Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What needs to be replaced when swapping crank?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

I have a stock 69mm German crank in my motor now. I have a counter weighted 69mm DPR crank on my work bench.
Current motor runs perfect, and doesn't have anywhere near enough miles for a full rebuild.
Besides maybe new bearings to accept the c/w crank (I don't know if it's been ground yet), what do I need to replace to tear the motor down and build it back up with the c/w crank? Maybe just make sure the lifters and pistons don't switch spots with one another, and a new gasket set?

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

If your current engine runs perfect then why on earth do you want to tear it apart just to replace the crank? What do you expect to gain?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
If your current engine runs perfect then why on earth do you want to tear it apart just to replace the crank? What do you expect to gain?

A couple thousand more RPM...safely

Side note...I never had my stock crank balanced Embarassed

Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

I have turned stock cranks past 7k without any problems

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

Note that the OP said he never had it professionally balanced.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

Coyotemutt wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Note that the OP said he never had it professionally balanced.

So it is good to 6k in stock balance. Factory german cranks are extremely rigid.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

Can anyone answer the question without using a question or trying to give reasons not to do it?

Shocked

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

Most of it is common sense but I think I know what you are looking for.
Be careful any time you change the relationship between the piston and cylinder. The rings are used to stopping at the top at exactly the same spot and if you alter the crank or rod or cylinder then you may change that and it may cause ring sealing problems, or it might not......actually it probably won't in this case, but it can happen.
Engines in general, some people just go ahead and make it a practice to hone and re-ring every time the engine is apart and something changed that could have changed the piston to cylinder relationship, probably because they learned the hard way Shocked
If you replace a crank with a different one and the stroke is just slightly longer (which could happen easily) and the piston tries to go that much farther up the cylinder.....runs into the ridge at the top, breaks the ring lands... or screws up the ring, or it doesen't seal.

But VW engines they don't usually develop much ridge if any, unless they are REALLY old. So, yeah things can go wrong but if it's low miles it's probably fine, tho one rule is it's a lot safer to have the piston lower in the bore than before, rather than higher, but when you re-grind a crank the tendency is for the stroke to increase, which is why most replacement pistons have the rings slightly lower than OE.
You could measure the deck height before and after and see if it changed. most times if a guy is swapping the crank it's because it's ruined a rod bearing, so....you can't measure what it was before.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

You should get a bunch of washers of different thicknesses to have everything on hand, as you'll need to re-set the crank end play.

What Modok says: I would hone and re-ring.

And of course, make sure of inside clearances, C/W cranks need checking this; don't take it for granted that nothing in there touches...even just stock stroke.

P.S. do you have a flywheel balanced with the new, C/W crank? Clutch PP? New disc? Going to run 4 dowels or 8?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

I don't think you have to re-hone, but it might be smart.
One thing BRAND NEW pressure plates, and cylinders, and heads, and flywheels, and brakes.... have in common is they warp a bit when subjected to the actual heat and forces they handle in service. No way to simulate it before the fact.
So if you run them for a while, then they are "seasoned", so you machine seasoned parts, they will tend to stay straight after that, better than if they were brand spanking new.

But, should you you re-hone every time you take the engine apart?
no, of course not.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

Thank you modok and FreeBug for the informative replies.

Shocked

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
. . . what do I need to replace to tear the motor down and build it back up with the c/w crank?

Tip . . . Be careful with your brass gear!
Do NOT remove your distributor until after you split the case and use care (or watch the guy that does it for ya!) when removing the gear/spacer/bearing from the crank.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

Quote:
Do NOT remove your distributor until after you split the case

There is no risk in removing the dist. That doesnt make any sense, unless you misspoke
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:

There is no risk in removing the dist. That doesnt make any sense, unless you misspoke

Once the distributor is out, you can damage the bronze gear quite easily, when turning the engine over, and you might turn the engine over to get the right bits in the right place during disassembly...is what I think he meant Smile .
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:

Once the distributor is out, you can damage the bronze gear quite easily, when turning the engine over, and you might turn the engine over to get the right bits in the right place during disassembly...is what I think he meant Smile .

Yes . . . thank you FreeBug . . . that's what I was getting at.
I should have said . . . Do NOT remove yer distributor unless you ALSO remove the distributor drive and spacer washers before turning the crankshaft.
Some folks set the distributor drive timing on the new crankshaft while the case is apart . . . the distributor could just stay in place for the duration.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

Your wife told me today about the loss of your little red beetle. Hope every one came out ok. Also hope you got a fair settlement. Any pics you would care to share?[you know how we are]
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

Aw, crap, sorry to hear that.. Been there.

I hope you didn't change that crank...
dennismcd707 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
One thing BRAND NEW pressure plates, and cylinders, and heads, and flywheels, and brakes.... have in common is they warp a bit when subjected to the actual heat and forces they handle in service. No way to simulate it before the fact.
So if you run them for a while, then they are "seasoned", so you machine seasoned parts, they will tend to stay straight after that, better than if they were brand spanking new.

Am I understanding this correctly? I have a brand new pressure plate, so I should use it and season it first, then take it in for balancing? How much seasoning does it need before it can safely be machined (balanced)?

IMO..........I'd leave the crank alone! If you really want to find a good place for that other crank, save up and just build yourself an engine. The right way.
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What needs to be replaced when swapping crank? Reply with quote

No, run it for awhile then grind the face flat again.
I have tried many brands, and they all get to be about .002-.004 dished, and usually .001-.002 runout in a triangle shape, which can cause some chatter.

I do not know if the balance will change, hopefully not.
Good pressure plates are already balanced, and...if they are "good" or not.....I don't want to get into that subject.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: