Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drivers side bondo, which should I do first?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Drivers side bondo, which should I do first? Reply with quote

Hi
Prepping to lift the body and replace the heater channels, and the areas down by the lower door hinges (both sides).
Surveying the rest of the vehicle to see what else needs done while its up in the air. found the car had been in an accident, drivers side forward of the pinch weld is bondo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't trust that much bondo, its already starting to crack up near the radio antenna hole. My question is, in what order do I approach all these repairs?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lift body, install door braces, then chop out the heater channels, chop out lower A pillars, and cut out that drivers side area, weld in new metal? Or replace one thing at a time so alignment doesn't get too far out of whack? The area down by the brake master cylinder is pretty bad so I was going to replace that as well.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side bondo, which should I do first? Reply with quote

I would bracing in before lifting body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side bondo, which should I do first? Reply with quote

id be inclined to get all the simular jobs done in that area at one time, cut, remove, replace, weld, then body finish work, then paint. Minimize time bare metal is exposed to elements which is important if working outside. Id probably do the channel install thru its welding, then move to body panel, replace it if that the plan, clean up the welds on both, prime, fill, seal, top paint.

If welding covered parts such that you can't paint them after welding, such as lap joints, use a zinc weld thru primer in that area. remove the weld thru primer after welding in areas that you will finish painting, as weld thru may not be the best thing under the top coat, but it sure is great in areas that are welded off from later painting. also can be used inside folded pinch seams. This goes a long way to preventing rust. High zinc content mimics galvanizing. A clean shinny metal surface is required prior to application.

So brace the vehicle, lift, cut out the bad channel, replace channel, then deal with the metal work on the panel, then finish grind both, prime both with a great two part automotive metal prep primer, filler as needed, sealer coat, then sand coat and or top coats.

Your method may vary, but that's how I think I would attack it.

Keep us posted on your progress. This stuff is interesting.

Best Luck, Bug On, With a Great Looking Solid Bug!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: