Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Big day today. Picked up my Pan from the Powder Coat shop. Primo Powder Coating in Huntington Beach. Super nice!

A bit bummed that they blasted a few more holes in the pan. We had pre-blasted the area and welded up the holes but... I wil have to find a creative way to fill them in. Spend the day tapping holes and blowing out dust. I will be laying down peal & stick roofing material to replace the original tar boards and installing all the minor chassis parts soon. Assembly. Yes...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulled my Generator apart. Full rebuild. New adventure for me. Waiting for new bearings but in the meantime i attacked the windings and cleaned things up. Removed the Flat head screws by indicating center with my mill and drilling them out.

Anyone in the USA have the right Flat Head screws for these? I know they are available in Germany but they do not ship to the USA. N 010 999 1. M10 x 1.5 x 13mm Slotted Flat Head screw. Need two.

Removed the old paper insulation from the windings, unsoldered the ring terminals and re-wired them with modern Capton tape.

Re-cut the commutator and then cleaned out the grooves between each. Came out nice. Inspected under a microscope to make sure they were clean,

Zinc plated the housing and the regulator cap. These came out better than i expected.

Looked over my regulator and will have to clean some contacts. Not sure how to do this yet.

Waiting for Corn Head Grease to finish my steering box.

Trying to decide if i need dielectric grease on my solenoid contact plate before i button it up.

Up next is the 28 PICT1 Carb, Pierberg Fuel Pump and ZV/JU4r3 Dizzy.

Carbs and i do not get along so this should be fun. It probably needs butterfly bushings so we will see how that goes. Also both the carb and fuel pump brass gas hose nipples pulled out of their housing so have to learn how to fix them.

Marching along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Never mind ‘marching along’, more like teaching me loads!
Im into my 4th decade in ‘playing’ with VW’s and in that time I’ve never taken these electrical parts apart, so thanks for sharing. I hate electrickery, dark art to me Laughing
Plus the way those casings have come out have made my want to explore zinc plating, so thanks again.
Keep up the top work, really enjoying reading your posts.

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Jays58s. Thank you for following along.

Quote:
One question, why a 155 tire?

I had 165's on the bug and they rubbed up front. I have read alot ff thread stating that the 155 is closer to stock than 165 but also that the difference is small. I know for sure i am not going to run Bias Ply.

Will look into the material. Did the red cord material hold up?

Engine is still underdebate.

offtherailz1. Thank you. I can go a bit overboard. Most of the time it works out but sometimes it does not. Carbs are my black magic...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Jays58s. Thank you for following along.

Quote:
One question, why a 155 tire?

I had 165's on the bug and they rubbed up front. I have read alot ff thread stating that the 155 is closer to stock than 165 but also that the difference is small. I know for sure i am not going to run Bias Ply.

Will look into the material. Did the red cord material hold up?

Engine is still underdebate.

offtherailz1. Thank you. I can go a bit overboard. Most of the time it works out but sometimes it does not. Carbs are my black magic...

A 165/15 rubbed on a stock height car? I’ve never heard of that problem before. Could the slight front end damage have to do with that? Since you’re fixing that, that problem will probably go away. I’d look at 165’s again if you plan on using and driving the car a lot. The original 5.60-15 bias ply is 25.79” tall, a 155-15 is 25.10” tall, and a 165-15 is 25.43” tall. So even the 165’s still fall short of the original tire height.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Located some M10 x 1.5 x 13mm Flat Head slotted screws today. These are used on the Bosch Generator and Starter.

Harper's Moto Guzzi in Missouri. Nice guy. Look him up.

http://www.harpermoto.com/screw-10700224.html

Not cheap but the only other option i found was from VW in Germany and they do not ship to the USA.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

These might even work. Not sure about the Guzzi countersink angle or head diameter, but a bag of 10 can be had here for $6.29, then cut down to length.

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/flat-head-screws/s...ad-screws/
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you Busstom. I will take a look. Far Cheaper.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

No problem! McMaster is often my first stop when I'm looking for hardware, especially in bulk, like the M6 and M8 stuff that's all over these cars.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Pan is set up for some assembly work in the back yard. Just the small stuff but first parts installed.

Upon closer inspection i have 6 pin holes in the pan from blasting. I did not do a good enough job apparently. Bummer but OK. I think i will switch gears and undercoat the chassis then to seal things up. It originally had undercoat anyways.

All Carb parts bead blasted, cleaned and zinc plated. (Lost two screws somewhere.)

All fuel pump parts bead blasted, cleaned and zinc plated. (Lost one screw somewhere.(

Here are a few questions for the day.

1. Did VW have different Engine compartment tar boards? Mine had a dimple patter. I see the 23 mile 64 has flat and Chris over at Classic VW Bug is making a waffle pattern. Any thoughts? (WW sells the smooth stuff)

2. Any good threads out there for cleaning regulator points?

3. Any good options for Pan Tar board material? What was on the tunnel? Mine had a dimple/diamond pattern.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Fuel Pump assembled.

Windshield wiper assembly completed.

Cleaned my points on the voltage regulator with some find sand paper and sprayed Deoxit on the contacts. Wrapped it up too.

Took apart my Distributor. ZV/JU4R3. Have not started to clean anything yet. Still doing my research.

Still kicking around tar board ideas. For the engine i have the flat WW stuff. Wondering about making a die to imprint the original dimples. Maybe using acorn nuts, some heat and pressure.

For the Pan not so sure. Looking at aluminum backed roofing material or other options like Dynamat adding the pattern is not going to be easy. I see Chris Valone has some floor boards in the same hatch pattern but the tunnel area so far nothing seems a good fit. What do other do?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

We have color. Sea Blue being applied to parts. Front hood and rear deck lid are done. Rear Fenders were shot today and fronts on Monday. Super excited to see blue paint.

Did some creative zinc plating for the Vacuum advance. By carefully leveling the part in the bath and filling just to the level of the bottom i was able to keep the solution out of the baffle. For the other side i super glued heat shrink tubing and silicon plugs over the nipple to seal it. worked great

Posted a separate thread for this next one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Anyone have a source for the 64/65 Triangle sunroof finger guard? Not the later "figure eight" one. 117877433A That or how do you restore one of these? I am going to try peroxide and UV sunlight and see what happens.

For my Generator i am still waiting for the right screws.
For my carburetor i am still waiting for some guts. Debating on replacing the jets.
For my Distributor i am waiting for nothing really but free time.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Very clever use of the zinc plating bath on the vac canister and great results. I’ve never done zinc plating but I have been looking at kits lately, all inspired by your great work and results, superb.
The colour looks great, I bet it felt very rewarding laying some colour down? Are you spraying yourself?

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks offtherailz1. It has been fun and frustrating doing the zinc. No need to buy a kit. All the parts needed are easy to get. The Power-Supply IMO is the most important part You really want to be able to vary the current.

I am NOT squirting the paint. I have done that enough and have far too many distractions. This time i am paying for the Paint & body and doing the rest myself.

Parts i am looking for:
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

For some reason after the update many of my subscriptions were terminated.

Glad to and enjoy the progress, looking great.

Regarding the sunroof plastic, it is UV that caused the discoloring, so seems using UV is counterintuitive?

I have seen the VSM folks achieve amazing results with hair peroxide, haven't tried it myself.

What about 3D printing?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Working on sunroof parts. Most of my plastic is trash. I did located a set of plastic cable guides but the crank and finger guards need to be restored. Fortunately all my metal parts are fine. Anyone have a spare crank handle spring? Mine is broken.

UV curing results so far are promising. After two the finger guard is almost back to original color. You can see that by comparing it to the handle bezzle below where the center is still original color

Rims came out OK. In retrospect i regret the powder coating and should have just painted them. The consistency/roughness of the rims in some places is poor and the powder coat material pooled in the paint color separation groove making it hard to tape off to paint the Blue White. (L289)

Super happy with the Blue White. Very subtle. One can of K2 spray paint was enough to do the 5 rims. Nothing the spare though. In the end they are rims though and are fine.

Now if i can find some tires. I am dead set on 155R15 black wall. Black wall because that is what the car came with originally. 155R15 because after reading and watching more comparison data than i think i should have i think that is the closer match when the tire is under load. I may be wrong but what i do know is the 165R15 for my bug rubbed at full turn on the pan and my pan has never been damaged. So now just waiting for them to be in stock at Coker. Firestone 560 155R15 tires. (56047)

Worked on the door locks. Tumbled them clean and a light bead blast.

I again launched my search for some original cord material. Grey cord is original for my car. I located some NOS blue cord. It would go just fine in my car. Kicking it around. Would look soo much better than the 63 grey i had decided on a few months back. Thoughts? First is the cord i located. Second is the grey cord my car had originally.

All my hardware is at the plate shop being zinc plated. Once they get back then i can really start with some assembly.

Anyone know what theory VW used as far as when bolts where painted vs. plated?

Parts i am looking for:
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I see you have some new pan pics queued up for posting. I'm anxious to see your front brake line brackets (the upright ones welded to the front of the pan) after everything is assembled with the correct parts. I notice an inordinate number of cars with brackets bent over at a 15-20 degree angle to compensate for too-short of flexible brake lines. It's an awful look.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Sunroof Crank back to original color. Not perfect but also not the color i thought it would be. Not totally pleased with the base and i am in need of a spring so i think i will be buying another used one to work with. anyone know if the later style handle has the same spring?

3D printed a new bezzle. Turned out great. Would need to be painted. May or may not go this route.

Started working on the Brake Lines. Not hard to do. The lines from WW are black and not metal color. Not sure if i will worry about that...

Received the Noico under coating. Will not be using it. It is Aluminum backed that is painted black. I will use 3M 8840 instead.

Anyone know what color the sunroof rails are supposed to be? I am of the opinion that they are the same color as the plastic and figured that to be Silver Beige. Below is Silver Beige painted rail with WW repro plastic and OG plastic from the bottom so not too faded. All are different. WW told me theirs was "off white". The crank handle and finger guards are grey-ish. Hmmm.

Did the last of the major sand blasting today. Epoxy painted the parts. Gas Tank bottom, Front beam and rear brake drums. (One of my drums is not correct...) I also did my muffler using high temp paint.

Last update is the front fenders are painted.

Parts i am looking for:
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

You are doing great work. You have however, at least shortened the life of, if not ruined your vacuum canister if you soaked it in anything. Those early diaphragms were made of a speaker cone, like paper that doesn't like fuel or any other kind of liquid in contact with them. Usually a bit of buffing is enough to renew the exterior appearance of the canister.

The cap clips are a devil to reinstall on these early aluminum bodied distributors. Later on Bosch added more metal to the clip bosses. You appear clever enough to overcome this issue but others may not be quite so patient. In the future I'd leave the clips in place.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew, looking good, including considering the minute details.

What is the concern with the interior sunroof colors?

I know a late model, was all original and all the colors were the same, inside and out. Maybe of some help? There has to be an original example somewhere out there.

Which drum is incorrect and why?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I see you have some new pan pics queued up for posting...

Thank you. Posted one picture today. I will be mindful of the brackets. Trying to get suspension parts painted this weekend to assembly more of the pan. Also re-setting on the tar board so a few more weeks before more progress there.

tasb wrote:
You are doing great work... .

Thank you. Agree trashing the vacuum advance was a risk i was taking. I was super careful and no liquid got inside. The clips i also agree are a pain. They fell off probably 20 years ago though. I will try and figure out how to attach them again.

Parts i am looking for:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 29

Jump to: