Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission grumbling
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
The other box is in the Bug being driven around. I still wanted to drive the Bug a little rough, so I got that used tranny.

Are you saying I should purchase another one before heading your direction? I can. I just have to find one. Took me a few weeks to find the one in the Bug.

Scott, don't worry. I wont be messing anything up, more than it already is.

I just want to see how that tool interacts with the tranny. It almost looks like it needs a set of bearings on it!?!? But I am unsure, as I have only been able to see it in the wooden box.

The problem with the tool is you need to use it before you take apart the box to determine original pinion depth, so you can verify it going back together. VW stopped marking the ring and pinions in 66/67, they figured the r/p was not going to be re-used. If you like I believe I have a 3.88 core we could start with. It just seems for the amount of work we should build what you want in the end and not just a "get you by". If you like I can get the parts, diff, cover ect. and sell them to you for what you would buy them for from Weddle. No additional cost to you.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
The problem with the tool is you need to use it before you take apart the box to determine original pinion depth, so you can verify it going back together. VW stopped marking the ring and pinions in 66/67, they figured the r/p was not going to be re-used. If you like I believe I have a 3.88 core we could start with. It just seems for the amount of work we should build what you want in the end and not just a "get you by". If you like I can get the parts, diff, cover ect. and sell them to you for what you would buy them for from Weddle. No additional cost to you.

Ah ha! See, this is the shit that comes from experience! Damn it!

That sounds great! My only issue is not fully knowing exactly what I want, or what amount of money it will take. I like the gear set in the 75, that in it right now. The shift points seem decent, maybe a little slower off the line, but I do not race it. I do drive it hard. The gas pedal is either sitting doing nothing or floored. I cannot help myself. Additionally, I would eventually like to drive it down the freeway. So, if I could cruise at 75 - 80 without having the engine scream at me the whole time, that would be great.

The past tranny showed me that the differential is a weak point in the system. Never gave much of it any thought before now. I am all ears and really receptive to your suggestions. Already been through enough crap with the engine. And I really do not want to have to rebuild it after we go through it, so, WWSD (what would Scott do)?

Welded thrid and fourth, from my knowledge base seem like base line improvements, along with a four spider geared diff 091?, with a 10/15 tooth on the spider gears. Better diff side covers. Beyond that, I know nothing.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Start with a late 3:88 box, use the 3-4 sets from an earlier box (the one you're messing with) Modify them for the 002 mainshaft, install a super diff and hd cover and be done with it.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Start with a late 3:88 box, use the 3-4 sets from an earlier box (the one you're messing with) Modify them for the 002 mainshaft, install a super diff and hd cover and be done with it.

Awesome! Lets get er done! See you soon!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

I want to preface this post off to the administration. I tried writing this so that it would not be removed. Please give me an opportunity to change it if needed, before removing or locking. As I do not want to see this thread get removed. There is still a lot to document! Thanks!

Soooooo, it has been a few weeks and I am finally heading into a excellent direction thanks to Scott of Metal Craft Motorsports, in Sanger, California! This gentleman went out of his way to lend a hand to a struggling fool! Man, I was trying, but I was trying WAY to hard! Scott has shown me that there is another, more efficient and better way to disassemble and then reassemble a Volkswagen transmission. Scott is a generous man, not only to myself but to several others, as I witnessed in the 12 hours I was with him. He had a few other guys in his shop, working on their own stuff, all under his super vision. I was there under that umbrella as well and was simply flabbergasted at the amount of knowledge and energy he has! Scott, I will never stop preaching your name to those in need of transmission services or engine services. You truly are gifted and have a shop which can handle everything! I mean everything. There was a 60 vintage Chevy pick up in his shop being completely rebuilt, with a bad ass engine! And after all was said and done, Scott, his two friends (I cannot remember there names, forgive me, my memory has issues) and myself enjoyed a beer together before I drove back down to my home.

He even has a Dyno!!!! Damn, I want one of those! And the space to have it in!

So, here is what went down. I worked the 9th of August, the entire day, in the sun for part of it and in an attic for the rest of it. I worked till 3:00PM so that I could get home, empty part of the truck and load up the truck, for the next day. On the way home from the jobsite, my service truck decided to break down. So, I managed to limp it to the shop I have repair it, Schmidty's Garage. The wife meet me there and then drove me to Enterprise so that I could rent a car to drive up to Sanger California to meet up with Scott the next morning. I was not going to miss this opportunity!

I left my home around 3:30am, so that I could beat traffic through Los Angeles. Hit a few slow downs but no complete stopping. Continued to Sanger, 246 miles, making it to Scott's door around 8:30 - I think. I am super tired at this point, working off of 8 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours.

This is not the actual morning of, but it is what I pulled up to! Can you picture me smiling! I mean SMILING! Puts a smile on my face just typing it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Scott, walked out and greeted me. Introducing me to a few friends that were working on their own projects. All awesome guys! I enjoyed meeting them and talking with them. Really cool crowd hanging out at MCM Motorsports.

Scott, had me pick out a tranny from his pile of cores. I think he picked it out and I just agreed and picked it up (He has way more knowledge than myself). I got it on the engine stand and he had me disassemble it, well I helped. Well, (again my memory sucks) I think it was more me watching him disassemble a tranny. As he worked, he took the time to review all of the parts that where removed and educated me on all the high and low points. Thats right, he taught me more than just rebuilding, he taught me the strengths and weaknesses of the beast! And since my short term memory totally sucks (brain surgery is a bitch!) thankfully, my long term memory works awesome!

Got the tranny apart and then got into cleaning it all up. Again, Scott instructed me on what he expected and how best I could accomplish the task, using his tools. Then he would leave and go help another one of his friends. I got to blast the case in the hot solvent blasting cabinet. Never used one of those before. It was every mechanics dream parts cleaner! Then all the parts went into the turbo washer. I got to remove them, rinse them, dry them and lay them out. Then the fun started to happen.

Scott immediately started transforming parts. He picked a few from the array of Volkswagen transmission parts in his possession, which have all been binned and sitting on shelves - cataloged, clean and ready to go! He plucked an 091 hub and machined it to engage with the type 1 slider (I think those were the names of the parts). He does these tasks and does them easily, quickly and habitually. He seems to be on auto pilot most of the time, but he would stop and take the time to walk me through the processes and reasoning; educating me and informing me of what and why he thought these things would work, for my application.

Here Scott is on the lathe, removing some material, from the 091 hub, so that it would fit.

He set me up with a Super Diff. 10/15 spider gears (I think). Hope I am getting this all written correctly. It was really cool watching how he assembled the differential, as I had disassembled the old one and then reassembled the used one. He showed me easier ways to remove and install the carrier bearings. Man, I felt like an idiot as he was doing it! Why did I not think of that!

Here he is greasing up the spider gears, getting ready to close the diff up. Again, checking and educating me the entire time.

He then went through removing and reinstalling the pinion bearings. He assembled (me helping here and there) the final drive shaft, placing the diff in, setting the preload of the side cover, which is an aluminum stout cover! He checked pinion play and main shaft play.

Stupidly, I got so wrapped up in getting my hands into the project, I forgot to take more pictures! Damn it!

At the end of all the assembling, Scott and myself managed to get this improved transmission together. I think it is beyond words, but for something, AWESOME, FUCKING AWESOME! Picture is after it got back to the house and I put it back on the stand, just so I could get this picture, of the after shot.

And the before.

Hands down, one of the better experiences in my life, in regards to cars and learning new stuff! I cannot thank Scott or his business Metal Craft Motorsports, enough for the time, energy, knowledge, patience and friendliness! Thank you Scott!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Well done . Many kudos to mc for the time spent and teaching provided.
Ow get tha sucker back on the road Cool
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Glad I could help out, it was a genuine good time.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Glad I could help out, it was a genuine good time.

What a guy! Cool
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Well done . Many kudos to mc for the time spent and teaching provided.
Ow get tha sucker back on the road Cool

You know it will be as quickly as I can! The only thing stopping me from staying home and plugging it into the car, is work. Damn it! Always getting in the way. Possible this weekend, IF work does not call me to duty.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

there is always a faster better eazer way to do things than the way we do it when we dont know all the proper in's&outs like somebody like mcmscott. great thread. there are many builders that dont know 1/4 of what he does.and some that do know 1/4 of what he does but also know the shortcuts that....dont always work...or shouldent be performed. the gears he welded for me looked almost like lazer welds.and when I had a issue he told me...rong part use this one..or that one...all over the phone(execpt for the welding).
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
there is always a faster better eazer way to do things than the way we do it when we dont know all the proper in's&outs like somebody like mcmscott. great thread. there are many builders that dont know 1/4 of what he does.and some that do know 1/4 of what he does but also know the shortcuts that....dont always work...or shouldent be performed. the gears he welded for me looked almost like lazer welds.and when I had a issue he told me...rong part use this one..or that one...all over the phone(execpt for the welding).

Yes sir! Mark, Mr. Scott, is a cut above the rest. He amazed me, during the entire process. Having worked in the VW shop scene for several years, I had a rough idea of what I was going to walk into that day. I expected to see machinery, parts and oil. What I did not expect was how advanced MCM is. I figured it was going to be a small shop with a few tools. Instead I walk into a large mechanic shop, with just one lift in the center, with a 54 convertible Bug on it! That was cool! Several other vehicles in the shop, all at different levels of repair. And parts for transmissions, in bins at most walls.

Mr. Scott's knowledge is unmeasurable and his skill level is on that same playing field. Now, to me, what really set him apart from the crowd is his heart! He has one. And as a customer, it is a large benefit to be able to talk with the man, which will actually be assembling the transmission. That kind of service is fast dying. And his care for each item he was involved with that day I was there was just amazing! He just truely cares! I drove away, knowing I would go back and visit at some point int the future. He became a friend that day. Just a really cool guy, making his way through the world, and sharing what he knows with those that want to pay attention to him!

On that same note, after this experience, I have really been thinking about my actions as a consumer, in this hobby. I think we all loose sight of this hobby and how it will continue to move forwards. Basically, if we stop supporting guys like Scott, they will not be around and thus, the hobby will follow the same end. So, I feel like we all need to support these businesses and owners, out in the VW marketplace. Guys like Scott and his business MCM Motorsports. The knowledge which these businesses posses is grand and we would be at a loss without them or that knowledge.

Been thinking about that for several days, just appreciating what was given to me. Just amazing! Thank again Scott!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

No, thank you!!I know that I come accross as an ass on forums, I think you thought I was a dick as well,then delt with me in person , but I really do like helping people, I'm just harsh around the edge. I'm OK with it, folks can call me what they want, most of them do untill they meet me in person. I do know this, no one has left my shop upset, ever. Thank you again for the kind words and an awsome Friday in the shop!

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Well, got the oil ordered at lunch today. Tried finding time between appointments, to pick it up locally, but I have failed. So, I finally gave up and ordered it from Amazon.

Redline 58204 Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil, as per MCM Scott. Supposed to be here on Thursday. Can you all guess what I will be doing on Saturday?!?! I will give you a hint, I am installing this awesome tranny and going for a drive!

Is this the correct oil, Scott?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Well, got the oil ordered at lunch today. Tried finding time between appointments, to pick it up locally, but I have failed. So, I finally gave up and ordered it from Amazon.

Redline 58204 Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil, as per MCM Scott.

That's the stuff!
I went through Amazon also . . . I was unable to find it locally.
I bought the gallon size though.

Cool that ya got yer transaxle all squared away Jimbo.
I put another thousand miles on my MCM trans just last week . . . road trip!
I thought that Scott went out of his way just for ME when he did my transaxle . . . guess he puts out extra effort for everybody!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Redline 58204 Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil, as per MCM Scott. Supposed to be here on Thursday. Can you all guess what I will be doing on Saturday?!?! I will give you a hint, I am installing this awesome tranny and going for a drive!

Thats the stuff!!

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

I was curious to try the shockproof, but it has a warning about being to slippery for synchros so I been using the Redline "NS".

Does the shockproof shift ok?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Great to hear such a good story. Thanks Jimbo for sharing and thank you Scott for stepping up and offering your knowledge and shop space.

Olli
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
I was curious to try the shockproof, but it has a warning about being to slippery for synchros so I been using the Redline "NS".

Does the shockproof shift ok?

Never had a problem with it. It is in my 67 that I drag race.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
No, thank you!!I know that I come accross as an ass on forums, I think you thought I was a dick as well,then delt with me in person , but I really do like helping people, I'm just harsh around the edge. I'm OK with it, folks can call me what they want, most of them do untill they meet me in person. I do know this, no one has left my shop upset, ever. Thank you again for the kind words and an awsome Friday in the shop!

Some people are nice, and talk ALOT. (Like they cant stop). But character is less about what we say and more about what we do. The world has alot of folks that talk super nice, then stab someone in their back later, or simply flake and never help when their needed.

I would much rather have a friend/do business with that is rough around the edges and helps/stands by their word as compared to someone that talks a million fluffy words and flakes when they are needed.

Thanks for helping out yet another vw buddy, cool to see jim learn and get that thing together!

Last edited by jpaull on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thats the stuff!!

Thanks! Wanted to double check!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: