taken apart close to a 100 of these the last couple of years. They show the most wear of any aluminum Bosch distributor I restore. Why? Many of them are found to be absolutely filthy with layers of dirt and grit that the distributor ingested during thousands of dusty, dirt road miles on the bus.

You can harvest points cams and advance weight parts from other DVDA distributors that are not heavily worn. The last 205Q I restored required me to take apart a total of 4 DVDA distributors to find enough parts still in spec to restore this one 205Q. That's why the prices are so high for these in fully restored condition.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The other challenge with the 205Q is finding one that's not worn out. The 1971 thru 1973 DVDA Bosch distributors were the lowest quality distributors made in the 70's IMHO.

Totally agree. Those years Bosch dropped the engineering and quality of the materials.

Many are just worn past the point of restoring without needed 2-3 for spare parts. I guess Bosch learned something and improved the design and quality in 1974.

I would never buy one and would only do ones that were supplied by the customer. Just not worth buying one that's junk.

As to the retard, its mostly for emissions, so having a vacuum canister with a non functioning retard would be OK until you find a canister with working advance/retard.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

[quote="Glenn"]
wcfvw69 wrote:
The other challenge with the 205Q is finding one that's not worn out. The 1971 thru 1973 DVDA Bosch distributors were the lowest quality distributors made in the 70's IMHO.

Totally agree. Those years Bosch dropped the engineering and quality of the materials.

Glenn wrote:

Many are just worn past the point of restoring without needed 2-3 for spare parts. I guess Bosch learned something and improved the design and quality in 1974.

Bosch got cheap like VW did in the early 70's. Those DVDA's were a prime example. The materials were much better in 1974 when they changed the design of the internals. The metal hardness was much better. I rarely see wear on the advance weight pins or points cam in 1974 through 1979 Bosch VW distributors.

Glenn wrote:

I would never buy one and would only do ones that were supplied by the customer. Just not worth buying one that's junk.

I won't pay much for any used DVDA. 80% are worn out of spec and as I mentioned, require other cores to make one good one. When I buy a bulk of used distributors, every once in a while I run across a low mileage DVDA. I had one apart that had only a few thousand miles on it. It was like new inside. It was cleaned, re lubricated, restored and it sold in a couple of hours. I took detailed photo's of it apart. Someone smart saw it was like new and grabbed it.

All the DVDA's were a part of the early smog devices for VW to meet the more stringent emission laws. Personally, I think they work best when used with all those "smog" parts like the throttle positioner and altitude correctors. The German Solex 34-3 carbs really need the dash pots installed as well as it slows the throttle down from slamming closed.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

On ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Distributor-Vacuum-Advanc...SwT4ZbIsKE

Check compatibility before buying.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

Rock Auto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...vance,7232

As Glenn said, "Check compatibility before buying".
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

You might want to check the price on those before you press "Buy".

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
You might want to check the price on those before you press "Buy".

Tim, as you know price is set by supply and demand.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

The other option when looking for a 211905205Q distributor is hold out for a NOS in the box one. I found 2 a couple of years ago in Germany. I bought them both. I kept one and sold the other. Nice to have a "good" spare. Wink

BTW, I wouldn't buy any restored distributor from an auto house. They are all Cardone rebuilds. Search "Cardone" on this site. Plenty of folks have discussed and took apart one of these Cardone distributors. To say they are dumpster bait is an understatement.

donemoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

a lot of good information so far. getting a headache from looking at distributors online. will continue on, though.
1966 HD Sprint H
1940 HD ULH Flathead
1985 Electra-glide Classic with Tour-Pac
1968 Harley Rapido

1968 Honda CL Scrambler 175cc
1962 Honda Cub 50 Step-thru
1980 Honda Cub 70
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for 71 Bus Distributor Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
...hold out for a NOS in the box one. I found 2 a couple of years ago in Germany. I bought them both. I kept one and sold the other.

Tease Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: