Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight"
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

The ragtop vinyl cover to my 1959 bug appears to be much too tight. It is very difficult to completely close the Golde handle (through the second 90 degrees of rotation) and the vertical flat area that the hook engages tends to flex noticeably. The rear end ragtop cover bolts are all the way forward in their slots.

Some background: this is a ~30-year old ragtop cover that has been off of the car for the better part of ~2 years; changed the sliders/etc during that period; does not improve when sitting in the sun for a few hours.

This is essentially the same setup that worked fine in the past.

Ideas?

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

Sounds like the material has shrunk. I'd say your options are to either try to stretch it back out using heat and tension, replace the ragtop cover, or elongate the adjustment holes.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

I guess some of this depends on how/where the cover was stored. Vinyl has plasticizers in it that give it some elasticity and allow it to remain flexible but they don't last forever. Old vinyl can become stiff and un-yielding as it ages. Could be that your cover has lost some of its ability to stretch while it's been off the car.

I assume that the middle bow is sliding freely in the tracks and not jamming due to being pulled un-evenly. Are the two straps that pull the middle bow still in place? They can be seen here in this pic from the gallery ↓

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For reference, my '63's ragtop cover (same style w/rounded corners like yours, only canvas) measures exactly 43 3/8" front-to-back on the car when closed.

Unless the color's impossible to duplicate now, why not just get a new vinyl cover? Or better yet, get one made of stayfast canvas. If you keep putting that much stress on your cover, it'll eventually split a seam anyway.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

Even though the straps had been missing since before I bought the car back in ~1979, I do remember having to "help" the middle bow move forward when closing the top, undoubtedly due to the lack of straps. I always wondered what those little fabric remnants were for (about 1" square or so). Vinyl is in surprisingly good condition (no cracks/rips/tears).

So, I took all nuts off of the rear bow to release any front/back tension and still hard to turn handle (but slightly less than the "original 90 degrees). Next, I took the entire cover/assembly off, laid it on my couch, and handle still hard to turn (need both hands last 30 degrees or so. It appears that this occurs when the front bow tries to "sit down" onto the roof to seal against leaks.

As I may have previously mentioned, I had replaced the horizontal sliders and white wheels on both sides with replacement parts from Wolfsburg West. All are seated properly.

Now, before rotating the handle, I can slide my fingers all the way around the front/both sides between the two pieces of the front bow that clamp together, leaving a slight even space remaining.

So, it may just be that the internal guts of the handle mechanism requires some lubricant. I plan to have a light grey Wolfsburg West fabric headliner installed soon and don't want the lubricant to drip down onto it on hot days.

Any suggestions on lubricant?

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

Anybody?

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:

Super Lube, a synthetic PTFE based grease, will work well for lubricating the latch mechanism. Its max operating temp is 450°F, so it won't run or drip down onto your headliner, even on the warmest of days.

Available from Grainger
https://www.grainger.com/product/44N719?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL

Probably a good time to replace those pull straps while your sunroof frame is apart too.

They were originally made of a woven fabric and tended to rot out fairly quickly. A 1/2" wide nylon pet leash makes a good substitute for the original material. The two pieces are pop-riveted to the trailing arms attached to the front locking header and sandwiched between two pieces of the middle bow assembly. They'll help avoid tears by keeping the sunroof cover and headliner from having to pull the middle bow into position while closing the roof. They also help to keep the middle bow parallel with the front locking header to avoid jams as the roof is being closed.

You can see how the straps attach in these photos from the gallery ↓

If you make up your own nylon straps, use a small flame to fuse the cut edges and holes to keep the material from fraying. I believe that the straps are each about 13" long
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

I agree on the grease. It will take only a small amount. It is high-temp, so it should never run. I used "Magnalube" from McMaster-Carr . . . It too has PTFE . . . might be very similar.

rcooled wrote:
I believe that the straps are each about 13" long

When I made those straps, I measured for the straps with the mechinasm installed . . . I made sure that the ends of the bow are centered in the sunroof cover's slits . . . I did not want the bow to be pulling on the cover at the end of the slits thereby possibly tearing the slits.

BTW . . . there's a few more photos of the ragtop assembly in my photos . . . see page 2 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=57BLITZ
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info. Ordered the Super Lube and will pick up from Riverside CA Grainger today.

Appreciate the strap info, in that I'll go buy a leash, and give it and the printout of this thread to my headliner installer, along with the interior parts I need him to install.

Will let you know how the lube works...

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
Next, I took the entire cover/assembly off, laid it on my couch, and handle still hard to turn (need both hands last 30 degrees or so.

This does not sound good . . . straps or no straps!
Off the car, that handle should turn the full 180 degrees without effort!
Check for worn/bent/rusted/seized parts after you isolate the problem area . . . some disassembly might be in order to pinpoint the location of the resistance.
The first thing to check (if you have not done so already) are the two special pivot screws . . . the ones that connect the top bow to the locking mechanism.
See #3 below in this photo from TheSamba Gallery . . .

catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

Picked up the Super Lube after making some home brew yesterday.

I don't recall taking the assembly apart, but I could have...

Will check the pivot screws/parts/lube and report back later today.

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

It simply needed a mechanism lube job. Used Q-tips to install PTFE-based Super Lube to central rotating mechanism, twisted horizontal bar, and vertical slider surfaces.

Installed and works like it did for the previous ~30 some-odd years!

Found a nylon dog long-line that had been chewed through, which I'll give to the headliner installer to fashion the straps.

Hope to have interior and set-aside parts completed during July, and FINALLY be driving the Mango regularly for the first time since my nephew ran it into a tree in 2008 while I was teaching him how to drive stick...

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 bug ragtop vinyl cover "too tight" Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
catahoula lou wrote:

Super Lube, a synthetic PTFE based grease, will work well for lubricating the latch mechanism. Its max operating temp is 450°F, so it won't run or drip down onto your headliner, even on the warmest of days.

Available from Grainger
https://www.grainger.com/product/44N719?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL

Probably a good time to replace those pull straps while your sunroof frame is apart too.

They were originally made of a woven fabric and tended to rot out fairly quickly. A 1/2" wide nylon pet leash makes a good substitute for the original material. The two pieces are pop-riveted to the trailing arms attached to the front locking header and sandwiched between two pieces of the middle bow assembly. They'll help avoid tears by keeping the sunroof cover and headliner from having to pull the middle bow into position while closing the roof. They also help to keep the middle bow parallel with the front locking header to avoid jams as the roof is being closed.

You can see how the straps attach in these photos from the gallery ↓

If you make up your own nylon straps, use a small flame to fuse the cut edges and holes to keep the material from fraying. I believe that the straps are each about 13" long

There is a thread on here somewhere that notes the strap rivet points are 12" apart when the roof is closed. I just took a tape to my closed top, and 12" looks spot on. To be sure, get the top frame back on the car, close it with no top, and measure between the attachment points then mark the straps before you mount them.
The straps were long gone when I got the car, just the stub ends still attached. Without the straps, the top has to act as the device that guides the mechanism
The entire ragtop section of the manual is posted in my gallery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: