Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NGK Fake Plugs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: NGK Fake Plugs Reply with quote

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/warning-bew...gust-2017/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: NGK Fake Plugs Reply with quote

almost looks like a fake add to sell the ngk plugs that the author has in stock. I dont use them any way....well....I do have a nice stash of the ngk 12 mm plugs...but havent used them.Ill use up my borsch &autolight&champions platinums first.....as of yet Ive never had to change one or had any issues with them. you just cant trust anybody these days,fake boobs fake plugs, fake people. choose wizely
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NGK Fake Plugs Reply with quote

I see nothing definitive in the picture in that link.....thats says they are not ab NGK product. They may simply be made in another plant with not as good of tooling or QC.

And its worth it to bear in mind......that NGK corportate headquarters is in Michigan. It produces spark plugs in Irvine California and Sissonvile West Virginia. It also pr9duces some in France and Germany.

Its just as easy that the supposedly fake product is made here in the US.

And.....lets count off the issues.....
1. The o-ring....sometimes powdered....sometimes not....so that is meaningless

2. The shiny-ness of plating.....means nothing. It could be anything from a new plating tank to a change in chemicals. It it were thin plating or a different plating material.....sure....I would be worried......but that item is inconclusive.

3. The quality of the stamping on the plugs......means nothing definitive . Those stamp dies wear out all the time and the stamping gets funky and they get replaced. I saw this post and went through a dozen 10 year old BP6ET just to check....and they have wide stamping variation.

4. The rough welds and jagged edges.....is the only semi-definitive point.....and it could simply be a poorly adjusted fusion welding machine and/or quality control screwing off.

And....NGK just opened a plant in India...and is finishing a sensor plant in Thailand.

Although its hard to find info......but with at least 18 mfg facilities around the world.....and NGK workimg hard to build plants IN THE LOCATION of large market shares.....that they MUST have at least one plant in China.

I agree its worth keeping an eye on.....but whtacha going to do if an actual counterfeit works just as well as the genuine article? Wink

Here is a link to an NGK bulletin about how to recognize fake spark plugs. Most of what they have to say.....is not what that other link says.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

I kind of agree with Mark. That other link looks more like a sales ploy to buy from them.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: