Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

I did not build this car, but I did help thrash on it in the day's prior to the last Bug In at OCIR in 1983. It is a 1964.It was owned by Hugo Rodriguez and chopped by Herb Weber at his custom shop here in Riverside Ca. I was a punk ass, barely 19 yr old kid at that time.Now when I say helped, I probably just handed out tools ,chased sodas and swept up. I do remember being underneath it installing all those zuess fasteners that held up the louvered belly pan.It was worth the late nights , and the night before the show, we were up all night, but the car won its class "Best full custom" It has always been a great memory of mine.

Fast forward 35 years. The car I thought had long been destroyed or crushed, shows up on a face book page for sale. It brought back some good memories and with the history, I had to have it! A deal was struck and now it's mine. I really hope to revive this car and take it back to where it first debuted, The Bug In 2019.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Are you planning on taking it back to its 1980's glory? Or going to do something new to it?
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

awesome.

please keep us updated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Awesome man!!
Question: Is that Britney Spears gettin’ out of it? She’s showing some leg!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

The farther I get into the hobby, the more incredible stories like yours I come across. It looks like it's still pretty intact! I would be torn between recreating it EXACTLY as it was in the magazine, and recreating it with some modern attributes. I had the stars align for a friends car I did some work on. It was only about 16 years since its creation though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Hahh, cool! I have that issue buried somewhere in my archive. Definitely dug the drumsticks to go with that feathered hair!
Moodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

The car had been stripped of pretty much everything except the body parts at some point in the past. The drive train, the complete interior, wheels, bumpers, gauges and even the belly pan is gone. I will not be restoring it to it's original show state, but it will be basically the same car and the same color. I thought about completely changing the color and everything, but the car has history and that will appeal to many people, and being that I had a personal connection with it, I don't want to dramatically change it.

Last edited by Moodster on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Also, if any of you out there can tell me what issue of Hot VWs magazine would have the coverage of the Bug in #31, I would really appreciate it. I do think I remember that there was a photo of this car and my buddy was sleeping on the asphalt next to it. The show was in October, so it would be one of the early 1984 issues. By the way, My buddy Keith Dean, ( KID ) had his chopped square back on the cover in March of 84. His car was recently restored and is overseas somewhere.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Moodster wrote:
The car had been stripped of pretty much everything except body the parts at some point in the past. The drive train, the complete interior, wheels, bumpers, gauges and even the belly pan is gone.

Well, that makes it easy! I would definitely stick with the same exterior color, but from there, it’s a blank canvas! I vote for a timeless clean/simple interior, color matched BRM’s, and a BIG hammer.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

That is just awesome!!! I guess Facebook is good for something haha

I remember the car from the magazines very well, super cool to see it is still alive.

Always great when the 80’s cars reappear, they really bring me back

Best of luck, I will definitely follow!

Dan
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

What's the gal look like now?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Probably rough around the edges, some hail dents and a sagging belly pan just like the car.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Probably rough around the edges, some hail dents and a sagging belly pan just like the car.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not like any of us are much better!

You need to get some two liter wheels color matched then most people won't notice a lot of the other missing stuff from 83. Neat that you were able to get a piece of your past.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Moodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

This car is now for sale. Its posted in the classifieds.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Awesome man!!
Question: Is that Britney Spears gettin’ out of it? She’s showing some leg!
I doubt she was even born then.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

What's the gal look like now?

Only you would have chimed in that one!
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Very cool! Preserve the history and fif that issue of hvw, put in a zip lock bag under rear seat for future posterity. When I started cleaning my 67 sunroof I found a plaque under rear seat wrapped up from 83. Best restorstion from Socal knights. I though that was cool.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Moodster wrote:

What happened?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Custom, chopped, Hot VW's magazine cover car survivor. Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Moodster wrote:

What happened?

It’s posted in the ad. Life gets in the way sometimes.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2211216
Keep tabs on it. I was involved in creating a very unique 67 for a friend, and was unable to get it when he all of a sudden decided to sell it. A friend within our “circle” of VW enthusiasts ended up with it. I was lucky enough to be able to get it the second time around when he had to unexpectedly sell it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: