Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello from Portsmouth, Va
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Hello from Portsmouth, Va Reply with quote

Hello my name is Nick and I just joined this site. I've been reading posts for a while but just bought an 83 diesel Vanagon camper. The previos owner seems cool and has two other T3's in his driveway. My first problem is that on the drive home from buying it I broke down. The engine was rebuilt less that 1oo miles ago and the p.o. replaced a lot of other parts so I was really bummed. A belt had broken. Here is the thing. All of the info including the fac. manual show two small belts, one going from alt to water pump and one from crank to water pump. Well my water pump has only one pulley. The crank does have two but the outside pulley is not inline with anything. The belt was gone when I pulled over so I don't have it for reference. It has to be one belt that covers all three pulleys. I measured the distance around the pulleys and bought two belts that are closest in inches, 35 and 36. I figured I could try but I would appreciate any help. The po says it was an import from Sweeden if that helps.
-Nick
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Portsmouth, Va Reply with quote

Nick, post a picture of your engine compartment and pulley arrangement. The waterpump pulley should have 2 grooves as well as the crank pulley. From the factory, the waterpump pulley had shims between the pulley halves for adjusting the belt between the crank and the water pump.

A single belt may work, but you don't want to risk the waterpump slipping from lack of tension. Not saying it won't work. That you lost a belt indicates something is not aligned. Welcome to the Samba.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Portsmouth, Va Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ndorian on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Portsmouth, Va Reply with quote

I can see that the alt and water pump dont line up well. So I guess I will start there. Also learned that new canvas on top doesn't mean she doesnt leak. Water on engine deck lid. Heavy rain last night though. Garage took on water too. Oh boy.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Portsmouth, Va Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Portsmouth, Va Reply with quote

That doesn't look rebuilt 100 miles ago to me!
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Portsmouth, Va Reply with quote

Yeah, well the p.o. said built up. I am starting to wonder about some things though. I would really like to learn how to work on it and that is why I joined this site.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: