Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator issue
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Alternator issue Reply with quote

I just ran into a problem that you fellows may be familiar with. I don't know for sure but I thought I would mention it here. I normally hang out on the Buggy/engine performance threads and they didn't pick up on this one.

I took the engine out of a '73 rolled over Westy and put it in my Manx copy(sacrilege I know!) with all of the stock cooling system etc. So the alternator did not charge. Rechecked the wiring changes - seemed right. Ok, fine - bought a new alternator and regulator and put them in. While the Missus and I were fiddling with other details we accidently bumped the + battery wire over to touch the + battery post. No big deal right? That is where it belongs anyway.

Guess again! The smoke started to roll out from under the Buggy and I grabbed (ouch! hot!) the + battery cable and yanked it away from where it tried to weld itself to the post. Smoke everywhere, smoke coming out of the new alternator!

Oh crap!

Must be wired wrong!

Much head scratching and another new alternator and regulator later all is good including how I had it wired.

Here is what was wrong: When I took the shield/air director/you guys know what I mean. The tin piece that directs cooling air from the fan through the alteranator off, there was a few reminants of a weather strip between it and the alternator body. I cleaned the bits off and did not think about it again as a good seal there seemed a bit overkill for my purpose.

Well sir! Without that bit of weather strip the tin piece actually makes contact with the diode plate and grounds it out! Pretty close quarters back there!

You guys probably already know this but I thought I would mention it and save someone $270 to learn it the hard way like I did!

Merv
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issue Reply with quote

Yes it's a known issue. The stud on the new alternators is too long and must be shortened to avoid meltdown.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615013
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator issue Reply with quote

You need a small diameter washer on the D+ post as well.

Why Bosch will not at least put a warning label on the alternator is beyond me, hundred if not thousands of bus owners have had this problem and likely a bus or two has burn to the ground because of it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator issue Reply with quote

Yes it was actually the washer that has the arc mark on it!

By rights then I should get a refund on the new alternator.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issue Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Yes it was actually the washer that has the arc mark on it!

By rights then I should get a refund on the new alternator.

Yes. You should absolutely take that back to where you bought it and explain that the alternator, as they handed it to you, has a known flaw (although unknown to you at the time). They should give you a replacement that you can modify (fix) before you put it in (see that thread referenced above).

Maybe (?) if the remanufacturers keep getting these returned, they will finally figure out their problem. Meanwhile, we just have to live with it, and innocents like you get burned. Sometimes literally.

I have run into this problem at least 3 times, but now I have finally learned, and will always be cutting the stud, installing a smaller washer, and installing a home-made gasket.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issue Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

Yes. You should absolutely take that back to where you bought it and explain that the alternator, as they handed it to you, has a known flaw (although unknown to you at the time). They should give you a replacement that you can modify (fix) before you put it in (see that thread referenced above).

Maybe (?) if the remanufacturers keep getting these returned, they will finally [address] their problem.

^^ this ^^
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issue Reply with quote

Thanks all! Too bad there isn't a way to let the general public know about this.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator issue Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Thanks all! Too bad there isn't a way to let the general public know about this.

There is. It has only been mentioned here in this forum about 10,000 times in the last 15 years. Hang around here more often. Smile
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator issue Reply with quote

Well sir, I have been hanging around on the Samba now since November of 2016, a bit here as I do have a '69 Bus, on the buggy and engine thread and a few others and it did not come up even on a search.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: