Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Your son looks real excited.

Nice job on the chassis .
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Ha! He spends hours on that. Helps his vestibular input. Best yard feature i ever bought.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

How many pieces of the 3m stuff did you end up using and where all did you put it ? It doesn’t look think enough for sound dampening or is it ? Also , where did you get it ? . Thanks
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I used 4 sheets for the tunnel. It really should be double thickness though so 8 sheets are needed to replicate original.

For the floor pans it should be the factory tar boards which are no longer made. Many put this Stuff on there too which would take another 8 sheets for one layer.

I am working on a tar board solution. I also undercoated the chassis to add more. When I get my final solution I share it.

I got my material from eBay. Box of 10 sheets.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I got the body back from the paint shop this weekend. Super happy with the job. Very clean and straight. Really glad we took it down to bare metal. Satisfied with the front end repair. Not perfect but really nice. You can tell it has been tapped but no way can you tell how bad it was.

Body is now tucked away in a garage to cure for a month. We still have to paint the doors and misc parts. They should be done in a few weeks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Moved the chassis out to where i can work on it and actually install the big parts like the trans and front beam. The clock is now ticking on chassis work. Need to get moving.

My main sticking point is the engine. What to do with it. I do not want a leaker. I think the oil on it is mainly from case pressure mist as i do not recall it leaking alot but... (The degree pulley is there because i was cheap back in the day. Stock 40HP...) Trying to convince myself to run it as is.

Spend some time installing the rear torsion arms. What a pain. Will have to touch up some paint. Using the same torsion rods but new bushings. The arms want to flair out since the trans is not installed. The do not stay on the ledge. Will tie the inward for now till the trans is in. Also when setting both the right angle i found the spring rates are not the same so i suspect i will have to re-do them once i get weight back on the car.

Installed the peddle cluster but had to take it back out. Where does that darn brake peddle spring rest? Not the half that wraps around the peddle but the other side? To the pan? To the front cluster bolt? Where???

Put on the second layer of 3M insulation to bring the thickness up to close to factory. Very happy and the second layer went WAY faster than the first.

Put my turn switch together as well as my steering lock assy.

Have my brake fluid and window wiper water reservoirs in Peroxide to restore them right now. (You can see the line where it has cleaned up a little)

Learned alot about OG 6V horns. Got both of the ones i have working again.

Running out of small assemblies to work on. Will tackle the radio soon. Below is a sneak peek at the steering wheel.

Parts i am looking for:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

The body looks great!
On the engine. Unless is beyond the factory wear point. You can re-seal it. Oil cooler seals, forward main seal, if your feeling adventurous. Loosen the heads and replace the push rod tube seals.

This is a good indication that the forward main seal is compromised.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Yeah, that looks like a leaker. The problem with those mild leaks that seem innocuous is, over time, with all of the intense, turbulent airflow in and around the rear end of a VW (especially at speed), that oil tends to aerosolize into an almost vapor-like form, and then lands everywhere nearby, which will eventually coat the surfaces of your new body/paint underneath.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I will pull the flywheel and check the rear main seal. I know if i open it up then i have to tell myself it is at least $500 as would at that point have it balanced.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Not alot of work this week.

Applied the second layer of sound deadening to the chassis. This brings the 3M material up to 4-6mm thick similar to the factory stuff. Second layer was WAY easier.

Did not grab an image yet but the chassis now has the following installed: Front beam, Peddle cluster, Clutch cable, accelerator cable, E-brake cables and shifter rod. Trans cradle & spring plates too.

This weekend i hope to get the front spindles and steering installed.

This may have been a huge mistake but i took apart my Sapphire 1. I know the caps need to be replaced and it has alot of oxidation. I may end up doing more harm than good but that has not stopped me yet.

Anyone have a source for:
- IEI 6244-2 or similar dual cap. 50uf/500uf @ 3V
- Bendix 1220353-31 or similar dual cap. 500uf/500uf @ 8V

I pulled off the face plate and using some toothpaste cleaned it up eliminating most of the scratches.

On the bodywork front i dropped off my front doors and sunroof panel to be painted next. Had to drill out one hole on the door so first it will be welded and re-tapped.

Parts i am currently looking for at a reasonable price.
- Sunroof headliner panel
- Rear drum oil slinger
- mid 60's 6V Bosch short coil
- Radio Capacitors
- Bosch 6V generator outer pulley half.
- Super clean rear ash tray
- Super clean wolfsburg crest horn button
- Bilstein jack for parts. (Need the C clip at the base plate)
- Used sunroof handle to harvest a spring
- Clean OG front windshield.
- Generator spring screw.

Information i am currently seeking
- Original color of metal sunroof plastic & slider parts.
- Information on blue vs. black ignition coils.
- Ideas to re-enforce OG cord seat material so it does not split over time.

Enough for today.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Front doors were stripped this weekend. Unfortunately we found rust so it looks like the bottom will get cut out and repaired.

Installed the rest of the front beam. Not everything is torqued yet but things are going together. (Like the steering box angle) The only update i am doing to this car is front disc brakes. I covered that more at the beginning of this whole thread.

A few things i am not sure about.

Shocks. I do not recall a spacer between the shock tower and the shock but my shock seems WAY too close. Bentley Manual was not clear so i have some learning to do. I am also not clear if lock washers are used. Seems like there should be. Obviously when i took it apart it was not correct.

Soft Brake lines for Disc brakes. Anyone else find that the soft lines rub on the drag links. This does not seem healthy long term. Thinking about finding a 45 degree fitting for the caliper.

These are brakes from So Cal Imports which BTW i think is an outstanding company. My kit had shipping problems and they took care of it right away and i got a 10 cent tour. (I am NOT affiliated with them)

Alignment. If i did not take off my torsion arms, did not take the beam apart and did not break loose my drag link ball ends should the steering align when i put it all back together? For some reason mine looks off.

That all for this weekend.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Just a few images.

Chassis progress

Reproducing factory tar boards.

Radio.

Parts i am looking for:
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Can you share what you did on the steering wheel?
Mine needs to be done, and It seems like a good “next” project.
Great thread to read! Stellar work!

My 64...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Man, that’s looking clean! I mean, it looks like you could eat off of that chassis!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you share what you did on the steering wheel?

In a nutshell.
1. Evaluate your issues. Take patterns where you need to for future reference. Decide if the damage areas can be repaired because some simply are not worth it and a new wheel should be found. For my wheel i probably should have found a new one. My hub was WAY gone but i like a challenge and did not want to spend $100.

2. With a Dremil grind out all the bad areas down to the wheel frame. You have to get everything out. If material is separated from the steel fame it has to be removed. Again when done evaluate if it is worth it. This is when i really should have bought a new one.

3. Rough up the frame so material sticks to it. (Ding it up) Make sure the transitions surfaces to the old wheel material are also rough. The more the new epoxy has to grab onto the better. At the top surface though make a blend out zone so you do not have sharp edges. That is where it will crack again.

4. If you have structure to rebuild do it now. For me i JB welded in an aluminum ridge to support the epoxy where the horn button goes.

4. Choose your epoxy. PC7 is popular but i used JB putty this time. Bondo is NOT a good idea. You want something tougher. PC7 sanding is more difficult. I have used them all. If you research this you will find many ideas. You will find every opinion out there but very few who say it cracked or failed in the end. Remember that no matter what you do this is a repair. If you in frustration push hard on your wheel when done it will crack again.

5. Fill in the epoxy where ever needed. Let it cure. Fully cure.

6. With a wood rasp or rough sand paper start rough shaping. This is where your patterns are key. Otherwise you will end up with a wonky wheel.

7. Evaluate and re-fill in any low areas. Rough up and clean before applying.

8. Shoot with primer and start sanding. I like to use two colors of primer or a mist coat of flat black as i go. This helps you see the low spots. This probably is repeated more times than you want to but...

9. Only at the end will i use spot filler putty and only for small imperfection that are NOT on a edges.

10. Paint it. I used Single stage Acrylic Enamel.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
you could eat off of that chassis

Thank you.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Probably a dumb update but after four months, four canceled ordered and way too many phone calls i finally have tires on the way.

Guess that means i need to get busy and finish the chassis.

(Not my image below but Firestone F560's from the gallery)

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Chipping away at it.

Front doors are almost done. Insides was painted Friday. Outside will be done later this week. One of my more concerning aspects of this project is installing the doors without chipping paint.

Put the radio back together. Looks nice. Need to dig out my speaker to test it still. Light came on.

I replaced both dual capacitors. (Tall round black at the bottom and large tall round silver at top) They die or get very bad after 60 years. Modern caps are alot smaller so i got the bright idea of hollowing out the old ones and placing the new ones inside. Worked out great. You can just see there under the cap housing.

Been working on the radio buttons. At first i was digging out and replacing the material with filler on the originals. It was working but the shapes are wonky. I decided to 3D print instead. Left to right. Original repaired, Original, 3D printed raw & 3D printed in primer.

Located a sunroof headliner panel in AZ. It is from a 65 so it has the newer plastic guides that keep the headliner from getting dirty. (Rubbing on the metal) I also found some NOS plastic guides in Greece.

Big news is i have ordered Grey Cord material. Exact match. I want to do this right and since no-one has this i found someone to make it for me. Now i am looking for the right vinyl beading.

Picked up one of the "optional" parts i wanted for the bug. A Factory shift lock with ignition. Very happy with it. Took it apart and started cleaning it up. It has a few areas of damage. Nothing bad. Ignition module needs some work. Anyone ever take one apart? This fell apart. Also the ignition key is split but the key still works. Will have to see if i can find something to replace it with.

Rear axles are installed on the spring plates and the brakes ready to go in. Ran out of time.

just chipping away.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Chassis almost done.

Big news is that tires finally came. After ordering them 5 times i finally got a set shipped. Firestone F560 155R15 from Coker. Rims powder coated black with outside painted blue white. I am very happy with them.

Was able to do some of the smaller items this weekend. things i was keeping a list of to not forget.

Rear brakes installed. In fact the entire brake system is done other then the reservoir. Was able to install the master cylinder boot, bend the rear solid brake lines and button it up. Now trying to rig up the reservoir so i can bleed them.

Installed the heater cables, shift coupler, Steering dampener, front torsion bar, tightened up the link pins, installed the clutch return spring and battery positive cable. Is this a good place to say the clutch return spring sucks to install. Could not imagine doing that with the body on and trans installed.

Front doors and sunroof panel were finish painted. Should have all the paint done in a few weeks.

Shift lock painted and imagining where it will sit some day. I am looking for options for a new key cylinder. Mine is cracked. Works but tight.

Parts i am looking for:
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Nice! You’ve come a long way!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

You're doing a beautiful job with this Bug. The details are outstanding.

I noticed your Bowden Tube for the clutch cable is curved up. Mine, and most I've seen curve down. I don't know if the direction of the bend matters functionally, but I wanted to mention it as it is much easier to access now if you have to change it. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can chime in.

I can't wait to see the interior! Keep going!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Amazing work!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 29

Jump to: