Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Not alot of work the last few weeks. Other priorities.

I have been looking for a better option for fender beading than Black or Bahama Blue. Sea Blue is what i need but cannot locate any. (Anyone???)

Compared Bahama Blue from WW and Dark blue from SST. What do you think?

In the shade.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the sun.

Slowly building my doors. First major disappointment in the reproduction parts i got from WW. The window vertical bars. (Vent wing separator) Mine OG ones are OK. The repro are... Lousy. I have not spoken with them yet but they are very scratched under the chrome. you can tell they were not sanded or polished prior to chrome and the chrome looks thin and one layer only. Disappointing.

I then quoted getting mine re-chromed. Lowest quote was $180 each. Holy cow...

Repro on left. OG on right.

OG on left, Repro on right.

Thoughts??

I cleaned up my OG ones the best i can. They are clean but lots of small pits that will rust. These are the pits i am dealing with.

Any ideas out there?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I know the re-chroming quote was steep, but man I'd try to keep those original parts if I could.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

Fixed Quarter Windows. Delodur

Have you considered popout windows instead of fixed? They look great, improve the ventilation termendously, and your body is already drilled for them.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:

Have you considered popout windows instead of fixed? They look great, improve the ventilation termendously, and your body is already drilled for them.

Yes. One of the options i plan to add. I was able to secure an OG set that have been in deep storage for 30 years and are super clean.

I have a stencil on the way right now to try and replicate the front window. If that works then i will do the same for the vent wing glass. I think i can salvage my door and rear glass.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Yes, (good) chroming prices have gone through the roof the last 15 or 20 years. I think it's an EPA thing, makes it costly to obtain/maintain the chemicals.
Anyway, I agree, I would bite the bullet and kick down the $360 and keep your genuine parts. Sad that WW attempted a noble feat to repop those things, but executed poorly (read: CHEAPLY).
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about stenciling for the popouts. Those were often dealer installed, so wouldn't have been an exact match even when the car was new.

As for the fender beading, the only Sea Blue I've ever seen were NOS. (I could use them for my Sea Blue car as well.) I'd suggest looking for the best set of originals you can find, and painting them, adding a flexing agent to the paint.

Heinz Nordhoff
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Headliner work yesterday.

Sunroof panel. Pretty easy. wrinkles will come out once installed.

I was a dummy when i pulled out the old headliner main panel and did not record where the bows went nor what bow goes where. Searching the Samba did not yield the answer. After some testing here is where they go. Long one in rear. Short ones with ends bent in front on the spring hangers. For location you need to measure your headliner. Mine was 10" from rear for the long bar and 9" between the shorter bars. The rear bar gets the rubber end caps. The shorts do not. Also the rubber end caps tend to come off when you remove the rear bar so have extras.

Headliner top panel. Not easy at all. Heat gun and whatever trick i could try and no-joy. The weather was not helping me. Only 70 and overcast. I installed it from the front towards the back. You have to trim the front for the sunroof crank and dont forget the sunroof padding. No matter what i tried i was 1" short.

After alot of fiddling i got one of the ends to stretch into place and started working from the outside in. Then disaster. RIIIPPPP... Both sides. One side about 1" and the other 2". Man. Took it out to assess....

Moved on to carpet. Installed the heater channel, front kick panel and rear. Glued down the heater channel. Only nailed the front kick area so far and did not glue the rear. The shinny dots are the nails. I will touch them up with something not so shinny later.

I cannot remember. Are the front panel, side front panels and rear panels glued in? anyone know?

Happy with the carpet.

Parts i am looking for:
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

It must be fun to be at the stage your at!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

This may have been a huge mistake but i took apart my Sapphire 1. I know the caps need to be replaced and it has alot of oxidation. I may end up doing more harm than good but that has not stopped me yet.

Anyone have a source for:
- IEI 6244-2 or similar dual cap. 50uf/500uf @ 3V
- Bendix 1220353-31 or similar dual cap. 500uf/500uf @ 8V

I pulled off the face plate and using some toothpaste cleaned it up eliminating most of the scratches.

Any chance you can share the source of those caps you found? I have several 12v Sapphires I'd like to attempt the same service you did on yours with. I know they'll be different capacitors but hopefully the source might have something that would work. Thanks

p.s please keep the updates coming.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:

Any chance you can share the source of those caps you found? I have several 12v Sapphires I'd like to attempt the same service you did on yours with. I know they'll be different capacitors but hopefully the source might have something that would work. Thanks

p.s please keep the updates coming.

Jos, The equivalent caps i think i found on Ebay. You can also get them from from Digikey (www.digikey.com).

I hope my post did not come across as if i found and used some vintage caps. Truth be told i did located a vintage silver cap (large one) but everyone i spoke to said not to try using it as they do not age well. They all told me to install the modern caps in place of the originals if i wanted the radio to work. That is what i did. I just went crazy and stuffed the modern caps inside the gutted old caps to keep things looking original.

Hope that helps. If not PM me and happy to share more.

Parts i am looking for:
RUN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Amazing job so far Sir! Shocked

Can I ask, are you replicating Windsor Blue upholsery?

I need one for my 64, but can't find it anywhere Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Emre wrote:
Amazing job so far Sir! Shocked

Can I ask, are you replicating Windsor Blue upholsery?

I need one for my 64, but can't find it anywhere Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Thank you Emre. I am working on the Grey Cord material. I am not familiar with Windsor Blue. Sorry. A long shot but about 5 years ago Alex at ISP West had some 64 only Blue Cord material for sale. If that is the same as Windsor then it may be a lead for you.

Matthew

Parts i am looking for:
52brezelfenster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew, would it be possible to use the Bahama Blue as fender beading to start with, then paint / dye a custom mix of Sea Blue to make it look the part?

I'm looking to do the same thing, happy to split the cost of materials with yah if you want to pursue that avenue. Something to kick around I suppose.

Dustin

[quote="matthew henricks"]Not alot of work the last few weeks. Other priorities.

I have been looking for a better option for fender beading than Black or Bahama Blue. Sea Blue is what i need but cannot locate any. (Anyone???)

Compared Bahama Blue from WW and Dark blue from SST. What do you think?

In the shade.

In the sun.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

52brezelfenster wrote:
Matthew, would it be possible to use the Bahama Blue as fender beading to start with, then paint / dye a custom mix of Sea Blue to make it look the part?

Dustin. You and I think alot alike. The pursuit of perfection and yes i am kicking that around. Smile

When my painter gets back from vacation i am going to investigate this. Initially not super excited about painting plastic but if prepped right and with an additive i think it is the best plan. The beading is static anyways so i think this is interesting.

Will keep you posted.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Headliner is stalled. I did repair the tears as shown below. Some whip stitching back to the cardboard stitch and then glued the seam to re-enforce. I am also this time starting from the back of the headliner towards the front. It has been too cool to try again so when it warms up a little. I figure i have one chance left with this one.

Been messing around with glass. OG front window glass does not exist and Laminated is not reproduced. I have an original piece of glass from the 70's that is aftermarket where the original glass logo is nearly faded. Kicking around polishing off the rest of the label and re-branding it. I know to some this is not cool but my car... Here is what i have come up with and my test run using tempered glass as a test bed worked great.

I am very pleased with the results.

That is all for now.

Parts i am looking for:
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I've said this on another post re "rebranding" glass with another logo.

The glass on cars is marked as an AS1 or AS2 amongst other things to identify to the users (and probably the authorities) that the glass has met the Federal Glass standard as verified by the manufacturer.

If you change the glass manufacturer by etching the glass with another maker's mark or indeed the glass standard you may be bordering on fraud not to mention possible legal liability now or into the future. It's a form of counterfeiting involving the Federal government.

It's your car and do what you like but remember the possible consequences down the road if it ever comes to light. I have a friend who did something similar only to find the insurance cover was cancelled after an accident because he had done something similar and modified a safety part which was subject to a government "standard".
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I seriously doubt in the US they're going to come after you for altering the markings on a window....
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

They may not, but I'm just pointing it out.

So what happens when a future person gets thrown through the window and it isn't the proper kind and they forensically find it has been doctored. Given the level of litigation in the states I'd be concerned.

I don't want to be a spoil-sport about it. I just wanted to express an opinion of the legality and perhaps morality of doing so.

It would be like a Chinese company stating that a seat belt complies with an ISO or US Standard when it doesn't. Oh? They do it now?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you Viiking for your input.

Parts i am looking for:
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 29

Jump to: