Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
however, I am not going an amazingly accurate 1964 restoration.

Thank you for the kind comment.

You are welcome.

matthew henricks wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Wire, huh? Well, there is another thing to add to the changes made to the seat covers. What size wire did you use?

Standard 1/16" bailing wire. Bend the end over and crimp it. Then pull/push around the cover in the sewn over hem. (Or sew it in place but that has risk). The wire goes over the metal spikes and gives the covers something to pull against. The nylon does not give the same resistance. Put the cover and wire over the spikes, Pull the wire tight, twist the end together and away you go.

Neat! Appreciate knowing this.

matthew henricks wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
See where the red goes to white and then white to red

Here you go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Okay, the top stripe is 9cm wide and from top of the panel to top of bottom stripe is 31cm.

Comparing your measurements to my pocket, doesn't look right. Do you mind provide this information, please?

matthew henricks wrote:
Am i too picky or am i the first person question quality?

You certainly not the first person. I learned from a friend a lot of the times original, even if worn, is better than reproductions.

Glenn mentioned something I had not considered and share here so others see it. If we are too critical, the business may decide the negative feedback is too much and close shop.

matthew henricks wrote:
Frustrating day with tail lights. what should have been a 30 min job never got done. Paid extra for the German, Hella European tail light lenses. I expect the to look good and fit. They don't.

Part number 111945241KGR
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111945241KGR

Using OG tail housings, OG reflectors and OG chrome rings.

My firsts clue was the lousy fit of the OG chrome ring to the lens. Super loose around the lens like it was almost so small it would not hold the ring. Weird but OK... Then for the life of me i could not screw the lens on. It would not go.

Took a step back after struggling for a while. I pulled out my old one lenses. VW/Audi brand from around 1989. Probably from West Coast Metric. Check the fit. They fit fine. Get out the calipers to measure and compare and oh man... These are bad.

Screw hole center line should be 66.7mm. Hella units are 63.7mm.
Overall witch should be 87.3mm. These are 83.4mm
Overall height was close. With-in .5mm of each other.

These are not even close. 3mm off. I finally got them to "mount" but the lens is going to crack.

These will be going back and i will clean up my 1989 set. Very disappointing.

Guess i have to go back to WW. (The front turn signals were not much better BTW.)

New Hella on top. cleaned up circa 1989 VW/Audi bottom.

Different widths.

Molded hole stud offset. (Other holes are aligned)

Over half a hole diameter off.

Shocked Yikes! Makes me wonder what happened. I am glad didn't have the bread for replacement lenses, clearly original is the only way.

What are you going to do to polish them?

Have you ever repaired a crack?

matthew henricks wrote:
On a good note i finished the passenger door. Door panel was a pain to get on but it is on.

Pro tips.
- Put the clips all the way out in the circle. It is easier to push then in then pull then out.
- Spray a little silicone into the rubber seal cups. Helps the clips snap in.
- Test fit the door handles and window handle ahead of time.

Drivers side door is ready to go on but i am missing a handle spring.

Rear seat mounted. Pleased.

Nice seeing progress. Very Happy

matthew henricks wrote:
I could easily drive the bug now since we have a full set of seats installed.

Yay! Bet feels amazing. Interior is looking smart.

matthew henricks wrote:
I ended up cleaning my old floor mats the best i could and re-installing them. They are REALLY bad. Glycerin soak for four days did not really do anything.

Have you tried the Aerospace 303? If that does not work, nothing will.

matthew henricks wrote:
I drilled holes... (And i did not get a pictures so at least no evidence...)

I used to be this way until working on Ruby and she is full of holes, decided holes can be welded shut.

matthew henricks wrote:
Playing around with the decklid again. No clear solution. Not sure how to drive out the pin without damaging the paint. From the outside to the inside there is no room to work and swing a hammer and the other way i think the pin will hit the decklid before it clears. Hmm...

What about a plate welded to a piece of tubing that can sit on the hinge and then weld a nut to the plate with a bolt with a sharpened end, make your own press tool?

matthew henricks wrote:
the holes are way off front/back. Will have to dream up a clean solution

What holes are way off?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Gonna be jumping around with today's update. Probably a bit long too.

Wolfsfburg West. I will say it again. For all the frustration they take care of you. They took back the German tail light housing no questions asked.

The will call also said he took my returned floor mats home and put them on his 62 pan. They still had a small gap and his pan had no insulation. that tells me it is the floor mat.

Decklid. i put a nut behind the stripped hinge. Works for now. I also made some 1/4" spacers to stand the bumpers off a little to clear the decklid. It is not factory and not perfect but works. Ill post pictures later.

Running Boards. Fit them. For the most part pleased. Not totally sure how well the fit should be to the fenders. My fronts fit great. Rear not so much. Had to trim the mat to clear the slots out for washers too. Overall pleased. Thinking about undercoating them to stave off rust.

Also if you have a sunroof don't pinch your drain tubes.

Electrical Gremlins. Made good progress on this today. All lights and electrical bits are working except the interior light and radio. For the most part it was all about grounds. (Isn't always) I ran independent grounds for all the lights except the license light. Pleased.

This is the "drilling" i mentioned last time. also the added ground cable for the front turn signals.

How fast should a stock 2 prong turn signal can flash?
What controls the speed?

Front trunk latch. It would not latch. Nothing i tried and nothing i adjusted. It finally struck me that i had the pull cable connected to the latch too loose. It was not allowing the lock to close around the post. That took far too long to figure out but....

Rear tire camber. Not sure if my rear end is too low. It sure seems too low to me. Hard to get a picture but my tires seems to be tilted the wrong way. how and where do you measure this?

Engine. Started right up and went for a short drive. I have a knock... Not there at idle but there otherwise. I will re-adjust my valves and hope it is from the valve train.

To-Do list. It is getting shorter. 33 items left and i should be very close to not spending any more money.

Kicking myself as i forgot to buy my missing door panel spring while at WW Friday. Going to try to find a used one locally. (Image borrowed)

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Looking great!

Flashing is based off of electron flow. The more draw, the quicker the bimetallic contact gets hot and bends, causing an open within the unit. Once open, it reverses as it cools back down, then makes contact again or closing the circuit, causing the electrons to flow, causing it to heat back up and open once again.

If your lights are LEDs the amperage would be slightly less. They sell LED specific units. Bulb wattage is another item. Think it is 18 watts?.?. Would need to double check that one. Then the grounds, switch contacts and bulb holder to bulb housing contacts.

The rear spring plate is set by a magnetic protractor on the torsion arm, with the pan level, during install. I think it starts at 21.5 degrees. But again, I would need to double check that spec.

And, did you notice that you have 2 different roll up window cranks. One is ribbed, looks aftermarket. The other is what you need. A non ribbed crank.

As always, if you want some help, just ask! I am down the street, maybe a mile!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
my56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

The window winder on the left is split window bug style.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Goodness, lots of progress.

If I remember, will have a look at Ruby's running boards, don't recall the gaps front or back.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I should have been clear. Those are NOT my window handles. I have the right ones. It was an image i stole to show the spring i am missing and need to locate cheap. Smile

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Looking great!

Flashing is based off of electron flow....
If your lights are LEDs...

Thank you Jimbo. I am NOT running any LED lights. I have confirmed all ground and coated all with Di-electric grease. Just alot slower than my bus. (It is the stock 2 prong aluminum can FWIW seen below)

VW_Jimbo wrote:
The rear spring plate is set by a magnetic protractor on the torsion arm

I set it when i built the pan. The butt end of this car always sagged so wondering if the torsion bars are bad?

Was also wondering if there was any other measurement point on the body to check. Did not find anything yet in the Bently.

I have since acquired the factory tool to do this job. (Dumb luck but after i did the job...) How do you tell if the springs are soft as i do not relish doing that job again...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
I have since acquired the factory tool to do this job. (Dumb luck but after i did the job...) How do you tell if the springs are soft as i do not relish doing that job again...

Looked around and not finding new torsion bars, so I doubt will find used that is any better.

Volkswagen set the front little high to produce additional understeer. If you want the back up higher, then adjust how you would like. I did some digging and found the stock ground clearance is 152mm. Hope this helps. Very Happy

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Hey Matthew, finally remembered to get you pictures, hope it helps. Not seeing the rubber even folding over the ends.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you. It would seem that your first image shows that the rear is not a super tight fit while the front is. OK. Not that i have any options but i am satisfied.

Thank you for the measurement too.

Parts i am looking for:
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Thank you. It would seem that your first image shows that the rear is not a super tight fit while the front is. OK. Not that i have any options but i am satisfied.

Thank you for the measurement too.

Glad to help.

What measurement? Are you referring to the seatbelt thread? If so, again glad to help, y'all been a big help to me. Very Happy

Also look the the rubber mat, doesn't wrap over the end, looking at where it is trapped under the trim. Therefore, find interesting Wolfsburg West's does seem to (had to be cut to install the bolts). Nothing wrong, just observing.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Been away from the VW a few weeks. Medical reasons. This weekend was going to be a big weekend. It was but for other reasons. Oh Well.

First order of business was to check my valve clearances for that knock. I was gaming for .008" on the intake and .012" on exhaust. All were within .001" and none larger than the spec.

Engine did not seem to knock until i took it for a drive. Not apparent from the outside but clear from the inside.

Here is the thing though. I have not driven this or any bug in 15 years. I am used to buses which have ALOT more metal and seats in the way to kill sounds. Maybe this is normal... I am going to have to get another opinion.

I will say though. Man the engine is smooth. Went listening with a wood dowel for the knock and there is NO vibration. Pleased there...

Dug out my old OG rear seat covers. They are shot for anything so lets make a new tool roll. Not done yet but...

Found the label "DW" on the back. Probably the fabric mfg.

Was working on the fitment of the hitch to the bumper. Needed to fabricate a new link bracket. My Peka is a 714 model and IMO is for a late 60's early 70's bug. The bumper bracket does not quite work but i am OK fixing that. Got it all fit and noticed the hitch was far too free, It was moving around. Not good.

Spend the rest of day fixing that. Tack welded it while it was on the bug this time. I should have done that to begin with to get the angle right. Too much stress. I then removed it and re-welded it. This time i welded it good and will just leave the weld bead. I think grinding down the bead last time and not having good penetration was the issue. Not using this to tow anything so...

I also finished up the trunk. Adjusted things and put the liner back in. Still have the radio wiring to finish up.

Good looking car. Chipping away at the to-do list. 30 items to go. For sure raising the rear suspension is going to happen.

Hubcaps will be the last thing. When you see those i am done...

Sunday was a total bust. Doing other VW work and generated myself 4 hours of unrelated clean-up work by making a tiny mistake. I hope to share more about this side project after Christmas.

Parts i am looking for:
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Please tell me you have this project garage kept! Living in SoCal myself for most of my life, I know there are idiots out there lurking and waiting to pounce on a nice classic car someone has poured their heart & soul into. Looking good!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Christmas has come and gone. With the week off i was going to finish the bug. Well... mother nature had other plans and spending time with my family is my priority so....

Started sealing the chassis. I know... I should have done that a year ago. Much harder to do now so suck it up and get-er done.

Bought a replacement door panel handle spring from TheSamba but it was 1/2" taller than what i needed. bummer. Put it in my vice and applied a little heat and all fixed. Ugly but will work.

Cut the electrical tab off of the Peka hitch bumper support. Will weld it into a better position. Got a new tag for it. Also looked at the electrical and i get to take the tar board out of the engine yet again to run the wires.

Tackled repairing the glove box. Idiot me tightened the strap too much and crushed it and then got it wet to add insult to injury. Made some forms, used lead and wood creatively to add weight, mix wood glue with water to glue it together. Also minced up some brown paper with water and made some paper mache to fill in the gaps. Next up will be to re-flock it.

I never knew the Emergency brake boot cover had an o-ring over the arm to hold the cover in place. this ended in 1964. Pulled out the box of O-rings and tested what size worked. 22mm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=648326&highlight=coloring+brake+boot

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113863345A

Installed the new heater cable and secured the steering bolts to wrap things up.

Still chasing the knocking sound in the engine... sigh...

Parts i am looking for:
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew, I've had "knocky" engines in the past, and as far back as I can remember, I'd had experienced ears take a listen and they just chalked it up to a bit of excessive cam lash. Is that a possibility?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Matthew, I've had "knocky" engines in the past...Is that a possibility?

I don't know. I am no engine wizard and am far more accustom to the sounds of a bus.

When i start it up it is apparent but quiets down. (I was thinking oil pressure for a while) There is a normal ticking from the valves that i can hear and then the knock. Using a wood rod i cannot figure out where it is coming from.

When i built the engine i had one rod that was more sticky than the others but after fiddling around it was fine. This may be the same fear from when i flooded the case and it was leaking. I have asked a more experienced ear to stop by this weekend and listen. I hope it is nothing but..

Parts i am looking for:
garethevans92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew, I’ve just read this whole thread from beginning to end over the last week or so - some epic workmanship and I’ve learnt a lot from you on your pursuit of near perfection! Kicking me into gear on my own ‘65 Sunroof, so thank you.

Looking forward to seeing the completion and your enjoyment of driving this glorious thing! Keep it up.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Busstom wrote:
Matthew, I've had "knocky" engines in the past...Is that a possibility?

I don't know. I am no engine wizard and am far more accustom to the sounds of a bus.

When i start it up it is apparent but quiets down. (I was thinking oil pressure for a while) There is a normal ticking from the valves that i can hear and then the knock. Using a wood rod i cannot figure out where it is coming from.

When i built the engine i had one rod that was more sticky than the others but after fiddling around it was fine. This may be the same fear from when i flooded the case and it was leaking. I have asked a more experienced ear to stop by this weekend and listen. I hope it is nothing but..

For the moment my engine has exact the same problem since a rebuilt. The knock is only when cold, after 500m route it is gone, so not easy to examine. When the enigne is more cold at winter, the knock is heavier. Have to split it again... perhaps an oil passage blocked, so only warm oil gets through the blockade?
Interesting: I also had one rod that was more sticky, after some playing with a hammer it stayed what it was, so I left it like that.
With the engine like that, I drove several 1000 km in summer to France and back. No problem. But hearing that noise at start drives me crazy.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

garethevans92 wrote:
Matthew, I’ve just read this whole thread from beginning to end over the last week or so - some epic workmanship

Thank you for the kind words. Glad my OCD helps some people with their projects. Enjoy the journey your 65 will take you on.

Parts i am looking for:
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
"First order of business was to check my valve clearances for that knock. I was gaming for .008" on the intake and .012" on exhaust. All were within .001" and none larger than the spec."

Matthew-
As far as valve clearances go, unless your heads still have long rocker studs you should be able to run .006" clearance on all your valves. Even with long studs you shouldn't need more than .008", even on exhausts. Being a '64, though, my guess is your heads don't have the long studs.

*EDIT*
My own April '64 motor still had heads with long rocker studs- so yours may still have them as well. Embarassed
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Quote:

As far as valve clearances go, unless your heads still have long rocker studs you should be able to run .006" clearance on all your valves.

Thank you tcoop. Bentley had a bunch of info in it on clearances down to .004" based on year. My heads have the updated valve bolts in that they are not metric but SAE. (To correct the pull out issue i guess they had) Not sure if that is what you mean. (Below is the only image i have of the rocker attachment area)

Parts i am looking for:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 29

Jump to: