Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykidsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

This bug is going to be really nice when done!!!
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

mykidsbug wrote:
This bug is going to be really nice when done!!!

Thank you.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Upholstery. Been putting this off but it is time.

Visited WW last week to show them my rear seat base coconut pad. The dip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It apparently is not normal but common. Got a better one. Not what i want but no other option right now.

Did some spring repair. Used springs from an old bus seat i had that was busted. Worked. Not hard. Not and exact match but close enough. I have to replace four springs on my seat backs. all failed in torsion.

More seat work

Struggling with the seat back covers. The plastic strip will not go into the C channel. Looking for help.

Progress...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Also got a new heater cable. Strange though is that it is not bent. Once straight length. How the heck do you determine where to bend it? (I do not have the old one...)

The one I bought from them a while back was bent. I did a big garage clean up, sure aggravating the subscription gets randomly removed as could have gotten you this information shortly after posting, though if still have my old one will measure for you if still needed.

matthew henricks wrote:
Bit of an update on my door handles. I guess 64 had two styles. They switched sometime. I have early style. WW will exchange them.

That is all...

Ah, wondered why the cheap 1964 door handle I bought were not correct (just bought it to repair the original handle). Thanks for the heads up.

matthew henricks wrote:
Struggling with the seat back covers. The plastic strip will not go into the C channel. Looking for help.

Progress...

Interesting Wolfsburg West uses a plastic strip, Sewfine just folds the fabric over and assume just supposed to hang.

Is the plastic strip too think?

Have you called Wolfsburg West for help? They have helped me many times. Heck, would not surprise me if went in with the seat that they ended up at least explaining.

Wish you were closer, worse case get some chipboard and use my industrial sewing machine to replace the plastic.

matthew henricks wrote:
I ended up using thin closed cell packing foam glued to the hard board.

What do mean by thin, 1/8"? I am not finding this material in a small amount, though didn't look hard.

I can determine the line of the color change based on the center of the door latch and window winder, preferably in centimeters, can you please provide the width of the white center section?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
if still have my old one will measure for you if still needed.

I got that figured out. Thank you

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Interesting Wolfsburg West uses a plastic strip, Sewfine just folds the fabric over and assume just supposed to hang.

Figure this out as well. This link was the key.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=296774&start=0

Adriel Rowley wrote:
What do mean by thin, 1/8"? I am not finding this material in a small amount, though didn't look hard.

Probably 1/32" thick. Super thin. It gave enough body to the panel to hide the clips. Honestly i got lucky. It was part of a shipment at work from Asia. I may be able to get more if you need some.

Adriel Rowley wrote:
I can determine the line of the color change based on the center of the door latch and window winder, preferably in centimeters, can you please provide the width of the white center section?

Did not follow what info you were after. Happy to measure what you need but need more info.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Little work the last few days.

Visited WW Wednesday to talk about ill-fitting floor mats.

They took them back and issued me a credit. They do not think it is their mat and i do not think it is my pan so we agreed to act like it never happened. Completely civil and mature conversation. (Not being sarcastic there. It really was) I love that they stand behind their product and if you are not happy they try to make it right.

I am pleased but that leaves me without floor mats.

So... I am playing with Glycerin. My Original floor mats are not very nice al all. Rubber missing around the shifter and they are hard as rocks. We will see if they soften up any. Not holding my breath. I am running coco mats so most of them is hidden.

If any black NOS ones are out there i am interested.
Any good used ones in So. Cal out there i am looking.

Seats are done. Finished the rear seat today. Took me forever to replace the nylon pull cord with the proper metal wire but finally got it. Pleased.

The hope for the weekend is to get door panels installed, seats installed and brake lights on. Then i have electrical gremlins to chase down and a rear bumper that does not clear the decklid.

Funny the things you find on the side of the road. found this on the freeway on-ramp. 2 hours and zero dollars later i have a super sharp, fully functional industrial meat slicers. Anyone want to trade for something VW vintage and interesting? Smile

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
if still have my old one will measure for you if still needed.

I got that figured out. Thank you

No problem, glad to help and glad you got it figured out. Very Happy

matthew henricks wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Figure this out as well. This link was the key.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=296774&start=0

Ah yes, that was my other guess.

By the way, when make it over to Ruby, will now bring the passenger seat home so can determine if the shop Dad chose used the plastic strips and if not, the width needed, now seeing yet another example of how Sewfine cut corners, I am going to do it differently.

matthew henricks wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Probably 1/32" thick. Super thin. It gave enough body to the panel to hide the clips. Honestly i got lucky. It was part of a shipment at work from Asia. I may be able to get more if you need some.

That be appreciated and fantastic. Very Happy The ones I have the shop used upholstery foam and don't really care for how squishy it is.

matthew henricks wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Did not follow what info you were after. Happy to measure what you need but need more info.

See where the red goes to white and then white to red? Dad went with a custom interior, so have no originals to copy. I am planning on doing my own panels, front and back, so the seats vinyl matches the doors (I am picky, probably no one would notice). I am assuming the pocket was placed in the same location, maybe I shouldn't...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

The rear seat looks great. Place it out in the sun tomorrow and let the heat relax the vinyl. That should help smooth out the wrinkles.

Didja find the hidden sharpening stones in the meat slicer?
They are usually in a small compartment at the top of the slicing arm. That's where I found um, in the families slicer.
Still haven't figured out how they work. Embarassed

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Little work the last few days.

Visited WW Wednesday to talk about ill-fitting floor mats.

They took them back and issued me a credit. They do not think it is their mat and i do not think it is my pan so we agreed to act like it never happened. Completely civil and mature conversation. (Not being sarcastic there. It really was) I love that they stand behind their product and if you are not happy they try to make it right.

I am pleased but that leaves me without floor mats.

So... I am playing with Glycerin. My Original floor mats are not very nice al all. Rubber missing around the shifter and they are hard as rocks. We will see if they soften up any. Not holding my breath. I am running coco mats so most of them is hidden.

If any black NOS ones are out there i am interested.
Any good used ones in So. Cal out there i am looking.

I decided to solve my lack of floor mats (as saw how they fit thanks to you) in the future (money needs to go to other parts first) with running just the center rubber cover and sisal mats, however, I am not going an amazingly accurate 1964 restoration.

matthew henricks wrote:
Seats are done. Finished the rear seat today. Took me forever to replace the nylon pull cord with the proper metal wire but finally got it. Pleased.

matthew henricks wrote:
The hope for the weekend is to get door panels installed, seats installed and brake lights on. Then i have electrical gremlins to chase down and a rear bumper that does not clear the decklid.

Wire, huh? Well, there is another thing to add to the changes made to the seat covers. What size wire did you use?

matthew henricks wrote:
Funny the things you find on the side of the road. found this on the freeway on-ramp. 2 hours and zero dollars later i have a super sharp, fully functional industrial meat slicers. Anyone want to trade for something VW vintage and interesting? Smile

Nice! Laughing

You reminded me of a memory of Oma. For over 20 years, she kept a list of things reported on the radio that were on the freeway. She had of course had a plethora of mattresses. After about 15 years, she told me of what she was doing, and became a fun thing for us to do, sometimes I hear one she missed and she add to the list. One day said now all she was missing to outfit a 2 bedroom house was a kitchen sink. I was listening next evening's traffic report and it included a kitchen sink! Laughing Just took 20 years. Laughing

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
however, I am not going an amazingly accurate 1964 restoration.

Thank you for the kind comment.

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Wire, huh? Well, there is another thing to add to the changes made to the seat covers. What size wire did you use?

Standard 1/16" bailing wire. Bend the end over and crimp it. Then pull/push around the cover in the sewn over hem. (Or sew it in place but that has risk). The wire goes over the metal spikes and gives the covers something to pull against. The nylon does not give the same resistance. Put the cover and wire over the spikes, Pull the wire tight, twist the end together and away you go.

Adriel Rowley wrote:
See where the red goes to white and then white to red

Here you go.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Am i too picky or am i the first person question quality?

Frustrating day with tail lights. what should have been a 30 min job never got done. Paid extra for the German, Hella European tail light lenses. I expect the to look good and fit. They don't.

Part number 111945241KGR
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111945241KGR

Using OG tail housings, OG reflectors and OG chrome rings.

My firsts clue was the lousy fit of the OG chrome ring to the lens. Super loose around the lens like it was almost so small it would not hold the ring. Weird but OK... Then for the life of me i could not screw the lens on. It would not go.

Took a step back after struggling for a while. I pulled out my old one lenses. VW/Audi brand from around 1989. Probably from West Coast Metric. Check the fit. They fit fine. Get out the calipers to measure and compare and oh man... These are bad.

Screw hole center line should be 66.7mm. Hella units are 63.7mm.
Overall witch should be 87.3mm. These are 83.4mm
Overall height was close. With-in .5mm of each other.

These are not even close. 3mm off. I finally got them to "mount" but the lens is going to crack.

These will be going back and i will clean up my 1989 set. Very disappointing.

Guess i have to go back to WW. (The front turn signals were not much better BTW.)

New Hella on top. cleaned up circa 1989 VW/Audi bottom.

Different widths.

Molded hole stud offset. (Other holes are aligned)

Over half a hole diameter off.

On a good note i finished the passenger door. Door panel was a pain to get on but it is on.

Pro tips.
- Put the clips all the way out in the circle. It is easier to push then in then pull then out.
- Spray a little silicone into the rubber seal cups. Helps the clips snap in.
- Test fit the door handles and window handle ahead of time.

Drivers side door is ready to go on but i am missing a handle spring.

Rear seat mounted. Pleased.

Tomorrow i will look at the electrical gremlins and rear bumper/decklid fitment.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Seats are looking great Matthew. I was hoping you'd have a different response from WW on the mats...as you may recall, I too have their crappy oversized mats, and they are most assuredly theirs, I drove down and bought them in-person a few years back, summer before the pandemic. I consider them a loss at this point, and plan to get those "other" more expensive coco mats that cover everything. Or else some non-stock carpet that covers everything.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I was hoping you'd have a different response from WW on the mats...

Thank you for the kind words and sympathy.

I am sure sometimes i come across harsh. Hence my question "am i being too picky"

It is disappointing but i do remind myself that if they were not around it would be alot worse. Not like you can easily get NOS any more. I am thankful they take some back or exchange with little fuss but sometimes i wish there was better quality.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matt-
I don't think you're being too picky, especially with parts that don't fit and can't be made to fit. I've run into some issues with parts being advertised as being for a 40hp motor that just aren't and bullet turn signal housings that are supposed to be mirror images side to side but are shaped identically and therefore don't fit one side. I'm the type who would rather try to make something work but in these cases it's either the vendor not doing due diligence or the manufacturer not bothering to invest the time or money to make sure something properly fits what it's supposed to fit. I guess maybe we're just not a large or vociferous enough community to answer to in terms of quality and commitment- and maybe it will only degrade further as time goes on.
I know, I know- cry me a river. Boo hoo! I have to go file piston rings to the proper gap now. Wink
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
It is disappointing but i do remind myself that if they were not around it would be alot worse. Not like you can easily get NOS any more. I am thankful they take some back or exchange with little fuss but sometimes i wish there was better quality.

Agreed! Been saying this same thing since the early 90s! Wish one of the companies cared enough to get stuff RIGHT! Just 1!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Spent more time today with my youngest on the roof installing our rooftop raindeer display than working on VW's. Time well spent.

I could easily drive the bug now since we have a full set of seats installed.

Milestone day to sit behind the wheel again. Alas i did not go for a drive and soo many details still to do.

I ended up cleaning my old floor mats the best i could and re-installing them. They are REALLY bad. Glycerin soak for four days did not really do anything. Front is still one piece but barely. Rear is almost three pieces now. Soo Brittle. The cocomats cover most of it for now. That allowed me to finish the seats.

Mounted the rear brake light housings. I soldered to the rear of the housing a ground wire. Any input on where to run the wire to?

- Thought about the fender bolts. Easy but cheesy.
- Thought about going into the engine compartment
- There are no easy bolts nearby
- I have to take out my engine tar board again.

Thoughts?

Pulled out the tool wrap. It is in bad shape.

Anyone recognize this material?

Looks like bay window stuff to me. I cannot say for sure this is the original wrap for the bug. I may have to go down another rabbit hole. Maybe using my old OG stripped seat cover material to make a new one is a good idea???

My tools. Pretty sure the ones on right are Original and the two on the left added.

Bad news on the decklid. I stripped a thread and have another going soft. Was trying to get the decklid to clear the rear bumper.

How hard is it to drive out the pivot pin? Thinking about welding the holes up & re-tapping them. Then install them again without re-painting the whole decklid.

thoughts?

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Ground wire attachment point on newer model Bugs is at the engine shelf wall. They screw them straight into the sheet metal. If it worked then, it works now!

Material was typically scrapes from the interior left overs. Remember “Economy” car! VW wasted very little!

You can drive the pin out. Not too hard. Seen some guys replacing with a D-ring with a sprung retainer, so that the decklid can be easily removed and installed.

And you even had time for the lights! Dude! Making us all look bad. I just told the wife, next weekend. Good on you! Have a great weekend!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Dude! Making us all look bad.

Thanks. Not my intent.

Today not alot of time. I grounded my tail lights. I probably did a bad, bad things though. I drilled holes... (And i did not get a pictures so at least no evidence...)

Looked around the gallery for how later bugs were grounded. (Thanks Jim)

Only images i found showed a spade connector in the engine compartment. That was not in the cards so i drilled. I ran a green ground wire through the rear light harness tubing and terminated things. Clean, hidden and i am pleased.

Spade type connections.

My solution.

Playing around with the decklid again. No clear solution. Not sure how to drive out the pin without damaging the paint. From the outside to the inside there is no room to work and swing a hammer and the other way i think the pin will hit the decklid before it clears. Hmm...

I did put the hitch bar in as i plan to pull the hitch up a little which will also pull the bumper down. Win-Win but...

the holes are way off front/back. Will have to dream up a clean solution.

I can see a light. The tunnel is not so dark. Lets hope that its not a freight train heading my way.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Re the pin.

Air hammer with extended chisel may fit. You can protect the paint with rags tied around the chisel and the air hammer.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

You could weld and re-tap but I'd really be thinking about a helicoil or timesert with as far along as your project is.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 29

Jump to: