Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI "ICT" Dumping Fuel / Popping. Advice needed
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: EMPI "ICT" Dumping Fuel / Popping. Advice needed Reply with quote

I could use some help diagnosing a carb / fuel / backfiring/ popping issue.
Type 4 engine (I think it's a 2L), solid lifters.
-recent valve adjust
-009 distributor, advance mechanism working properly, timing set to 32* at high rpm
-pertronix ingition. not super thrilled about the module on the shaft, it seems a bit "loose" or "wobbly", not a nice tight press fit.

The carbs are EMPI (yes, I know, kill me now) copies of Weber 34ICT. They are pretty new, don't have a lot of miles on them.

The carbs seem to be dumping raw fuel at higher rpms, through the center. Please watch the first video. I have been told everything from "that is normal" to "junk those carbs and get some Kadrons (not exceptionally helpful in this situation). There also seems to be popping / backfiring through the carb as this occurs.
I pulled the top of the carb off. Needle and seat are functioning properly. Float is not stuck. Idle mixture screws were set to factory spec (2.5ish turns out).
My initial thought was that the fuel pressure was too high. It tested at just under 5psi. A pressure regulator (dial type) and gauge were installed. Please see the second video.

Any words of expertise would be greatly appreciated. I am not that well versed in dual carbs. Trying to eliminate the popping, and to know if that fuel delivery is how it's "supposed to be" or not, and how to remedy it if it's not.
Is that (non vaporized) fuel delivery through the center of the carb "normal"?
Pressure readings look acceptable?
Any other things to check, recheck, or verify would be helpful.
Thanks a lot.

Dumping raw fuel through center at higher rpms:

Link

Pressure gauge readings:

Link

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI "ICT" Dumping Fuel / Popping. Advice needed Reply with quote

that's not a fuel pressure regulator. It's chit. Get a good one, and get your $ back, you got suckered.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI "ICT" Dumping Fuel / Popping. Advice needed Reply with quote

3 psi max! Used dozens of these, never had any issues....are floats set at 10mm? If not, set them
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI "ICT" Dumping Fuel / Popping. Advice needed Reply with quote

Looked at your video looking into the carb. Yes it's float level is too high or the float is hanging up. Remove the carb clean things up and play with it make sure the float is free to move and that the needle valve works, shuts off the air when you blow on the fuel inlet. Make sure the float is good. If the fuel pressure is over 3 lbs it may have a problem with that but really the float level could be adjusted lower and this would stop that. Carbs need to operate at float levels just below where that happens.
Mine had a lot more stable fuel pressure. Looks like a mechanical pump they jump a bit like that. It could be a problem with the fuel pump making it jump so much. Set the pressure for a max of 2.5 lbs. But yeah, it could be the fuel pump jumping the pressure too much causing the needle valve to over flow it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rockurob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI "ICT" Dumping Fuel / Popping. Advice needed Reply with quote

a few years ago I purchased a new set of the empi epc 34s

must have proper fuel pressure
must have proper float adjustment height

but the third thing I found …. the neoprene needle/seat combo
was not holding the pressure
I resolved by using a Weber all brass needle/seat for both carbs

70 Baja Street Rod Project
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1644125.jpg
Drag Buggy project:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1726674.jpg
61 Rag Project:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1188580
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI "ICT" Dumping Fuel / Popping. Advice needed Reply with quote

rockurob wrote:
a few years ago I purchased a new set of the empi epc 34s

must have proper fuel pressure
must have proper float adjustment height

but the third thing I found …. the neoprene needle/seat combo
was not holding the pressure
I resolved by using a Weber all brass needle/seat for both carbs

Bet this is the problem here too. Well and maybe that jumpy fuel pressure, mine was jumping around a lot worse and I took the top off the fuel pump and found the problem was in the brass check valve that had fallen apart:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: