Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back right wheel smoking?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Took my 1970 bug out for a ride last week, got into a friend's driveway where I pulled the parking brake. I noticed it pulled up higher (more clicks) than usual). Well, stayed for a while and then left. Disengaged the parking brake and drove home. I noticed the ride was rougher on the way home. I got into my driveway where I noticed my back right brake was smoking and the hubcap was hot enough to fry an egg. I have the wheel off and have loosened the shoes using the adjustment star nut on the back. Thoughts on what it might be? The brake is definitely stuck, no doubt. Curious if it may be a cable or a spring issue? Thanks guys (first post!)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Most likely a spring issue. Unless you messed with the brake pushrod length recently.

Likely you'll need a brake hardware kit and have to clean stuff up. Make sure the shoes are fully in the slots. I'd do both rears, then readjust the brake shoes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Internally collapsed brake hose or a binding parking brake cable.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Most likely a spring issue. Unless you messed with the brake pushrod length recently.

Likely you'll need a brake hardware kit and have to clean stuff up. Make sure the shoes are fully in the slots. I'd do both rears, then readjust the brake shoes.

Thanks for the tip, as soon as I get the drum off I'll check.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Yes, these are possibilities too. I've experienced the brake hardware part myself.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Yes, these are possibilities too. I've experienced the brake hardware part myself.

I've noticed with the parking brake down the back brake is still stuck. Trying to back out of the driveway the back right wheel actually acts as if it's going over a speed bump or rolling over something.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

edit bad reading skills
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink

Last edited by 60ragtop on Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Internally collapsed brake hose.

I vote for this since it's happened to me a couple times on cars I bought.

Open the bleeder valve, if fluid sprays out and now the wheel spins freely, that's your problem.
Jacking up the car may make it easier to tell.
Step on the brakes pedal a few times and if the wheel is stuck again, definitely the rubber hose.
If one is bad, change both sides or even better, all 4.

If it was hot enough to start smoking, be prepared to need new seals on the wheel cylinder, you might have melted them.
I've done that before. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

I had stuck rear brakes on my 1971, needed new brake hardware and not hoses.

Bottom line is no one knows for sure. Open the bleeder valve, that should help isolate if it's free then !!!
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Internally collapsed brake hose.

I vote for this since it's happened to me a couple times on cars I bought.

Open the bleeder valve, if fluid sprays out and now the wheel spins freely, that's your problem.
Jacking up the car may make it easier to tell.
Step on the brakes pedal a few times and if the wheel is stuck again, definitely the rubber hose.
If one is bad, change both sides or even better, all 4.

If it was hot enough to start smoking, be prepared to need new seals on the wheel cylinder, you might have melted them.
I've done that before. Smile

I think you guys are right. Took my boot off the e-brake and I've got play in both cables so they're not seized.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Deebs756 wrote:
I think you guys are right. Took my boot off the e-brake and I've got play in both cables so they're not seized.

I think that "seized cables" were a less likely scenario.
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Deebs756 wrote:

I think that "seized cables" were a less likely scenario.

My terminology sucks, I'm new to mechanics but I'm trying to learn!!
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

If it is a brake hose, will I be able to replace without bleeding the master cylinder?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Deebs756 wrote:
If it is a brake hose, will I be able to replace without bleeding the master cylinder?

You have to bleed the brakes after a hose or wheel cylinder replacement but nothing directly related to the master cylinder other keeping the reservoir full while you bleed
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

if the hubcap was hot enough to fry an egg, the wheel cylinders rubber bits maybe damaged, it would make sense to examine it internally. Wheel cylinders are cheap, might be worth replacing, check it out.

Shoes may also have been damaged, check appearance of the shoe, make sure lining is not separating from the shoe. compare shoes to that on opposite side, if one is really worn more than other, it is wise to replace the entire rear set for even braking action.

If hot enough, the oil seal found on early Bugs (swing axle) maybe damaged. if later Bug with IRS the bearing grease may have over heated.

The damage all depends on how hot it got.

Next time the Bug is not acting normal, stop and inspect before driving more.

Bug On, Now Stop It!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

One thing I don't see mentioned is the wheel cylinder. When they get rusty inside they may seize. The pressure when using the brakes will expand them but the rust will keep them from returning.

If cracking and tightening the bleeder causes that wheel to spin free again it is likely the flex hose. If it leaves the wheel stuck it is likely a rusted wheel cylinder.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

I had an issue similar to this a few months ago on my (since sold) '72 Super Beetle. I'm not ASE certified or anything, but I replaced spring kits, wheel cylinder, soft lines (steel-braided lines actually) and it kept happening. The problem in my case ended up being an out of round drum. That was the last thing that occurred to me since the drum wasn't even 3 years old, but there you have it. Cheap chinese drum.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Okay guys, finally got the drum off and got some investigating done! Top spring isn't moving at all?

There is quite a bit of play in the parking brake cable when it is disengaged, and wobbles back and forth. As if it is not sitting flush against everything else. I noticed when it was engaged and then disengaged, the front shoe does not move at all.
Take a look at my photos, and please watch the video (only 41 seconds) and let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/U-dH91Iu4Dk

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Deebs on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Deebs756 wrote:

Your horizontal spacer bar is installed incorrectly.
The same part is used on BOTH sides, VW didn't make a mirror image part for the right side. So on the right side the "channel" in the middle must face up. There also should be a clip to help hold that spring in place.

See these right side photos, the second photo shows it best.

Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Back right wheel smoking? Reply with quote

Cusser, I see what you're saying. Thanks for the help. I guess this would explain why these are backwards and does not hold the parking brake lever as it should.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: