Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Holy Shiitake!!!
This makes me proud to be a fellow Brilliant Orange bus owner, 03/74. I found mine fairly complete, but no where even close to this baby, very nice find man.
Where is the stove above the refrigerator?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

M 113 Admittance plate for Canada

The only thing I can find. Is that it came on Type 21-23.
Don't know what it is?
Maybe after busdaddy gets back from counting his penny's to make you an offer. He will have something.

Good luck
Tcash
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
M 113 Admittance plate for Canada

The only thing I can find. Is that it came on Type 21-23.
Don't know what it is?
Maybe after busdaddy gets back from counting his penny's to make you an offer. He will have something.

Good luck
Tcash

Laughing Laughing Laughing
At least it would go to a good Canuck...

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:

I just posted a close up of the radio above, I'd love to know more about it. Since there's an "admittance plate for Canada" M-code (see birth certificate), do you think it's a Canadian radio?

Agree on the tires! Till then, she just takes us to the neighborhood pool ;o)

I believe that's a Blaupunkt.
Possibly something from their "Emden" line but don't quote me on that.

As far as I know, Canada also used AM and FM labeled radios and generally speaking, L, M, and U bands were a German or European thing.
Maybe someone from the other side of the Atlantic will chime in...
Regardless, it's definitely a period correct unit for that bus and clearly belongs in it.

The Kamei package trays were an aftermarket thing that a few dealers also sold as far as I know. What's odd though is that you only have one. Usually they came in pairs. The driver's side one limits some access to the fuse box though so maybe it was removed at some point if it was ever there...
It's too dark outside now to go look at mine but the door side bracket on yours doesn't look right. I don't think they're supposed to go through the fishnet side.

Absolutely incredible bus though !
I'm more and more jealous with every pic you post Very Happy

Schwing wrote:
Bondo is like make-up, it fools the eye from the ugly truth
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Look for a tag on the top and side of the radio like this.
Note this is a Hamburg
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

It'll likely be on the M plate (bet that's drool worthy itself), or if the sticker is still on it that may help, there's a catalogue somewhere in the archives with all the factory option radios as well. I don't think it's a Canada only deal (we use AM/FM), looks like one that was installed before it got on the boat, that's a spendy option.
My 72 came with a passenger only Kamei tray as well, no evidence of there ever being one on the left side.

So...., we have to talk about that muffler....... Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

So if you think this near mint beauty is worth selling because you have a 78 that will be your forever bus, then Id imagine that thing has to be near perfection!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Interesting. A US and CAN mix options, California dealer.

Get the provenance from the owner now before they pass.

No way I would sell this now, Bays in this condition will appreciate. Those little monkeys need 10years of #familyBaylife to look back on.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Wow, congrats on your excellent find! Thanks a lot for posting the pictures.

I guess picture IMG_5144.JPG (*) settles the discussion on which way round the air filter box grommet goes Smile

noneed wrote:
I believe that's a Blaupunkt.
Possibly something from their "Emden" line but don't quote me on that.

As far as I know, Canada also used AM and FM labeled radios and generally speaking, L, M, and U bands were a German or European thing.
Maybe someone from the other side of the Atlantic will chime in...
Regardless, it's definitely a period correct unit for that bus and clearly belongs in it.

Not an expert, but having a vintage radio too, I did some research on them a while ago. It does look like Blaupunkt's Emden G, from 1975. But as others have already said, you can tell for sure looking at its sticker behind the dash.

M is shorthand for MW (Mittelwelle) in German, which is the Medium Wave band (AM radio) in English.
U is shorthand for UKW (Ultrakurzwelle) in German, which is the Ultra Small Wave (aka VHF) band (FM radio) in English.

I believe the L, M and U markings were a German-only thing. Other countries in Europe used the AM/FM nomenclature.

As you probably have already figured out, with the buttons you can store two AM and three FM radio stations.

(*) it doesn't embed on forum posts from Dropbox

Decode your M-Plate
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Thankfully this fell into good hands. Congratulations and thanks for sharing those great pics.

Judging by the Cobb tag and Stone Mountain camping I’m guessing you’re in the Atlanta area.

Please bring this to Caffeine and Octane, folks will go nuts. And, my son and I would absolutely love to see it.

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

My God. It's full of stars.....
that is one craze OG bus! That sad thing is, all I can think is "get it out of the sun!"
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
It requires some finesse, because you shift it left as you lift on its special hinge, to avoid hitting the door paneling.

Please be careful when the lid is in the upright position like that. The lid can fall down easily, and if it does, the corner of the lid will catch on the corner of the lower part, and can (will) break the front of the lid off.

I find it interesting that it has a lot the hard to find doo-dads and upgrades, yet doesn't have the stove in the icebox/refrigerator unit.

Very nice bus, hope to see it at some regional shows.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Just... wow. A time capsule indeed.

Get that thing back into a garage or something, now! Do not let it sit outside in the sun and rain and treesap. Ideally, this would be in a museum, or a VW showroom, or something. It should be preserved.

I agree with the sentiment that you are the current caretaker, or custodian, of this rare piece. That's how I feel about my buses.

I have a similar radio in the '75 single cab. Mine was spec'd on the M-codes as a Blaupunkt Ingolstadt, and I managed to source one from Germany. It also has the MMMUU buttons.

And... about the low mileage. I wonder how many of these there are. I just sold a 1972 Sportsmobile with 55,000 miles on it, and while it was nice and had a lot of original stuff on it, it was not factory fresh like the one you have there. It sat out in the sun for years, and it shows.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Very nice bus indeed! If it's s Canadian spec westy that would explain why there's no stove or propane tank. We didn't get to play with that stuff until the 80's up here.
My bus has less than 80,000 km and is very original, but it's sat in the sun for years and it shows. Definitely keep that beauty inside.
The unfortunate part is that it's too nice to use for camping or other bus type activities.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Pretty neat bus! Gorgeous.

I especially like the front carpet, for some reason I’m a sucker for clean interiors.

I like what you’ve done. Sounds like a bunch of stuff was gently refreshed, care to show us what she looked like when it was pulled from the garage?
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

No affiliation, but here is a similar bus on ATL craigslist for anyone drooling over the OP's...

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/1974-vw-westfalia-camper-van/6616709898.html
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
No affiliation, but here is a similar bus on ATL craigslist for anyone drooling over the OP's...

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/1974-vw-westfalia-camper-van/6616709898.html

$20,000 and title status:Missing

There is another thread for that..

Laughing
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
title status:Missing

There is another thread for that..

Laughing

Actually, that’s not an issue, for Georgia cars at least. They didn’t issue titles back then, and one can’t be generated, as I tried when I bought this. For old cars, they do a VIN background check for liens and stolen/salvage issues, and if it’s clean, they register and tag it. If I were to move (or sell it to someone) in a state where they do title old cars, my GA registration and a bill of sale would suffice to generate one. Done this several times.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
So...., we have to talk about that muffler....... Confused

I know, I know. That EMPI thing, tragic. One of only two dumb PO decisions made, the other was a carelessly installed spare tire mount.

But man, sourcing the “uber rare” correct crossover pipe with that preheater shroud is impossible (I know of one and it’s traveling through the Midwest right now) and building a complete OG 76-78 muffler setup would be really expensive and still incorrect, so what to do?

P.S. I did feel compelled to paint the gravel guard, the only rusty thing found on the car!
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

The “aw shit” factor is way up on this one.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: