Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission grumbling
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Good point Nick.
I might have been smart to check the backlash on the R&p before taking it apart so you knew where it was running.

I set one tighter thinking I was smart but then it hummed a little at high speeds, after 10,000 miles now it's quiet again. Oops, but, lesson learned.

I thought of that before removing it. I also, just listened to the ring of the gears. I need to mimic that tone. Going to be an education!!!!

Class begins in a few weeks!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Looks like that shim got hot at some point. Tried to go cone shaped but it could not, so it cracked instead.
Stuck in the sand one wheel turning?? hardcore offroaders break anything. That's how I learned most of this. My buddies did all the R&d testing Laughing

Thank you! You know I was going to ponder this one for days! I am just programmed like that!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Look what I got today!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My kids think I am crazy dancing around singing about new parts!! I am just so excited to making progress, instead of being static!

Let’s see if I can get the old tranny back together in a few weekends. That will let me tear the newer one down, so I can order more parts!

Yes, that is a .82 4th gear. I absolutely hate hearing my engine scream while flying down the freeway. Now it won’t scream as loud!

Going to need some help setting up the end play on the diff and the lash at the gears, so be prepared for lots of questions to come!

Gears, that's a steel shift fork, thanks for the tip!

Wish me luck!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

I love getting new parts. From Weddle at that, even better!

Good luck on the trans rebuild. You got some Big Balls doing this!
You seem to be a capable guy so maybe this will be easy for ya.

I can do a motorcycle trans no sweat. Old Chevy 3-4 speeds? Yep I have been there, done that. VW tunnel? Forgetaboutit!

Have fun. I'll be reading on while this goes together.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I love getting new parts. From Weddle at that, even better!

Good luck on the trans rebuild. You got some Big Balls doing this!
You seem to be a capable guy so maybe this will be easy for ya.

I can do a motorcycle trans no sweat. Old Chevy 3-4 speeds? Yep I have been there, done that. VW tunnel? Forgetaboutit!

Have fun. I'll be reading on while this goes together.

Thank you! Assembled the shafts again tonight and inserted them into the front carrier case. I was going to put a taller fourth gear on the shafts, but I could not get fourth gear to separate from its synchro ring. Tried for a long while.

Did get all the bearings removed and replaced.

Sorry no pictures. Was more busy putting the shafts in the press and holding things than I* was thinking about the camara.

Also installed the races into the diff side covers. Put the race in the freezer and the side cover on a hot plate for 15 minutes. Then quickly took the bearing race out of the freezer and dropped it into the cover. Easy breezy!

The rest of the bearings were all on the press! Fun, fun, fun!

Hoping I got some time tomorrow!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Please keep the detailed pictures and discussion coming. This is the most understandable trans thread I've seen. It gives me a glimmer of hope that, someday, I might be able to successfully tear into my own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
Please keep the detailed pictures and discussion coming. This is the most understandable trans thread I've seen. It gives me a glimmer of hope that, someday, I might be able to successfully tear into my own.

Was unsure if it was helping out anyone. Since you spoke up. I will go back through, I will have to stage stuff, and fully document my processes. That way, anyone can see the process, because it is not rocket science. As I was told several hundred thousand times growing up fixing stuff. “1 mind and 2 hands built it, 1 mind and 2 hands can take it apart!” Those are words preached to me as a child(age5 and up) from my grandfather. He is currently 95 years old, this past June He still fixes most things at his own home! He is fully independent and determined to live life! I love my Grandpa. Great guy with a sharp mind. He hot rodded model Ts till he was 70! Started that when he was 12 with his older brothers.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Chad1376 wrote:

Was unsure if it was helping out anyone. Since you spoke up. I will go back through, I will have to stage stuff, and fully document my processes. That way, anyone can see the process, because it is not rocket science. As I was told several hundred thousand times growing up fixing stuff. “1 mind and 2 hands built it, 1 mind and 2 hands can take it apart!” Those are words preached to me as a child(age5 and up) from my grandfather. He is currently 95 years old, this past June He still fixes most things at his own home! He is fully independent and determined to live life! I love my Grandpa. Great guy with a sharp mind. He hot rodded model Ts till he was 70! Started that when he was 12 with his older brothers.

Hey Chad and anyone else. I tried to tear it back down and reassemble while taking pictures. It was not possible, as I did not want to ruin one of the hubs. It was not moving and I did not want to press harder. Don't worry, the SSC tranny is going to get a complete overhaul after this one goes back into service!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Well, busy day today!

Rebuilt the new to me differential. Installed new bearings. Placed the bearings on the range for several minutes and froze the diff housing for 10 minutes. Dropped right on. Dropped the cleaned up gears and axle into the diff and reinstalled the pin, loose, so I could check and set the end play on the drive shafts. Get this. One of those shims as you can recall was damaged from, as Modak described, spinning the wheels in the sand!

Anyways, I had two shims from the original diff, which amazingly, one of the two was the right size to get me into spec on the free play. Got to love it when shit works in your favor! I relish these moments!

First I pressed the diff cover races out of the covers. Easy breezy, nothing special. Kind of like bearings in a front brake rotor. Putting them in was super easy. Learned this trick when I was wrenching. You stick the differential bearing races in the freezer (dont tell the wife) and heat up the side cover on the stove. Do this while the wife is out shopping or working and use the oven mitts or the welding gloves!!

Diff side covers on the range. Bearing races in the freezer, about 10 minutes for both parts.

Same with the diff housing. Bearings on the range, housing in the freezer.

Then drop the race into the cover. Done! Oh yeah, to keep the bearings parts together I marked the diff covers long side and short side. That's going to be important in the future.

After getting the diff together, I set up the dial indicator and measured the free play. Smack dab in the middle, maybe a little tighter.

All together cleaned up with new bearings, free play checked and verified. Double checked the torque of the bolts. Called it done. The diff and the covers went into a box until it is there turn to be installed in the tranny.

Rebuilt differential. Onto the gears!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Had more time today than I normally do!!!!

I had already stacked the gear shafts and pressed everything together. The new hub was installed. I also bought a .89 fourth gear set from Weddle, but the new set did not come with a cone or synchro. I should have asked when on the phone, but I got wrapped up in talking with the guy about the different lines of gears that are available.

Anyways, I purchased a .89 4th from their Sportsman line of gears. I do not plan on using this tranny very long and may end up selling it after everything is completed. Sorry, side tracked right there.

When I purchased the 4th gear set, I did not think I would have an issue getting the hub off of the old gear. Hah! I set that thing in the press and pressed. Nothing. While under pressure, I heated it up a little bit, nothing. So, I am thinking it is welded on. So, I called Weddle to get a hub and a synchro for my new 4th gear. Get this --- "We do not have the hubs anymore." WHAT?????

So, long to short. Not changing out 4th gear as planned. That sucks, because it would have been nice for cruising down the freeways! Thank goodness the engine can safely rev up to 9000rpm!

So, deflated regarding the fourth gear issue. I blew it off and moved forwards. I set the shafts into the jig today and adjusted the shift rods.

Pulled the jig off of the gearset. Then prepped the tranny.

Set the tranny case onto the engine stand to install reverse gear. Used a woodworking clamp and a 2x4! I did not hit it with a hammer, like I have seen hundreds of times. I then installed the keeper bolt and spun it.

Little tip. The compression sleeve arond the reverse gear shaft does not just slide right into the housing. It must be compressed to fit in there. There are some tricks and tools for this, but I found a easy way today! I took a hose clamp, place it around the sleeve and screwed the adjuster into the clamp until the sleeve was compressed small enough to slide in with a firm pressure from a wood working clamp. When it was in by about 75% of that compression sleeve, I simply removed the clamp by unscrewing it all the way. Then utilized the clamp for the remaining portion!

Reverse gear installed. I down - four to go!

Grabbed the gear section and inserted it into the tranny. Set the shim in the tranny first. Used a little dab of vasoline to hold it in place, while I slide the pinion through that space. Started the big Pinion nut and hand tightened it. Installed the 8mm washers and nuts at the housing and torqued them all to spec. I have a habit of turning shafts as I tighten, so I did this during the tightening. Double checked everything and then tightened up the pinoin nut, as tight as I could get it with what I had, a block of maple and a hammer. My buddy is machining me out a pinion nut socket. Hoping to have it within the week, because there is NO WAY I am spending $230.00 on that socket! I will get it made!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Woke up this morning itching to get the tranny finished. Was not going to wait for a tool to be machined So, I decided to build the socket myself. Took a 1/8 x 2 inch piece of cold steel and machined away on it with a jig saw and a mill file.

Here is half of the socket plate in the vise.

Cleaning up the burrs.

I then took a differential flange I had laying around and welded the toothed steel segments to the bottom lip.

I then took a 3/4 drive to 1/2 drive socket reducer and shoved it down in the splined hole, so that I had a way to get my torque wrench on there.

I then welded that reducer to the hub. Then test fit it. The welds for the extension piece at the inside of the flange were not allowing me to fully engage the teeth on the nut. So, I had to do some grinding.

I then did some finish grinding on my outside edge welds. They are not pretty welds, that flange steel was popping while it was being welded, but it stuck the steel together!

Checked the fit, it was perfect. That is when I realized that reverse gear is in the way of the socket, so I ground off about a half inch section across one side of the flange. I then torqued that nut to 160 ft lbs, per Bently. I then loosened it and then retorqued it for a second time. Tool held up and has enough left in it for several more trannies. Cost me nothing in materials, as my business buys the gas and other supplies. The labor was free, since it was sooo fun!!!! Total time to make that socket was 3 and 3/4 hours.

All good. Tranny turns nicely.

Decided to set the diff into the tranny. Installed the passenger side diff cover.

Rolled the tranny over to expose the other side. Slide in the mainshaft, while simultaneously slipping the snap ring onto the shaft. Then iinstalled reverse gear onto the input shaft. Threaded it onto the geared housing portion of the input shaft and slide reverse gear into place, meshing it with the reverse selector gear.

Then dropped the previously assembled diff down into the tranny, engaging the pinion gear.

I then took an old diff cover I had purchased and popped the bearing race out of it. Removed the shims in back of the bearing and reinstalled the bearing race. I then cut a pie shape out of the old diff cover, so I can check pinion engagement and set ring gear play. Also need to figure out what size shim to put under the new bearing race of the side cover.

Will figure out how to take measurements this week.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
fastone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Jim
Your pinion bearing is not all the way in. There's a notch it go's in to.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

fastone wrote:
Jim
Your pinion bearing is not all the way in. There's a notch it go's in to.

Can you illuminate it better. I did not replace the pinion bearings. The pinion shaft is assembled as how it was originally. All I did was clean the pinion bearings and inspect them. It all seems to be turning freely, no binding. Can you circle the photo you see the issue in. If it is wrong, now is the time to fix it!
Thank you!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

I think he means on the inside, pinoin bearing has some flat or hex that keeps it from turning while you tighten the nut, and maybe that isn't lined up.
The pinion nut went on farther in the 'before picture"
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Just curious if you ran the gears when you adjusted the forks? You have to turn the gears when you adjust the forks so you can see if anything is binding.
Turning the gears will give you an idea how the gears engage from gear to gear.

Also, that is a nice tool you made for the pinion nut but there is a proper tool for that. That nut takes some torque. You don't want to be under torqued or the bearing could walk.

The pinion bearing has flats on it. Make sure the flats match the back of the case. The bearing could get hung up.

I thought you got a steel fork for the 1st/2nd slider?

My advice is get you some other trans to build up your extra parts supplies. I collect all the gears laying around at swapmeets. You get them cheap there. Probably someone trying their had at rebuilding and gave up.

You seem to be doing pretty good. Nice work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I think he means on the inside, pinoin bearing has some flat or hex that keeps it from turning while you tighten the nut, and maybe that isn't lined up.
The pinion nut went on farther in the 'before picture"

Thank you! I get it now! I will check it out this week. That tool I made as going to get another work out!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Just curious if you ran the gears when you adjusted the forks? You have to turn the gears when you adjust the forks so you can see if anything is binding.
Turning the gears will give you an idea how the gears engage from gear to gear.

Yes, I was turning and checking the stacks the whole time. Went through the gears several times making small adjustments. And the whole time I am thinking, “Sure hope I am getting this right, because if not, I will have to pull it all back apart!”

Quote:
Also, that is a nice tool you made for the pinion nut but there is a proper tool for that. That nut takes some torque. You don't want to be under torqued or the bearing could walk.

The tool torque the nut to 160 ft lbs, according to Bently, if I am remembering correctly. Then the tool loosened the nut and I then retorqued it, as per the Bently manual. It worked awesome. Next time I will make the gear ring out of 1/4 material. The 1/8 is a little too much like “AHHH”, during the torquing.

Quote:
The pinion bearing has flats on it. Make sure the flats match the back of the case. The bearing could get hung up.

Thank you! I get to go exploring again!

Quote:
I thought you got a steel fork for the 1st/2nd slider?

I did! But it was to wide to work with the grooves slider. I would have needed to machine one of them and since I will be rebuilding the 76 tranny as the better one. Figured to just make this one stock. No big deal. It will become my backup tranny or get sold.

Quote:
My advice is get you some other trans to build up your extra parts supplies. I collect all the gears laying around at swapmeets. You get them cheap there. Probably someone trying their had at rebuilding and gave up.

Again, thank you for that nugget! I will go searching the swap meets!

Quote:
You seem to be doing pretty good. Nice work.

Thank you! I really am just a beginner. Just a student in life, trying to get my homework turned in on time!

Thank you![/quote]

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

So, got home earlier than expected! Always a plus for the day!

Tore the tranny back apart to reset the pinion gear shaft correctly. Now, I have a problem that I am at a lose on. I took the gear carrier section out, reinstalled the really thin shim that (I believe) was there originally. I also thought the 2mm washer was next to the shim, inside the gear carrier section. However, as I am reading the Bently bible, it is telling me to put the 2mm washer on the diff side in before the nut. But, the tranny case has a recess there at the pinion nut and that washer does not fit down in the recess. What is the order? Does the 2mm washer go on the inside with the shim. If it does then I do not have a washer for my pinion nut, unless it is what I am calling a shim. That “shim” is super thin.

Can someone illuminate for me the correct order. Thank you.

2mm shim or washer?

What Bently is showing me.

If I put that 2mm washer in it hits the reverse gear. Is that what the cut is for?

And do these two recesses in the pinion threads face the drivers side?

Thanks in advance! Because I am a moron and now second guessing stuff. But because I would rather ask then have it go boom! Been there several times! I am older now and wiser!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Slow down,, be patient,,, If you want, next week you can bring all your stuff here and leave with a built trans. About 4 hours away drive time. Just let me know the day.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Slow down,, be patient,,, If you want, next week you can bring all your stuff here and leave with a built trans. About 4 hours away drive time. Just let me know the day.

Too funny!

I want to rebuild one of these trannies. Had the opportunity to learn when I was wrenching at Dick Roy's. Kicking myself in the ass for that. Instead, I got thrust into rebuilding automatic trannies, 7004R, Turbo 350, C4 all domestics.

Got to tear a couple of Toyota trannies down, but there again. Instead of being able to rebuild them, I would get yanked to go figure out why the 735i has a flat spot when depressing the throttle at 60mph. Driveability issues were my bread and butter for years!

Want to be able to rebuild a mabual tranny, then I can say I have repaired every part of Bugs. I mean every part! It is my last hill to climb.

Wanna answer my question and support my quest or talk?

I know you know the answer! I am picking up that big tool that sits between the diff bearings to measure pinion depth. Found one, locally, through word of mouth! So awesome! Hoping to get it by the weekend. Damn, thing is like gold in cost! All part of the price to pay for the education! Right?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: