Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rockauto turn signal lenses
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

I apologize this has been asked before (I did search first). I see early Bus front and rear turn signal lenses for $12 and $5.50 respectively. Has anyone used any of these and how do they fit?
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

it isn't an answer directly to your question but it might help. I once bought front replacements from JC Whitney for my 1971 bay. I was expecting something cheap but found them to be genuine Hella when they arrived, still in VW boxes. Rock Auto is a lot like JC Whitney. They buy dusty old boxes of old stock items sometimes from chains going out of business, and dump them at a small profit. It might be worth buying a set to see what they are shipping now. If they are junk send them back. If they are genuine Hella then buy a dozen more and hang onto them for a small profit. They do respond to phone calls.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
it isn't an answer directly to your question but it might help. I once bought front replacements from JC Whitney for my 1971 bay. I was expecting something cheap but found them to be genuine Hella when they arrived, still in VW boxes. Rock Auto is a lot like JC Whitney. They buy dusty old boxes of old stock items sometimes from chains going out of business, and dump them at a small profit. It might be worth buying a set to see what they are shipping now. If they are junk send them back. If they are genuine Hella then buy a dozen more and hang onto them for a small profit. They do respond to phone calls.

^^^...This is true...to an extent. Rockauto does do that very thing. They have a lot of financial clout it seems. They buy lots of consignments of close out parts, production over run lots....and.....they also buy tons of brand new parts just like a FLAPS.

You never know what will show up there.

Also....go to their portal and plug in your vehicles. Periodically they will send you e-mails that are vehicles and year specific for your cars...of items that are closing out for insane prices.

Examples from one of my last "close out" buys....were Re-bagged FAG caliper kits for type 3 and 4 ATE calipers....for in the $6 range, Bosch Icon wiper blades for the rear of my Golf for about $8 (normally about $23), type 3/4 rear brake shoe set (Textar...which is excellent)...for about $3, gates fan belt for type 4 engine $2.75....stuff like that.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

They are going to be the made in India crap. They will not fit well and fade to clear within a couple of years. The original front turn signals for an early bay are not easy to find and go for 100 bucks a pair minimum. The rears are now repopped by someone and sold by several parts purveyors that charge upwards of 70? a pair but look to be decent quality.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

You can buy brand new Hella lenses from West Coast Metric. A little pricey, but still less $ than trying to find NOS. I bought some cheapies the last time, and they faded and look more clear than orange anymore. Next time I'll be buying these: http://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22966322-211-141p-ger.html

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
They are going to be the made in India crap. They will not fit well and fade to clear within a couple of years. The original front turn signals for an early bay are not easy to find and go for 100 bucks a pair minimum. The rears are now repopped by someone and sold by several parts purveyors that charge upwards of 70? a pair but look to be decent quality.

EVERYTHING I have bought from Rock Auto in the last 10 years is old stock parts. Even currently produced items show up in old sun faded packaging. It is why I don't buy from them anymore. The bus parts I got however were what I needed because it is so old. The Sable stuff is faded and rough. The MDX is too new to need things.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

I recently installed a pair of front lenses from Rock Auto, the holes are about 1/8" too narrow & require careful wallowing with a drillbit to get the screws to line up close enough to (cross)thread them in. These were not "old stock", the "MADE IN CHINA" sticker was still wet.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Hoody wrote:

EVERYTHING I have bought from Rock Auto in the last 10 years is old stock parts. Even currently produced items show up in old sun faded packaging. It is why I don't buy from them anymore. The bus parts I got however were what I needed because it is so old. The Sable stuff is faded and rough. The MDX is too new to need things.

All of the caliper kits ai have bought were date coded to the year ai bought them in.

The close out parts....MC kits....are very old. Strut mounts....brand new.....wiper blades....brand new. Water pump for the Golf....brand new Bosch.

It all depends on what you are buying. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I recently installed a pair of front lenses from Rock Auto, the holes are about 1/8" too narrow & require careful wallowing with a drillbit to get the screws to line up close enough to (cross)thread them in. These were not "old stock", the "MADE IN CHINA" sticker was still wet.

Ghose wiuld be thd IAP stuff?....yep....China. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockauto turn signal lenses Reply with quote

my wiper blades were sun crazed and the plastic containers brown with sun age and falling apart. It was cheaper to throw them away than send them back. I got a dog and pony show when I called to complain about the quality. The Sable hatch lifts were scratched and about 1/2 the usable lift gone. Open box two different brands for the same part. I do better on Ebay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: