Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
tcoop1100 wrote:
Quote:

As far as valve clearances go, unless your heads still have long rocker studs you should be able to run .006" clearance on all your valves.

Thank you tcoop. Bentley had a bunch of info in it on clearances down to .004" based on year. My heads have the updated valve bolts in that they are not metric but SAE. (To correct the pull out issue i guess they had) Not sure if that is what you mean. (Below is the only image i have of the rocker attachment area)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then you have short stud heads.

It has been many years ago that Russ Wolfe posted about valve clearances, tried searching for it however, the search feature seems to have a bug as not showing any results with his user name. As I remember, 0.004" was the original specification for intakes and changed because of owners causing damage by incorrect valve adjustment. On the paperwork received with an Engle camshaft, it specifies 0.004" on both exhaust and intake.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Yes, you've had the short stud kit installed- try adjusting to .006" intake and .008" exhaust, see how it runs and how it sounds while driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

When long stud heads are repaired/converted using short stud inserts, both the intake and exhaust lash should be set to .004" or the later .006" specification.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/practicalwork_engine/39.jpg
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of that. Good to know, thanks.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you Guy's. I will check my heads tomorrow and try to re-set the gaps. I am plan to pull the fan belt to eliminate that too.

Today was some more fun crossing things off the list. First up was the horn. It no worky...

Traced all wires for continuity. I then figured out that 64 does NOT use the steering coupling ground cable. Dooh! Pulled that off but still no joy.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111971246

- Pulled the horn and tested it on the bench. Works.
- Checked voltage to the horn going direct to ground. 6V.
- Checked voltage at the horn through the horn circuit. 1V. OK...
- Re-seated and added DI-electric grease to all connections. Still 1V.

Started checking voltage back from the horn and found my steering column wire is not solid. The clip to the actual column is loose. How the heck do you fix that?

Sunroof. It is not smooth and hard to close. Going to snap the crank.

- Headliner panel. Padding too thick & 3M adhesive failed. Need to re-do
- Not enough grease on the cables. Added more.
- Crank end point not right. Going too far. Fixed that.
- Headliner material @ opening loose. (Again lousy adhesive) fixed that.

Much Better but no headliner panel in right now. I need to see if TMI sells that by itself as i really need to totally re-do it.

I then installed the seals for the sunroof. Was being cheap and used some rubber cement. Big mistake. 30 minutes later it was all removed and this time automotive seal adhesive. A bit of a job but pleased. This is for sure a measure twice, glue once thing.

(Note the ultra hard to find black hole caps. Smile I did seat it all the way after image taken )

Tow hitch wiring. Pulled apart the old one and cleaned it up. Cleaned all the oil & tape mess on the cable. Not sure if i want to use the repro Hella unit or the original unit. Original is beefy. Hella is cheesy. i also am still working out the wire routing plan.

That is it for 2022. We will for sure finish the bug in 2023.

See ya next year.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Thank you Guy's.

Glad to help.

That reminds me, OCD is an actual condition, not a casual label (I am diagnosed OCD). You are simply concerning yourself with the details, like a few of folks here. And because of this, these folks, including myself, learn from you, like the rubber mats.

matthew henricks wrote:
See ya next year.

Well, the new year is here, though not there. Razz

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

23 items left on the list to finish the bug. 5 of them are critical to driving and conducting shake down drives. The rest are cosmetic/detail.

Tested the engine today by removing the fan belt. Knock still there.

Tomorrow i hope to re-adjust the valves to test that too but this knock is separate from the normal ticking of the rockers which i can also hear. Will report.

Adjusted the brakes again as they are dragging. Should disc brakes (front) drag on the rotor? I need to learn a little there as there is nothing that opens the rotor when you release the brakes. They have alot of drag. Maybe i just needs some miles on them. Hmmm...

Pulled out my parcel tray and cleaned it up. This was a find probably 30 years ago. Literally a sign on the window at 7-11. This and a roof rack for $25.

Found my bottom trunk liner. Could not figure out where it was and did not think i tossed it. Anyone know what the purpose of this was? It is 1/8" tar board that sits under the trunk liner. Don't see it in the WW catalog. I may have to re-make it as t is getting long in the tooth.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Started checking voltage back from the horn and found my steering column wire is not solid. The clip to the actual column is loose. How the heck do you fix that?

The terminal tab is held to the column tube with rivets IIRC, so your choices will be either try to tighten the existing rivets, replace the rivets with new ones or small screws & nuts, or solder the tab in place. Whatever method you choose be sure to verify you have good continuity between the column tube and the terminal tab.

Quote:
Adjusted the brakes again as they are dragging. Should disc brakes (front) drag on the rotor? I need to learn a little there as there is nothing that opens the rotor when you release the brakes. They have alot of drag. Maybe i just needs some miles on them. Hmmm...

Disc brakes can have just a slight amount of drag, but there shouldn't be a lot. If you can't get the wheel to spin a full revolution or two then the drag is excessive.

Unlike drum brakes which use springs to retract the shoes when the brakes are released, disc brake pads retract ever so slightly from the rotor due to the flexing action of the rubber seals around the pucks in the brake calipers. Crud buildup on the caliper pucks can cause them to stick and drag, or you can have excessive residual line pressure problems or blocked compensating port issues just like on drum systems.

Quote:
Found my bottom trunk liner. Could not figure out where it was and did not think i tossed it. Anyone know what the purpose of this was? It is 1/8" tar board that sits under the trunk liner. Don't see it in the WW catalog. I may have to re-make it as t is getting long in the tooth.

It's just sound insulation, similar in concept to the tar boards on the floor pans or those glued to the inside of the doors. I haven't seen anybody offer a reproduction.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you Mukluk for that info. Fixing that tab is going to be a joy unless i pull the steering column out. Maybe if i pull the gas tank. We will see.

An update on the engine knock.

I have short stunds in the heads.
Adjusted the valves to .004". No change.
From cold up to warm. No change.
High RPM of idle. Noise increases pace so no change.

Got out my wood dowel again.

I think it is coming from the drivers side and in the cylinders/heads. I can't get the dowel anywhere to positively detect it but as i moved from side to side it is more apparent on the drivers side. I can get a dowel on the case in many places and i do not pick up the sound.

Was thinking exhaust for a second but nope.

Hmmm....

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Spend some time yesterday chasing the horn issues. Pulled the gas tank to look at the steering column wire attachment. Not as bad as i though but i think i am going to solder it to make sure. May have to pull the column to do that right.

Sat back to think about what else would cause resistance or intermittent contact. I have checked every wire and loose voltage at the steering column.
Good everywhere else. What is left is the bearing at the steering wheel. I did not clean that or pull it. Lets get after it.

Ever wonder what the steering lock engagement looks line in the steering column?

This electrical path is glossed over in most of the horn diagnostics i read.
The ground path from the steering wheel side of the horn goes through the turn cancelation ring, then to the copper disc on the column, through the compression spring and into the bearing. From the bearing to to column and then down to the wire that goes to the horn.

Passing electricality through a bearing is not generally a good idea but here we are. Lets take it apart and grease it with Di-electric grease. It was pretty dirty but smooth. Now it is clean and smooth.

Put it all back together and no change. Man....

I think my problem is the lousy fit between the bearing and the steering column. I have 1/16" movement meaning a 1/32 gap on all sides. The bearing shows wear on the ID surface. OK... New bearing then. Maybe not.

I was reading about this in a few troubleshooting threads but no solution other than replacing the bearing. Read a number of threads about fitment issues with the new bearings.

I think i am going to wrap some copper sheet around the column to build up the gap. Will see how that works out.

Parts i am looking for:
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Did some research of my own, didn't find what I was looking for, though did find a thread simply titled "Horn." To see if it applies, read through and on page three Split Junkie suggests adjusting the contacts, which one has reported solving a non working horn: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...9d2c1377d8.

The other thing I be checking is the resistance between each stage, those that can be reached.

Hope this helps. Very Happy

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

This. I doubt it is the bearing that causes trouble.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you Adrial & Pastellgreen.

I was actually reading that thread on Sunday and heading towards the relay idea when the bearing came to mind.

For sure it is not the contacts (at the steering wheel) as they are not even installed at this point. I am simply shorting the brown wire to the horn ring on the wheel with alligator clips.

Systematically speaking I have checked everything.
- Horn works on the bench with 6V
- 6V power at horn Black/yellow wire when connected direct to ground.
- Shorting horn wires (bypassing the horn) 6V at column base.
- 6V at top of column
- Intermittent 6v at steering wheel based on manipulation.
- Continuity to ground for the brown wire to the base of the steering box.

Maybe with the wheel on the column and under normal conditions the weight of your arms keeps that grounded and that is why it is not a normal trouble spot?

I am fine with the relay but want to understand this too.

in that thread and the only place i can positively effect either continuity or voltage is at the bearing based on how i manipulate the steering shaft in the bearing.

Parts i am looking for:
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

The shaft should not have play to the inner bearing shell. There is a open conical bush that is pushed between the steering shaft and the bearing by the strong spring (part 50). This bush installed should avoid any play and should create a proper electrical connection.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Thank you Adrial & Pastellgreen.

I was actually reading that thread on Sunday and heading towards the relay idea when the bearing came to mind.

For sure it is not the contacts (at the steering wheel) as they are not even installed at this point. I am simply shorting the brown wire to the horn ring on the wheel with alligator clips.

Systematically speaking I have checked everything.
- Horn works on the bench with 6V
- 6V power at horn Black/yellow wire when connected direct to ground.
- Shorting horn wires (bypassing the horn) 6V at column base.
- 6V at top of column
- Intermittent 6v at steering wheel based on manipulation.
- Continuity to ground for the brown wire to the base of the steering box.

Maybe with the wheel on the column and under normal conditions the weight of your arms keeps that grounded and that is why it is not a normal trouble spot?

I am fine with the relay but want to understand this too.

in that thread and the only place i can positively effect either continuity or voltage is at the bearing based on how i manipulate the steering shaft in the bearing.

Glad to help. Very Happy

Contact in the horn itself, adjusted by the screw.

Is the 6 volts from a battery with load? Look at the thread, suggests the horn is current sensitive.

I use resistance to gain a better understanding.

If you think weight on the steering wheel affecting it, then test it. Wink

Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I believe this was the interior you were looking for

http://www.classicvws.com/interiors/material.php

Owned:
68,69,70,& 71
65 Standard Split
67 Bug
66 Fastback
68 Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

and this the tar boards??

https://www.classicvwbugs.com/classic-vintage-vw-v...ar-boards/

Owned:
68,69,70,& 71
65 Standard Split
67 Bug
66 Fastback
68 Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Käfer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

Sunroof. It is not smooth and hard to close. Going to snap the crank.

- Headliner panel. Padding too thick & 3M adhesive failed. Need to re-do
- Not enough grease on the cables. Added more.
- Crank end point not right. Going too far. Fixed that.
- Headliner material @ opening loose. (Again lousy adhesive) fixed that.

Much Better but no headliner panel in right now. I need to see if TMI sells that by itself as i really need to totally re-do it.

Hi Matthew,
at the time, my upholsterer "forbade" me to paint my ragtop parts with 1K paint (instead of 2K paint). He said that 1K paint could dissolve in connection with glue. I'm wondering if that can also be a possible cause for lousy adhesive in your case
Tim
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Sash_Bay wrote:
I believe this was the interior you were looking for

http://www.classicvws.com/interiors/material.php

Similar but unfortunately no. What they show there is cloth interior which is correct for non-deluxe 64's but i needed the deluxe Vinyl. Now, If you look at their 1964 link they have the correct vinyl but using the blue version of the material and not grey. That material was located or made some time ago and used to be sold by Alex at ISP West. That is what Lenny used for that particular VW.

Sash_Bay wrote:
and this the tar boards??

https://www.classicvwbugs.com/classic-vintage-vw-v...ar-boards/

Yes and no. VW used a few different suppliers. There was
- Flat board (What WW sells)
- Waffle board (What Chris Valone sells and linked)
- Diamond board. (What my VW had and not made by anyone)

My only way to Diamond was to find some good used and that has not panned out. In the end i went with WW as it was easiest to get.

[quote="Käfer2"]
matthew henricks wrote:

Hi Matthew,
at the time, my upholsterer "forbade" me to paint my ragtop parts with 1K paint (instead of 2K paint). He said that 1K paint could dissolve in connection with glue. I'm wondering if that can also be a possible cause for lousy adhesive in your case
Tim

Probably part of the problem but the main issue is the crapy 3M spray on adhesive i used. I really should have known better but so many YouTube videos showed using it... Never again. Contact cement next time and as your guy states 2K paint.

Parts i am looking for:
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew-
I've had good luck with Weldwood contact cement to reattach loose edges, etc. It's messy (stringy) and finicky (no do-overs, once it's stuck, it's stuck) but it works better than anything else I've tried.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 29

Jump to: