Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Super Beetle **UPDATE**: First startup, runs rough.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I disagree with this. Not trying to be an ass, but the amount of draw you get from the air cleaner is minimal and does not create a negative pressure in the case. If you have so much blow by to push oil out of the crank pulley, you have other issues. I have more than one of my cars with a simple vent filter. Some are vented into the air cleaner.

I agree with you. This simple system Volkswagen designed won't mask a bad blow by problem.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Ordered a Brosol fuel pump along with hoses, clamps and everything else I needed for this engine at the moment. I will be checking the fuel pressure after the new install but wanted some thoughts on a fuel pressure regulator?

https://www.jbugs.com/product/9102.html

Supposedly, this one has been known to leak fuel out the top after minimal use, but I have seen the Holley regulators... What do you guys think?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Deebs756 wrote:
Ordered a Brosol fuel pump along with hoses, clamps and everything else I needed for this engine at the moment. I will be checking the fuel pressure after the new install but wanted some thoughts on a fuel pressure regulator?

Supposedly, this one has been known to leak fuel out the top after minimal use, but I have seen the Holley regulators... What do you guys think?

I would check the pump PSI after install and simply make sure it's within specs.

To me, a regulator is just more connections (which can leak) and more items which can fail. Also to me, a regulator is more of a 'band-aid' for an over-zealous pump if no other option existed and one had to drive the car until a proper PSI output pump could be installed.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Stock carb and stock pump do not need a fuel pressure regulator. If needed, fuel pressure can be lowered by stacking additional paper gaskets between the pump and the stand.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan, thank you. Trying to find that fine line between necessities and overthinking...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Deebs756 wrote:

I had one like that on my Mazda truck, and it leaked after about a year. No fire.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Alright guys, what guage wire do I need to replace this frayed one from the alternator to the coil?

Started her up for the first time in a while and popped the decklid only to find my old braided outlet hose from the fuel pump to the carburetor was soaking wet, so like you guys thought - time for some fresh hoses. Hose is crimped for now, battery is disconnected.
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Finally got the engine out today - huge milestone for me!
On the way out, i noticed oil under the engine and took some photos.
Would anyone be able to tell me if this is of any concern or not? I removed the engine to seal up the compartment, but if I need to do ANYTHING else while it's out I am doing it. So let me know guys!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Those are spring loaded push rod tubes and are known to leak. If it was mine, I'd pull the heads and installed stock pushrods. I don't know your skill set but it's not that hard with a good Bentley manual or the Bug Me Video on engine rebuilding.

You're also missing the thermostat and I'll assume the flaps in the fan shroud. It would be a great time to reinstall them too.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Bingo to everything Bill said. Awesomepowdercoat.com has everything you need to restore a working thermostat system.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Bingo to everything Bill said. Awesomepowdercoat.com has everything you need to restore a working thermostat system.

Make that a x3 from me.

Ordered a new thermostat from AwesomePowdercoat. Excellent item. I have no doubts his thermostat flaps are of just as high quality as that thermostat.

Pretty quick turnaround from time of order to arriving at my door too, considering he makes the thermostats and flaps himself.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

I have not had good luck with any of the spring loaded replacement pushrod tubes, but there are quite a few folks that feel the Jaycee ones are really good. All that's involved is removing the rockers, pulling your pushrods, remove the old tubes and install new ones. No head removal required and you can do it with the engine in the car. Make sure you get GOOD silicone tube seals.

You will need a torque wrench to reinstall the rockers, but you just put it together and set the valves and you are done.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I have not had good luck with any of the spring loaded replacement pushrod tubes, but there are quite a few folks that feel the Jaycee ones are really good. All that's involved is removing the rockers, pulling your pushrods, remove the old tubes and install new ones. No head removal required and you can do it with the engine in the car. Make sure you get GOOD silicone tube seals.

You will need a torque wrench to reinstall the rockers, but you just put it together and set the valves and you are done.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to check those out!
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

When replacing my fuel pump, the flange broke in half inside the case. Long story short, i took off the whole top of the engine (shroud, oil filler, alternator stand, intake manifold) to get a tap in and get it out. Success. However, after the fact I realized I pulled my distributor before turning my pulley to TDC. Is this going to be a pain in the ass to reinstall when I am finished?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

If you left the clamp on the distributor, its a piece of cake. Just look at the slots in the drive gear and line up the distributor with it when you slip it back in. Just rotate it a little back and forth when you slip it in to make sure the dog at the bottom slips into the slot.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Beetle scene, 1971 Super Beetle seeking advice. Reply with quote

Well, as of today I am at a crossroads as to where to go next. I have began to add up the numbers on what it will cost to bring my current engine back up to par. If you have seen my thread regarding my piston situation, they are in bad shape. I have been leaning towards Jimbo's advice on rebuilding the whole thing, but I do have somewhat of a budget to stay in (25 years old, married saving for our first home).

I have found an ad for a used engine that is somewhat local. It looks to also have a Solex 34 Pict 3 carb which is nice. Generator is no problem, as I can swap my alternator. I have included a link to it as well as a short video of it running. I understand that only so much can be determined from this, but let me know what you think. If it seems solid, I will take a look at it and run a compression test.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/d/volkswagen-beetle-running/6629185917.html

https://youtu.be/e3rXTk-K1bI

By the way, bonus points if someone can point out that distributor (mine is a 009 and I would be thrilled if this is SVDA).
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle **UPDATE**: First startup, runs rough. Reply with quote

It has been a while. I bought a rebuilt long block from an awesome older gentleman who started as a VW Technician 41 years ago. I gave him my core and brought the fresh one home.

Fast forward a few weeks and I finally started it up today for the first time. It runs rough, but to me that was expected. This was essentially a test run before I finished installing last remaining pieces (throttle cable, breast plate, under cylinder tin etc...).

Now some of you gave me advice on rebuilding completely (Jimbo and Cusser) vs. a top end job and well... you were right. The man who I swapped long blocks with called me a few days ago to check on my progress, and gave me some harsh news about the engine I gave to him. A half inch of Permatex was lining the bottom of the inside of the case. Blew smoke everywhere when he tried putting fresh cylinder heads on. "In all my years of rebuilding these, I have never seen something like this." I felt awful, but he assured me it was not my fault. Glad I spent what I did instead of putting a band-aid on.

With all that being said, I know it runs a little rough and I've done the best I can troubleshooting with my Bentley manual.

I need some help. I have new plug wires, fuel lines, belt and fuel pump.
1600CC AE completely stock.
Statically timed at the moment to 7.5 BTDC.
I would like to get an SVDA from Bill (vcfvw69) as a reward to myself to replace this crap 009. Best I can do with what I have at the moment.

Take a look, it's 51 seconds and would help me out a ton.
Thanks guys,
Kyle

https://youtu.be/quMKtqyM36E

P.S. Listen to the hissing sound from what I believe is the carburetor. Normal with no oil bath on top? Bocar 34-3.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle **UPDATE**: First startup, runs rough. Reply with quote

Hmmm...sounds to me like engine tin getting hit, possibly the fan is unbalanced and hitting the shroud. My ear is not super trained for truly bad engine sounds, so I'd wait for other opinions.

Have you shared this video w/the builder? That would be my 1st step.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super Beetle **UPDATE**: First startup, runs rough. Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Hmmm...sounds to me like engine tin getting hit, possibly the fan is unbalanced and hitting the shroud. My ear is not super trained for truly bad engine sounds, so I'd wait for other opinions.

Have you shared this video w/the builder? That would be my 1st step.

I have not, but I am calling him tomorrow morning.

I also noticed after posting tonight that my generator idiot light now stays on at all times. Could the belt be too tight? I have four shims between the pulley and the fifth on the outside of it (PO only had 5 shims to begin with so I will need to order some more).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: