Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I did not catch this earlier... Question I thought the heat dump tubes were 1978 only. My 1977 and 1973 do not have them, anyway. My '78 does, so can someone clue me in on this?

That's my bad. While removing the engine the right flapper box fell down, hit the floor, and the little spring between the flaps broke free. It looked hard to repair, so I just used a later one I had around, with intent to find a correct one later. The 75' had no heat dump tubes.

I also replaced the asbestos cuffs with the new gray rubber ones.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
I am pretty sure that cleat you inquired about was to secure the Westy stool. Not the between the seats storage box but an actual stool that they came with. Judging by the looks of the bottom of that heater box it appears as though the PO decided to go over a large rock he shouldn’t have. My guess is the heat dump tube got mangled and rather than fix it or replace it he just removed it. You are also missing the uber important bracket-hanger for the rear of the heater box.

I'll buy that, it could be that that cleat was for the stool, which this bus didn't come with. I believe Canadian 75's got the box, US ones got the stool? Or maybe this one had the stool upgraded to the box, being sort of a bespoke outfitted bus.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Try sitting your dash table on those cleats on the side of the fridge and sink cabinets Wink

No, not those plastic support bars. The secondary table slides in there. There's a cleat like the ones between the front seats that hold the storage box, but back on the side of the fridge. It's about 2 inches too high up to hold the straps of the box. Hoody suggested it would have held in the not included Westy stool?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Try sitting your dash table on those cleats on the side of the fridge and sink cabinets Wink

No, not those plastic support bars. The secondary table slides in there. There's a cleat like the ones between the front seats that hold the storage box, but back on the side of the fridge. It's about 2 inches too high up to hold the straps of the box. Hoody suggested it would have held in the not included Westy stool?

Correct, that one is the stool cleat, I guess they put them on all the cabinets regardless of the trim level of the camper it was going into.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
Tcash wrote:
I would be interested to see the Inspection markings.
Assembly Line Paint Markins White stamped Grease pen Markings
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688216&highlight=paint+mark%2A

Popcorn
Tcash

Yea, you saw the ones on the tin, I'll have to take a look behind the wheel for that one. Any others? Isn't there a VIN marking somewhere in the undercarriage?

IIRC the VIN is stamped on the right frame rail.

There should also be some inspection markings in the headlight housings.

Thank you
Tcash
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Amazing!!! Mine is 9/74, and has at least 384K miles, assuming it had turned the odometer over once when I bought it. It was sold here in E. Tenn. in 4/75 the same week Saigon fell and "Jaws" was released upon the world.

Since it had the original motor with a #3 rod inspection port in the block riding where the middle seat should have been, another worn-out motor, and tranny, in back, and radio stations out west written on the back of the owner's manual, it is safe to say it has WELL over half a million miles. I even have the original Sapphire radio. My Dad's '75 had the factory 8-track back in the day.

We're ready to log many more miles in the near future. The front end needs the TCash treatment; I admired your work in Clatter's excellent thread sir.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Also the transport Canada vin sticker on the door jamb. Definitely a Canadian bus. Luckily it doesn't look like it's seen a Canadian winter.

The underside pics look at least 139K to my eyes, but I can see how some road salt not getting washed off before storage would do that with only 39K.
Either way, she's a beauty.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
I don't know if the headlight mod was a PO, factory, or dealer upgrade, but it's for the H4 headlights which I suspect were installed when the bus was in Germany in 1975, since they were legal and available in Europe.

I expect that this is exactly what this is for. What does that wire go to inside the headlight bucket?

I have four wires into the bucket on my euro-spec Mexican pickup, and this fourth (gray) wire, which is part of the original wiring harness, is indeed for the city light bulb that lives inside each headlight. Took me about 18 months to figure that out, get proper headlights with the city light feature, and the mounting rig for the city lights. Now mine is all done, and the city lights come on when the parking lights are on. You might check for power on that wire when the parking lights are on. If you want to restore that functionality, you can PM me.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

...aaaaand queue the offer from Notchboy Wink
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
rusty busty wrote:
Also the transport Canada vin sticker on the door jamb. Definitely a Canadian bus. Luckily it doesn't look like it's seen a Canadian winter.

The underside pics look at least 139K to my eyes, but I can see how some road salt not getting washed off before storage would do that with only 39K.
Either way, she's a beauty.

Interior and provenance strongly support 39k
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Regarding the 1975 early 1976 preheat duct: Pretty sure I've seen some of those around offered for sale. I guess when they made the first upgrade on the AFM, they figured they could get by without preheat, but preheat is always a good idea. I figured I'd retrofit it to my dream car. I might have one. If I stumble into it, I'll PM.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning Bus you found. I’m so glad someone like you purchased her and respects her! Thank you for sharing these photos.

The important question no one asked yet was, which Bus do the kids prefer?!?! Laughing

—Brother Chuck

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the 1975 1.8 bus engine was the same spec as the 914 with 1.8. It had the bigger ports, valves and cam. the hp rating was 68 or 70. So it virtually had the same hp as the 2 liter but a little higher final drive, so it might be a little noisier but a little more acceleration as well. (ALWAYS GOOD!)
And I love the colors offered in 1974 and 75, especially the orange.
So this 1975 Orange is about my favorite late Westy. Well, maybe with the LP gas stove, but Colemans are okay, too.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Well, it's time to pass her on. Here's the ad: www.oldbug.com/janos

And here's a video inspection. Sorry it's a little "newbie oriented".

Link

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Outstanding specimen. Love the video!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: