Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Where is the stove above the refrigerator?

Doesn’t have one and never did, the inside of that cabinet doesn’t have a scratch. Weird because it’s a deluxe, but also doesn’t have the three opening top canvas. Someone suggested Canadian buses didn’t get a stove. This was a USA bound bus, but seems to have some mix of Euro/Can options.

Can you post a pic of your stove?
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Just... wow. A time capsule indeed.

Get that thing back into a garage or something, now! Do not let it sit outside in the sun and rain and treesap. Ideally, this would be in a museum, or a VW showroom, or something. It should be preserved.

Well, thank you! And believe me, she’s kept tucked away ;o) Part of the problem is my 78’ has been kicked out into the driveway, and it’s more than earned its keep.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

More engine pics please!
Curious as to where that (fugly) silver heater/preheater hose is going.
Do you need this part? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2188331
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
More engine pics please!
Curious as to where that (fugly) silver heater/preheater hose is going.
Do you need this part? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2188331

No it has that, but it doesn’t have the original “Uber rare” 75 crossover tube with preheat shroud that it would connect to from the underside of the left tin. The silver tube was there when I bought it (originally would have been a black paper one?) and it’s going to the correct location on the right rear tin. But again, it’s going nowhere from under the tin since the preheat shroud is not there.

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Cool. More engine pics though......
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

at least the muffler is old empi, and not new empi.
From that era, it might not be total crap.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Very nice survivor! Very weird options. Almost like a Tourister Package Think

Thats part of what I love about these is the mystery. Cool

Want to sell that yellow pail, I need one badly for my 74 project?

Have you seen this?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Awesome find.

So interesting -- I found my pristine '73 in Atlanta as well (Alpharetta). One owner, bought new, garaged for 28 years.

Seems there are some Georgia Peaches out there still!

Congrats, beautiful example.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Good gawd, man!

You just made my day. PM sent!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Put a 53 on it and call it Herbie Bus..
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Put a 53 on it and call it Herbie Bus..

No no, it's orange. Do what the po of my 73 did.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just kidding don't do that. Don't do that at all.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Gorgeous.

Yes, to confirm, Canada bound buses (even deluxes) had no propane stoves due to regulations, so that is likely why that was not included. It seems like a ship to US but known that it was intended to be headed to Canada.

Also, my guess on the radio is that maybe in 1975 since AM/FM's were pretty rare, they put in a German one because they were not able to get a US/Europe one in a timely manner - just a guess.

Love to see original stock like this....
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Three questions:

1) Did this model year come with the white tassels along the top front edge of the pop-top?

2) What year was the battery charger timer panel introduced?

3) Would it be sacrilege to install the combination two burner stove and sink?
appetite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Just lovely. Cograts!
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Amazing bus!
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm with Notchboy, on it being an tourist program "built" type of bus... that somehow showed up in the USA, for its first sell at a dealership..
Wouldn't it have a RV sticker/tag on it, even with only shore power??? UL approved and all.... If it was ment to be sold in the U.S. destination first??
But, any way you look at it, that sure is one nice bus. With a few mysteries to boot.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
This was a USA bound bus, but seems to have some mix of Euro/Can options.

Nope.

Canada, St Johns NB
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Wow. Just wow.
Great job you've done and thanks for sharing!
That's the mother of all dilemmas you've got as to what to do with the bus (eventually!) I really appreciate your sympathetic touch so far!
Looking forward to engine pics and to see the state it was when you first saw it.
Question: did you fit the foam engine bay seal, or is that how it was when you dropped the engine?

I guess they used the tiny camping stove instead of the absent cooker? Weird to have such a specced out camper and for it to be so lightly used.

Love it.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Very nice bus. I'm sure the VW museum would be interested in having it

Just a regular guy
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

I’m back! Had a nice camp with the wife and kids at Stone Mountain, and had the pleasure of a fireside visit from our new friend, Samba member ultralite and his absolutely stunning 69’ Westy:

That’s our Dakota Beige 78’, and for those that wondered why anyone would consider anything else a “forever bus” when one owns this mint orange 75’…

Yesterday I would have told you the reason is because I have put too much work into the 78’ since I’ve had it, all the essential upgrades, solar, glorious cold modern AC, getting it driving just right, a history of memories made, etc. and the thought of doing it again on another bus is exhausting. But today, I know the real reason. The 78’ sits in the garage right now – absolutely trashed. Over the course of 48 hours, a 3 and a 5 year old, who swam no less than a dozen times in various bodies of water, managed to turn it into a bus that looks like we’ve been living in it for 2 years. There’s a layer of funk – you know what I mean – on everything.

It’s not that I’d be afraid of funking up the Orange 75’, funk from use is mostly temporary. It’s that I like not caring about that funk! I have absolutely no hesitation in taking the 78’ on adventures, knowing it will be nicked, rained on, smeared, dribbled with edible substances… and it’s a cherry bus, no doubt, I'm really proud of it - but it’s not tooooooo perfect, know what I mean? With the Brilliant Orange 75’, I’m in such awe at it’s condition that I, personally, would hesitate to abuse it like I know I would! I figure, if the eventual “forever owner” should decide to use it for an around-the-world-trek - or put it in a museum, that’s their prerogative. But I feel like my role in this is just to preserve it until its destiny unfolds.

Anyway, many requests for engine photos so I’ll use this post for that.

Like I said, I had to pull this engine for the first time because it needed a gasket/seal set and of course new fuel and vacuum hoses to run right and safely and not leak a pint of oil with each start up. The original push rod tube seals just crumbled during removal. The foam engine seal had literally turned to dust after sitting for 30 years (along with the front seat padding) and created a wonderful cloud of smoke as it burned on the exhaust when I fired it up for the first time. So I replaced that of course. The fan shroud had a layer of very tough whitish corrosion that I guess was a chemical reaction with the Georgia air, and without harming the original decal, the best I could do was work on it with steel wool. Other than that, I just tried to clean everything.

The factory inspector’s “In Ordnung” stamp, which must have not been very firmly applied that day in 75’:

The engine count number stamp looks much better:

Some wide angles. Note the original one year only muffler with preheater shroud was tragically removed. I guess that’s why Ratwell calls it “uber rare” – it didn’t even survive on a bus of this caliber. The “early FI” EGR was disconnected probably at the same time, I made a better block-off plate and painted the muffler and gravel guard, which were the only two rusty things on the car. I also thought it’s cool to see an intact right blower fan-to-riser tube, that crazy shaped accordion thing.

Here you can see the underside of the 75’ left rear tin with the blocked port that would have originally connected to the crossover tube preheat shroud:

Believe it or not, first bus I’ve had with no oil leaks!

The surviving emissions decal and the rare OG steel timing scale with correct 5 degree ATDC dot:

Duel Vacuum Advance Distributor with original rev-limiter rotor:

Diagnostic port, still wired up:

Original air filer:

The original thermostat, rebuilt by Clark at Awesome Powdercoat:

The early FI intake nozzle with the preheat intake port

So clean you could drink from it!

And finally, the air filter grommet in its original orientation, which I never knew was a part that existed before now:

More to come…

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: