Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Squeeze Cheese wrote:
This was a USA bound bus, but seems to have some mix of Euro/Can options.

Nope.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Canada, St Johns NB

Yea, I saw that too on the MPlate site, but the birth certificate says it was USA bound. Interesting...
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

I absolutely figured that is what you meant with the earlier "forever bus" comments. It is awesome that this bus has survived so nicely at this point in time, though perhaps it is a little sad for the bus-it missed out on 30 years of fun with families! (Ok, maybe that is taking the typical bus personification a little far.)

But I really feel like these things were meant to be enjoyed, and if I had a 5 year old, I would certainly be nervous about him enjoying something in such nice condition! And there is certainly something to be said about the memories attached to a certain bus, too.

I'm that way for sure with both my Buses but especially the '78. I've had it for 16 years now and it has been lots of fun along the way, with my best friend's son now growing up with it, and my foster sons I've had over the last few years. It is great to be able to enjoy the bus with loved ones, while not having to worry about something getting buggered up.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

All the (113 Admittance plate for Canada) decoded M-Plates here have a destination of somewhere in Canada.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...ults=posts

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342305&highlight=mplate

Note it says "First delivery 4 July 1975 to USA. On your document.
I wonder why it would say "First" ?

Tcash
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

This is almost too much. That’s the first diagnostic port I’ve seen in that condition. My ‘73 is still sort of there, but all the wiring was hacked decades ago.

I’ve got some stocked up junkyard FI parts, but nothing that early and nothing that clean. Amazing.

I’m willing to bet a compression test would be an almost sexual experience.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Emissions decal information also states it conforms to CMVS standards. Is this a Canadian reference?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Emissions decal information also states it conforms to CMVS standards. Is this a Canadian reference?

Pretty sure. CA emission systems say CALIFORNIA , don’t they?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Yeah, it would state California... and the Federal would state USEPA apparently:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8220856#8220856
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:

Yea, I saw that too on the MPlate site, but the birth certificate says it was USA bound. Interesting...

Possibly transshipped from New Jersey? After all, why send two ships across the Atlantic when you can send one?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Squeeze Cheese wrote:
This was a USA bound bus, but seems to have some mix of Euro/Can options.

Nope.

Canada, St Johns NB

I would trust the M-Plate. VW Birth Certificates have been wrong many times in the past.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Thanks for all the engine pics.
I find it interesting that there is a heat dump tube on the right flapper box, but not one on the left.

I'd also recommend making some kind of sturdy metal bracket from one of the bolts/studs on the left heater box, to one of the threaded holes on the fan housing. There's a lot of unsupported weight just dangling and bouncing around there.
Make a bracket in this location, or from one of the other bolts at the triangular heater box-to-muffler flange.

Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Thanks for all the engine pics.
I find it interesting that there is a heat dump tube on the right flapper box, but not one on the left.

That's my bad. The OG one fell apart during removal, I had a later one in the parts bin and figured, better than nothing.

hazetguy wrote:
I'd also recommend making some kind of sturdy metal bracket from one of the bolts/studs on the left heater box, to one of the threaded holes on the fan housing. There's a lot of unsupported weight just dangling and bouncing around there.

Noted!
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.

Last edited by Squeeze Cheese on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

This post: The original placards, decals, and markings on some of the parts I’ve come across.

Here’s the VIN and M-Code plates, the paint code, emissions, and driver’s door decals:

The Westfalia serial plate and camper decals:

Upholstery, seat, and curtain labeling:

An original door card has this watermark type stamp inside:

Close-up of the engine tuning/emissions decal:

Original glass etchings:

OG Hella “Made in Germany” lenses and fixtures:

Here’s the rare Bosche H4 headlamps, another part of the Euro/Canada/USA mix of options on this bus:

Next post: Details of some of the interior bits and pieces. Thanks for reading!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

That sheet in the cabinet is definitely Canadian - CSA - Canada Standards Association. I had the same one in my 79 Canadian Westy.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Those 'smokers' windows really are the weak spot. Even this one shows it.

Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Also the transport Canada vin sticker on the door jamb. Definitely a Canadian bus. Luckily it doesn't look like it's seen a Canadian winter.
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Also the transport Canada vin sticker on the door jamb. Definitely a Canadian bus. Luckily it doesn't look like it's seen a Canadian winter.

I'd have to agree at this point, and that's what I thought when I bought it, before I received the birth certificate indicating a US destination. I considered that to be as official as possible, but I guess not. It does have the Euro radio, and are those normal Canadian headlights?

I do know that it spent it's life based in Georgia, so it must have made its way down here pretty quickly.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:

LOL - I didn't even notice that, since it's on all the buses here.

It's a good thing it headed south fast. Saved it's life probably. My 79 was rusted pretty badly by 1989.

rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
It's a good thing it headed south fast. Saved it's life probably. My 79 was rusted pretty badly by 1989.

My dad drove a beetle back in the 70's in Toronto, and he said that when it was 5 or 6 years old the heat stopped working. When he went to investigate why he found that the heater channels had rusted out. Confused
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

that is one absolutely superb bus, well done Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brilliant Orange Time Capsule: A 39K mi bus and its OG/NLA parts Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
and are those normal Canadian headlights?.

Nope, we got sealed beams, likely a PO upgrade.
The rest sure looks like a Canada bus, except for that bonus plate riveted to the bulkhead inboard of the door jamb sticker, what's that? Is there a plate behind the RF seat?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: