Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

+1 on the Weldwood contact cement recommendation, it's really good stuff.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew, this strange knocking is knocking in my head all the time. At my engine there are two sounds at the same time, a deep sound as coming from the case and a light sound as from the vlave train. In meanwhile I think, this could be a blocked oil passage. After a little bit driving, the knocking disappears as the oil is more fluid and passes the blockage, or came to the dry area through other ways.
As one is always concentrated on cleaning the case and its oil galleries (as possible) what isn't the easiest thing: Did you clean and blow out the passages of:
- the push rods?
- the rocker?
- the cam follower?

If your answer is "no", your first attempt might be not to pull the engine but to disassemble the rockershaft only and pulling the push rods to clean these passages. Correct setting for cylinder heads with round bosses but short studs is .004 as you stated above.

Even that I used an anaerob seal for the case, the first time I changed oil I had residue from this gasket in shape of little, hard pieces. I was concerned about it but also thinking, the mesh will hold these away from the galleries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Matthew-
I've had good luck with Weldwood contact cement to reattach loose edges, etc.

Thank you. That is what i used for my door panels after the mess with the 3M stuff on the headliner. Great stiff. Finicky and stringy but it sticks...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Matthew, this strange knocking is knocking in my head all the time...

: Did you clean and blow out the passages of:
- the push rods?
- the rocker?
- the cam follower?

Thank you pastellgreen. the answer to your question is yes. I cleaned and blew every part out... Sad

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I think i have been here before...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is good to have friends nearby. It is also re-assuring when you are chasing a noise that the friend tells you to "shut it down" as soon as you fire it up because they recognize the knock is not normal. Thank you Jimbo.

Not knowing what i would find lets start by draining the oil. Probably not a good thing to find metal in the oil... You don't need a microscope to see it but since i have one handy...

Well i guess we dig deeper then. I took it down to the short block looking for anything.

My unprofessional assessment is:

- Not that much metal in the oil. Other than the oil plate not much more.
- Nothing obviously loose or in wrong.
- All bolts tight.
- Rod bearings have deep scratches. Easily catch my fingernail.
- Driver side rod journals have a weird shadow at bottom end side.
- Pistons have some rubbing evidence. (Piston slap)
- #4 cylinder has some linear burnishing at bottom on one side.
- Nothing obvious at the heads or piston tops.
- More oil under the #1/#2 valve cover than the #3/#4. (This was the same the first oil change.

My first thought was piston slap but not sure.

Parts

#4 cylinder with burnishing. (the lines.)

Shadow on rod journal. #3 & #4 have this. #1 & #2 do not. The arc looking shadow. That is not lighting.

Wrist pin area. All are clean.

#4 rod bearing. Both sides scratched.

#3 & #4 pistons. Note the shine at the skirt.

Have not clea ned everything upyet. Have not split the case. Not really sure my next move and nothing so far is obvious.

for the record here is some info.
- As parts stated new or rebuilt and all parts cleaned.
- New P&C's. (83mm)
- Rebuild rods & polished crank
- Rebuild lifters. Stock used cam.
- All bearings were new and all were plasti-gaged at assy.
- Case was NOT Align-bored. Journals were clean.
- Cam bearings added.
- All oil passages cleaned and blown out. All case passages too.
- New oil Pump.
- Initial break-in was a few short runs to get it running then 20-30 min at moderate RPM. Ran smooth and no knock.
- Oil was changed soon after.
- Flooded engine with 1 gal gas. Sat for a week that way. Tried to start it before i discovered it. Gas leaking out heads and exhaust.
- Drained engine and replaced oil. Engine ran "fine" but knock came soon after.
- Re-torqued all bolts at this time. Nothing really loose. Head bolts did take more torque but nothing crazy.
- Probably less than 20 min running after engine flood. I want to say the knock comes and goes but it really does not. To me it was very clear on #3/4 side. (Drivers)
- Pulling each plug wire while idling did not clearly make knock come or go.

Parts i am looking for:
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew-
Did you check the rods for play on the crank before you disassembled? The only thing that comes to mind is the gas leak washed the oil off the bearing surfaces when you tried to run it and scored the bearings and cylinders. What do the cam lobes and lifters look like? Have you checked the end play? I realize everything was new or rebuilt but since you're down to the short block now might as well check 'em all.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Matthew-
Did you check the rods for play on the crank before you disassembled?

Yes. I specifically check that as well as the pistons. Nothing noticeable other than the normal axial play. I also checked them for free rotation since one was sticky initially and they all were free.

tcoop1100 wrote:
The only thing that comes to mind is the gas leak washed the oil off the bearing surfaces when you tried to run it and scored the bearings and cylinders. What do the cam lobes and lifters look like?

Have not split the case but the lifters show two circles on them. One the stock grind from rebuild and the other the obvious cam "wear". Can't tell any more till i get the case split.

tcoop1100 wrote:
Have you checked the end play?
We did prior to tear down. It was correct. Now with the shims out the crank spins freely by hand.

tcoop1100 wrote:
I realize everything was new or rebuilt but since you're down to the short block now might as well check 'em all.

Yup. I want to flush it anyways from the metal that i did find and look at those shadows on the crank a little better.

Parts i am looking for:
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I hope you figure it out. It drives me nuts when there's a problem and no obvious source.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
I hope you figure it out. It drives me nuts when there's a problem and no obvious source.

Thank you Tcoop. One good thing about this problem is that money can solve it in the end. It is the quest that is frustrating.

After talking with a few others i am focusing on this image.

The noise was coming from #3/#4 side and both rod journals on that side have these shadows. #3 is at BDC and #4 is at TDC. Exactly where you would find evidence if you had a rod knock.

Splitting the case is next and mic things out.

It is also more than possible that when i measure things out i made an error. This is after all amateur hour.

IMO i am heading for a crank grind and probably an align-bore at the same time. That is one area i did NOT do when i built the motor as i did not think it was needed.

The search continues...

Parts i am looking for:
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Is your case bored for cam bearings? If not, something else to consider if you do have it line bored. You might check the lash between the crank and cam gears, too. Easy to do- hold the crank still with one hand and move the cam gear back and forth. If you hear a small "clink-clink" or get no movement you're probably OK. If you get a "clunk-clunk" you probably have too much and may need a + or - gear to get it right. Spec is 0 to .002". Look at the wear on the gears, too- if present on the cam gear that would be a good indicator of too little play.
Sounds like you're onto something with that 3-4 side.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Is your case bored for cam bearings? If not, something else to consider if you do have it line bored.

Yes. That was done.

tcoop1100 wrote:
You might check the lash between the crank and cam gears, too. Easy to do- hold the crank still with one hand and move the cam gear back and forth. If you hear a small "clink-clink" or get no movement you're probably OK. If you get a "clunk-clunk" you probably have too much and may need a + or - gear to get it right. Spec is 0 to .002". Look at the wear on the gears, too- if present on the cam gear that would be a good indicator of too little play.

Thank you. For sure the cam gear to crank is good as i put a new one on. I did not check the lash between the cam gear and cam though. Will double check that.

tcoop1100 wrote:
Sounds like you're onto something with that 3-4 side.

my only glue so far. Will follow it till i find something better.

Parts i am looking for:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Let me be the first to announce to TheSamba that I'm an idiot. I did not listen to others. I though i was better. I was young. I was cocky. I took on the world and the world just spit me out. Smile

My engine was a time bomb. I figured out that the knock was the #3 and/or #4 rod and it was due to the bearing wear.

I split the case this week and found a complete mess of sludge in the bottom of the case. It was like i never cleaned it. Worse though EVERY SINGLE BEARING SURFACE looks like it was sanded with 80 grit sand paper. Talk about depressing. The engine has one hour on it. Main bearings, rod bearings, Rod and crank journals, cam lobs and cam shanks are shot.

OK.... Why is the question. If you read this thread you know i cleaned everything including the oil galleys. So being the geek i am let's find out what is in my sludge.

I took about four swipes of sludge with my finger and put it inside a tea bag. I dipped that in mineral spirits like i was steeping tea to get rid of the oil. From there i then dipped it into Acetone to dissolve the mineral spirits. What is left are the solid compounds of the sludge. Lets just say that if you needed to do some aggressive sanding this is the aggregate you would use.

We have Steel, Aluminum, Magnesium, Soda, rock and other unidentified stuff. Sigh...

This is where the idiot raises his hand and says "Why yes. Yes i did that!".

If you read this thread you will know i soda blasted the case. Well... That there was my error. My blast cabinet undoubtable had some left over aggregate and even though i cleaned everything what i did was salt the walls of my case with sand paper aggregate. The illusion of clean was a house of cards. I am sure the heat and gas flooding freed it all up to tear the engine apart. It would have happened anyways but the flooding accelerated it all.

Sooo.... Where to go from here.
- Part of me wants to be done and buy a 40HP long block.
- Part of me wants to find a used engine and clean it up.
- Part of me says get back on that horse.
- Most of me says to do the first to get going and the last as a spare engine.

I am looking for a new case or rebuildable long short block. Any leads in So. Cal? Ideally an early 64 number but at this point i don't care so much. Round hole or D hole case is fine.

Here is my plan.
- New case. Align bore and cam bearings i am sure will be needed.
- Re-grind this crank.
- Replace lifters and all bearings
- Clean and inspect cam, rods, lifters, heads etc. Take it all apart again. Replace if needed.

If you need me ill be in the closet crying.

Parts i am looking for:
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Wow, very unfortunate, but luckily was can all learn from your error…!
Sorry you had to pay the price. Crying or Very sad
cricketseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

That's a bummer. This is exactly the kind of thing I would have done, except I would have never had the gumption in the first place to get as far with the overall project as you have. I'd say listen to the part of you that says get back on that horse. You've done this once; you can do it again. My two cents.
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I agree with Cricket. Having come this far on your own I don't think you'll be happy with a used engine or a new longblock built by someone else. Mount up!
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Man, you're doing stuff on engines I've never even dreamed of, making mistakes I'll be lucky to have the opportunity to make at some point in the future. Keep up the good work, and remember, some of the most successful people fail innumerable times before succeeding. You're in good company.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you all for the encouragement. I have started the process of the re-build. It's just money...

Over the weekend we figured out:
- Case is..... See below.
- P&C's are shot
- Rods are shot
- All bearings shot
- Crank can be re-ground
- Lifters are shot
- Everything else is OK but i will also replace the pushrod tubes.

The key question i have not answered is if i will re-use the case. My gut says no since i cannot explain the sludge right now.

My secondary question is why don't want to use a newer case. Why does that stupid number and "D" oil fill hole bother me so much.... (I am seeing my therapist soon Smile )

If anyone has a lead in So. Cal on a good case let me know. I am already working my way through all TheSamba Adds but maybe there is something local not listed.

In the meantime i also got the new sunroof headliner panel from WW to do over again.

Parts i am looking for:
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Matthew-
I don't think there's any reason you couldn't use your current case, with one caveat- I would remove the oil gallery plugs, have them tapped for NPT plugs, and then scrub the hell out of everything with bore brushes after any necessary machine work is done. That would help ensure everything is as clean as possible.
Even if you decide to replace the case it would still be worthwhile to have that done, especially since any case you might find will probably have a lot of miles on it. Lots of places in there for stuff to hide. Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I thought that I had mentioned that I may have a case, when I saw you on Sunday. I will go through the cases I have on hand. I think that I have a round hole and a D hole case. I will hit you up on Saturday.

Did you get to play with the Porta tool?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

tcoop1100 wrote:
Matthew-
I don't think there's any reason you couldn't use your current case, with one caveat- I would remove the oil gallery plugs, have them tapped for NPT plugs, and then scrub the hell out of everything with bore brushes after any necessary machine work is done. That would help ensure everything is as clean as possible.

Thank you. The frustrating part is i did all that... For the life of me i cannot figure out where i did not clean but i am going to do it again....

I started a thread on the Engine Performance form about my theory that i "salted" my case when i blasted it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=776875

That theory does not sound like it is the case and more likely i just missed a pocket of debris. They also doubt i have found my knock source yet.

Hmmm....

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I thought that I had mentioned that I may have a case, when I saw you on Sunday.

Must have slipped your mind. Let me know.

One way or another a new case is needed for this engine or my back-up. No time to play with the tool yet. Probably a little this weekend but nothing serious until i set in motion my direction for a case. One way or another i will learn to use that super cool paper weight!

This week my focus is:
- Get crank to shop for grind. Going to DPR today.
- Get new lifters and pushrod tubes. Berg.
- Decide what to do with rods. The grind we looked at is normal for 40HP. Mine may be OK after all.
- Decide how to clean whatever case i end up with.... Again.....
- Decide on a full flow system for engine start-up. I think i have a old remote filter one. Just need a blocked off pump.
- Pull heads apart and clean.
- Purchase new 83mm P&C's. Going with AA.

Maybe by end Feb i am ready to try this again...

Parts i am looking for:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 29

Jump to: