Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

The details will be filled in as we go but over the weekend we dug out of storage my grandfathers 1964 sunroof beetle. Grandpa bought it new, my dad held on to it. I cut my teeth on it and now I am starting down the path to getting it running with my son. I hope this ride is a fun one.

2004. Me and my son in the Bug.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2018. Same kid this past weekend.

Lets hope i can find all those non-digital pictures to make the back story interesting...

Last edited by matthew henricks on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:01 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Out of curiosity what color is that? Looks too dark for Sea Blue.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Sea Blue. L360 i think.

Interior is all original including paint, carpet, door panels and seat covers. Even the original shredded 64 only seat material is still there. Just the headliner and seat covers were added when i re-painted it 30 years ago. (Had multiple Earl Sheib jobs before that) Smile

It is VERY dirty right now and once washed will post better pictures. That is literally right out of a 10 year hibernation. More on that later too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

That is a very cool looking bug. It looks like it's future is going to be in good hands. Teach him well.

And don't paint it (again) Laughing !
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
That is a very cool looking bug. It looks like it's future is going to be in good hands. Teach him well.

Why not? He already said it’s not the original paint.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
jwp67 wrote:

Because I think it looks good like that. I'm sorry, next time I'll pm you before I comment to get your approval. Heaven forbid I have an opinion of my own in the internet age. Laughing
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
jwp67 wrote:

Because I think it looks good like that. I'm sorry, next time I'll pm you before I comment to get your approval. Heaven forbid I have an opinion of my own in the internet age. Laughing

Maybe let the OP decide then? Guesse he should check with you before making any improvements?
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
jwp67 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
jwp67 wrote:

Maybe let the OP decide then? Guesse he should check with you before making any improvements?

And I'm sorry, you never gave your opinion on anything here. Look in the mirror.
Just wow dude.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Ha!. Opinions are welcomed gentlemen. I have thick skin.

When i was 16 i literally removed at least four blue paint jobs leading up to the current PPG Acrylic Enamel L360 paint job. Paint & Body was self taught trial & error style. Color sanded and all. It was a good launching board for the work i did on buses later which got me into a few books and magazines. Glory days...

What we do now really depend on how far my son wants to take it. The rules i have laid down are that he can do nothing i cannot undo and he cannot paint or alter the interior. He will get very strong guidance towards stock.

From my perspective since i know the car and know what I did to it she really needs a new front clip (accident), new hood (same accident) & a new rear decklid. (rust) I already have the clip and hood. The decklid is one year only and usually priced too high so never got that part.

My son is not me so i will see how far he wants to go. The car ran when parked and the engine has ~5000 miles on it. (40HP) Tranny ~30K. Nothing major there but we will likely find a scrap engine and re-build it for the lesson.

The must do list is brakes, oil, ignition, gas, tires and battery. From there it should be a runner.

The "if dad had his way" list is front clip, re-set the saggy suspension, running boards, fenders and paint job. But like i said, not my project. I am the mentor and guide on this one and i hope he catches "the bug".

It will probably be slow so i will fill in the back story as we go.

Hibernation 10+ years ago.

Eventually burred behind all that stuff.

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
jwp67 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
jwp67 wrote:

And I'm sorry, you never gave your opinion on anything here. Look in the mirror.
Just wow dude.

Not sure why you’re getting your panties in a bunch. I simply asked why you were telling the OP not to repaint a car with admitted cheap resprays? I thought we were allowed to ask questions and discuss things? Seems pretty one sided.

To the OP, it would be interesting to see exactly if that’s the original color. Either way it’s a nice color, was just curious if it was actually the original one? I have a 64 as well that had the OG material under cheap black seat covers. Always cool to find that, it too bad I’ve yet to really see one that was useable.

Would be nice to see more pictures when you have them. Good luck in your rehab. What are the plans for it?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Skip the paint. Just rubbing compound and wax it will look great.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Doesn’t it seem a little odd for you guys to get all bogged down on someone else’s car that has already had multiple cheap re sprays and needs further body work with panel replacements. Maybe dad and son are leaning towards making the car straight with a proper paint job to mimic a factory look. Provenance is what makes this car special. I’m glad to hear it’s leaning towards all stock 😀
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Doesn’t it seem a little odd for you guys to get all bogged down on someone else’s car that has already had multiple cheap re sprays and needs further body work with panel replacements. Maybe dad and son are leaning towards making the car straight with a proper paint job to mimic a factory look. Provenance is what makes this car special. I’m glad to hear it’s leaning towards all stock 😀

And the thread was barely an hour old before the jabs started flying! #Bad Talk

Can't wait to hear more of the back story on this one!
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Great story. Hope you dig up some more pics. Enjoy this project with your son!
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

I love these multi-generational stories.

Keep it coming!

Max
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

There`s nothing wrong with nice, shiny new paint.

pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Great thread! I look forward to hearing about its history and seeing it come back to life.

I'm in the midst of a 64 bug restoration. I wish I was doing it as a teenager with dad. Instead I am texting pictures and videos to him weekly. Lots of the skills learned from him on other car projects in high school. Your boy will remember this the remainder of his life for sure.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

Nice picture there Bryan67. Yours??? Very inspiring and a memory flash back like 30 years ago.

The hard part about the back story is finding pictures. I know i have pictures from 1964 when G-pa bought the bug new but then we have to jump forward to when i was 15. Back then in the non-digital world pictures were far and few between but we will see what we can find.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

COngrats on the project,Matt, and a four generation story beats any trailer queen at any show.

Have fun with your young man and try to sneak in the stories about the earlier generations when you can.

It doesn't matter what paint you put on it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandfathers 1964 Bug. A four generation story. Reply with quote

I love '64 sunroof beetles- especially in Sea Blue. Great continuance to the car's story and look forward to more installments.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: