Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I am glad i am not the only noticing poor fitment.

sportin-wood wrote:
Could that sticker on the fan shroud be the firing order sticker/magnet you sometimes see?

For sure no. That was my first thought. this sticker is all text. No VW logo and no image.

chickensoup pt 2 wrote:
I happen to have one...

Thank you but no need. I still have my OG ones. My rear is actually in good shape. I may have to apply some glycerin to see if i could soften it up. My front is shot.

chickensoup pt 2 wrote:
I think you trimming idea...

This is my first step. I have to get over the idea that i may ruin it but this fit is just plain bad. The research i have done seems to indicate that most people sell the WW one for this year bug. Fat chance finding a good original one too....

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Finally made some progress with balancing.

My fourth set-up for crank rod end measurements worked and now both the ends and total mass are within 1 gram of each other. The key was a double pivot on the large rod end. This finally got me repeatable results for all rods.

I used Larger bearings too. These are the same bearings used in alternators. To make it fit the large rod end I first centered the bearing in the rod and sealed the bottom with tape holding the bearing in place. Then i pored in some Cerrobend. This is low melting metal to form the adapter to the rod end. Worked great. Melts at 157F and can be re-used or machined.

Melting over stove.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pored into "mold"

Final part

I then turned down some 3/4" aluminum to nicely fit the 15mm bearing ID and tapped it for M8 bolts to make the double pivot system using wood. That was then simple screwed to my old static balance rig. Ugly but it worked.

Then Balance away. An Apex wheel works great for this.

I played around a little with a dynamic balance set-up for the crank. I found this video and wanted to try.

Link

I set this up on a lathe. In principle it works but i think my lathe tail stock is too stiff. I got about .001" deflection at almost any RPM. Kicking around ideas to improve this as i am not satisfied yet.

Engine parts are coming together.
- Pick up my case today from FAT/Rimco.
- Grabbing new lifters and cam bearings from Gene Berg.
- Engine main bearings arrived from Jos
- Misc parts arrived from So Cal Imports
- My heads are still at Old Speed. Unknown to me the broken stud really was a broken off tap.

Getting closer every day.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

By the way, I went out and looked at my floor mat at the top of the tunnel, and it's exactly like yours, a full 3/4" of gap at the apex. Bummer. Crappy stuff like this just makes me wanna do carpet and forget about it.
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I put the WW mat over carpet,fits nice!
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Picked up my case from Rimco. It is easy to forget that fresh cases look bright instead of the 50 year oxidized look the rest of the case has.

I spend some time cleaning the case. I really really want to get it super clean but i think i am about done. I decided NOT to use Lye to clean it. Honestly i just don't want to mess with it and not sure how to go about it. I also thought long and hard about bead blasting it. Everything i read says not to unless you pull all the galley plugs and even then not sure.

Soooo... I pulled galley plugs. Glad i did as man were they caked with crud. They are aluminum so drill a 1/8" hole. Screw into it a large screw and use a little leverage. They all pulley pretty easy. They have about .1mm interference.

Bought a number if gun barrel brass cleaning brushes and went to town. Scared myself a few times as the brush broke inside the galley. Had to fish them out. Happy with the results.

Going to machine up new plugs this week. Pretty easy pieces to turn. The two threaded pieces i will re-use. The other 9 i will make.

I did NOT yet blast anything. Just not sure... Any opinions? I have glass bead, Aluminum oxide and a little walnut shell. Also have Soda but that does not do a whole lot i have already learned.

Did some painting. All my engine tin was Epoxy primered Saturday and Painted Satin Black Sunday. Also painted my push rod tubes. It all turned out great. Was super tempted to powder coat it all but glad i took the time to paint them myself. (And saved a ton of money. The quoted $600)

Also spend some time cleaning all my internal engine parts. Everything is ready once i get new galley plugs in place except the crank balancing. I am going to take another stab at that. (The push rod tubes below are before painting them...)

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

yup. Thats why I say removing the oil galley plugs is an absolute must. It gets real nasty in there. especially after machining.

Just dont use the EMPI aluminum threaded NPT plugs. They are SOOOO bad its not even funny. The brass ones seem to be a nice mix between durability but have a closer expansion rate to the mag alloy than steel. plus, they wont rust.

Con rod jig looks good too. Seems to have worked. nice work sir.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Just dont use the EMPI aluminum threaded NPT plugs.

I'll be making my own galley plugs.

Last night i almost went for it and blasted my case. I found i had a bucket of walnut shell for my blast cabinet. Well... That did not work very well. My blaster could not process the shell for some reason... Maybe my case is clean enough...

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

My case is done. Ready to assembly.

I went ahead and blasting it. I figured with the galley plugs out i could clean it really good so why not have a clean block. A few more hours of cleaning and i was was pleased with the results.

I bought a bunch of nylon gun barrel cleaners and using my drill cleaned the galleys out one more time. Nylon worked way better than brass. Blew compressed air everywhere. Found alot of blast media hiding in the head bolt threads. Rinse and repeat. rinse and repeat. Did i say i was pleased with the results?

Then onto installing galley plugs. I used Loctite 609 with primer which is for tight fits. They all had to be pressed in too.

For the two front threaded plugs i used loctite 248. This may be a mistake. I may change this out for something more of a sealant. Did not want to use the 609 as i would NEVER get them back out.

Blasted my cylinder too (just the outside) and painted them with some high temp paint.

Noticed some wear on the case rear flange from the rear sheet metal tabs. I am sure wear is normal but this much???

Any suggestions on how to fix? I was thinking of drilling holes into the web, inserting some steel pins that stick into the void and then building the area up with JB weld. If i do nothing then my own rear tin will rattle around.

I am behind schedule for sure but should have an engine installed into the chassis next weekend.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Anyone care to double check my main bearing info? Something is not right.

Crank Main Journals measure 2.145" or 54.50mm
2nd cut or .5mm under size or .020" under size.

Case journals measuring the old bearings measure 2.561" or 65.05
standard or un-cut.

Thrust measures .8655" or 21.98mm
standard or uncut.

That means i need a 0/.50 or STD/20

I think that is part number 111 198 465B or 11 198 456 456T depending on what vendor i look at.

Is that the correct way to figure this out?

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

yes, mains are 2nd over (.5mm). Case bore is standard. Thrust is standard.

vw part # is 111198465b

So yes, your good.

ALthough, whats the run out like on the main bores? A standard line bore within spec is rare on original cases.

heres a good set if they mic out well,

https://www.vwnos.com/111-198-465-b
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Repair of the case where the rear sheet metal sits. Using basic concrete construction method. Wire re-enforcement with filler.

Drill holes in case to fit wire.

Insert wire with JB weld to secure wire to case.

Fill in wire lattice with JB weld

Sand to shape once dry.

I am pleased with the results.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Based on some input from other builders i double checked all my plugs. One I was not pleased with and i knew it was probably not good when i installed it. It did not feel the same.

Re-make the plug but this time ream the hole and make the plug to the reamed size.

Wash the case again. Amazing how many times you wash a case and you still find stuff. So for good measure i washed it three more times. Move along.

All my head studs were oxidized so re-finished them

Test fitting.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I like that collet lathe. What kind is it?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I like that collet lathe. What kind is it?

That is a Kent Tool room Lathe. Not mine... Very nice to use. It is what i use when i have to hit better than .001". My personal lathe is an old Logan 9" that uses 3AT collets but is not as accurate.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Short Block assy. After alot of work cleaning and learning the details of the short block i finally put it together.

Lubed and ready to go.

I had to take it apart once because i dropped a washer inside and i was not happy with one of the connecting rods "Feel". Second time was good.

Next was to work on Deck Height and Compression Ratio. My first try at deck height was a kluge. Was not happy so moved on to Head CC.

Head CC went well. Made my own kit from Plexiglass i had.

Back to Deck Height. Lets do it right this time. Made a new tool from cast tooling plate.

Got good numbers. Left and right are my calculations swapping the head from L/R to see the different CC effect. The Red is anything above 8:1 CR. In the end i am going for 7.5:1 so i will be using the left side of the chart and probably using .040" on #1-#3 and .020" on #4.

Time to make shims. This was the roughing of the 4" chunk of steel. Have not finished yet so more to come. Making .02", .03" & .04" shims just in case.

Some cleaning of the heat riser tube and welding it back up.

I hope the next image is a long block and then a complete engine.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

We have an Engine! Well. Almost. Productive weekend.

Getting there was frustrating. The high-lights.

Just before this picture i was installing the last piston C clip and boing... There it goes into the engine. I found it on in the backside of #3 piston. After playing "operation" I got it out.

Using a pipe wrench tool wrong can lead to a whole day getting nothing done. Totally blew out the generator stand.

Then finding out not all generator stands are the same became a rabbit hole of learning why. I did finally find a replacement.

FWIW

113.101.211 B
113.101.211 C

are all different. I had a "C" and found the non-rev would work. The difference is the angle of the oil filler cap on the "C" is about 10 degrees less. More upright that is. The "B" is for a larger generator. Go figure....

This is the "B".

How many times does it take to get the generator fan assy done right? For me i think it was 7 or 8. I kept getting flex in the fan shroud that would rub the fan. Finally got it right.

Not done but close. I want to stick it in the chassis and try to start it up but with the wire harness and fuel tank in the body i am not sure how to do it. Any tips?

Does anyone have any of these parts?

- Fresh Air clamp between muffler & heater box.
- OG oil filler cap in great shape
- Pair of rocker arm mount bolts. round stud style
- OG fresh air plastic bellow between heater box and body. need 2
- Thermostat ring pivot shaft

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Not sure i made it clear how uncomfortable engine work is for me. My last one was 20 years ago and lets just say carburetors & I have an agreement. If they work then I stay sane...

Saturday was the big day. Knowing i did not have the body on the chassis means no gas tank and no wiring. Also no switches. I did some research and found this diagram to help me out. I did the short version in that i did not hook up the oil pressure or generator yet. Jut trying to get the engine to fire. My starter switch was a screw driver across the leads of the starter. To kill the engine i pulled the wire to the coil.

Without the body in the way installing the engine is super easy. Just like a bus.

Most of the story is without photo's because i was just trying to figure it out.

- Hook things up. Short out the starter and see if it turns over. Check.
- Poor some gas down the carb and see it it sputters. Nothing.
- Make some checks and do it again. Finally sputters but weak.
- Hook up fuel pump to fuel can. Siphon gas up. Still weak.
- Swap out small black coil for known good blue coil. Still weak.
- Re-check static timing. Adjust a little. We get a good short run.
- Fill carb, adjust timing and get a good run till gas runs out. Hmmm.
- Repeat. Same results. No fuel in pump. Hmmm.
- Remove pump. Check drive rod, diaphragm, valves. All OK but no change.
- Install another fuel pump. No change.
- Install shorter base for more rod travel. No change
- Disconnect Carb. Fuel pump shoots fuel. OK....
- Check float bowl cut off valve. Works. Dooooh!!! I know what i did.

Lets go back to March and this image. Do you see what is missing from the carb top?

The inlet pipe is not on the top half of the carb. It was loose so i knurled it and JB welded it in place. Do you know what i did now? Yup. I glued the fuel line shut.

After drilling that out all was well and the engine ran great. Sounds strong and smooth. I still have to check the carb adjustments and confirm the generator is working but that was enough because...

What is that?

Do you see the water on top of the tin? Constant drip. Took the whole top end of the engine apart and man i suck at welding.

So we will weld that up again and in the meantime this is how i left her.

It was a good weekend though. Happy she fired and it seems no major troubles so far.

I took a look again at my floor mats. Man i hate these WW ones. They simply do not fit. My originals are 113 863 703 A front and 113 863 717 B rear. I need to find something.

Now the big question is do i go all the way and try and drive this as a chassis? That would mean a proper electrical set-up, proper gas tank, seat and steering column.

Not sure anymore. I just want to get the body on now... Any thoughts there?

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

My tuppence: unless there is some driving ( Wink Laughing ) reason to see if the chassis is capable of moving under its own power, I'd hold off and put the body on first.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

If you have issues with the fuel inlet barb you can drill and tap the boss. Put whatever you wish in it. NPT barbed nipple, AN, JIC, whatever.

chassis looks great tho!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback.

Today I reminded myself once again how much I suck at welding. No matter what I tried the heat riser still was not water tight.

Set back today on my seat material. Another delay from the supplier. Late January now

I am on a the lookout for one crazy part. There has to be one for sale somewhere in the USA. I found one in the UK but shipping is nuts.

Anyone know of a Peka tow hitch for sale?

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 29

Jump to: