Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

popout hinges question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: popout hinges question Reply with quote

I'm about to assemble the popout glass on my 61 ghia. I have new glass and need to fit all the parts. When I look at a photo of a completed popout window the hinges appear to protrude through the rubber . ..below
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I look at the photo also of the parts needed and it shows the same thing.. below
\
I have these parts but my rubber is solid? Do I have the wrong rubber or do I cut the 3 holes needed?

I also can see that the replacement aluminium channel is not bent like the original, guessing it will bend naturally as I fit to glass?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: popout hinges question Reply with quote

You just cut the slots out with a craft knife.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: popout hinges question Reply with quote

Quote:
guessing it will bend naturally as I fit to glass?

I'm thinking you should bend it before you fit it to the glass. Glass doesn't like stress. Like Paul70Ghia said about the rubber 'seal', just cut them out. Determine the locations to be cut by the screw holes in the 'channel'.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: popout hinges question Reply with quote

There's a kgpr/airheadparts video on YouTube if you google installing karmann Ghia rear windows which shows the aluminium channel fitting which might be useful
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: popout hinges question Reply with quote

worked on the windows over the weekend. Still not sure if rubber is correctly fitted. I have searched forums but cant find a link to fitting the hinges and rubber. does it look correct?

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: popout hinges question Reply with quote

I think there are holes for screws in the 'removable pillar'. Try fitting the window to the pillar and marking the holes. Then take the plastic pieces off and drill holes in them just smaller than the screw. Not sure what the screw size is but I used short sheet metal screws.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: popout hinges question Reply with quote

Just pulled mine out of a box thinking I left them intact... My windows have the chrome, no rubber. Now to rifle through my boxes of rubber to see if I have those pieces. Sorry, I wasn't much help. Confused Did you get the sill holes drilled?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: