Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'77 won't turn over
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
el-roso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

My first post and it's a request for help, wish I'd introduced myself earlier.

I am a recent owner of a '77 bus with an auto tranny and the first 3/4 months have been problem free until now.

Over the last week I've been having intermittent issues getting the starter to turn over that have gotten worse to the point that I now can't start it at all.

I turn the ignition on and the instruments light up, but when I try to start it nothing happens. I'm not hearing any clicking and the starter is not turning or even trying to turn. The headlights work and don't dim when I turn the key. I tested the battery and am getting 12.5V from the terminals.

Every now and then it will start, but I have the keep the key turned to the starter position for 4-5 sec's before the starter motor will begin to turn. Once the starter kicks in the engine runs just fine.

My untrained instinct tells me that as the auto needs to be in Park to start, perhaps the switch that detects that the trans in is P could be faulty or perhaps that the ignition switch itself is not detecting that the key is turned but I'm just guessing.

If it's the starter or solenoid, is it likely that it would work intermittently like this?

First bus, first problem, first post! Where are the obvious places to look?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

First off the headlights should go off completely when you turn the key to the start position. Second checking the voltage at the battery doesn't tell you much about the voltage at the starter when the key is turned. Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid? If not read up on doing so, don't run yourself over!!! Have you cleaned all your high amperage connections including your grounds?
XXX/Rx/RnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

Solenoid has to have 12 volts or better to energized. Hard start relay will bypass the wire going to the key and back and give full battery voltage at the solenoid. $12 from bus depot. After many years of service and cycles the wire going to the key and back will have a voltage drop.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

XXX/Rx/RnR wrote:
Solenoid has to have 12 volts or better to energized. Hard start relay will bypass the wire going to the key and back and give full battery voltage at the solenoid. $12 from bus depot. After many years of service and cycles the wire going to the key and back will have a voltage drop.
But before you do that, remove your ground strap from the battery, then disconnect it where it bolts to the body. That bolt may be rusty and may break when you remove it. At any rate, take some fine sandpaper and shine up the side of the ground strap that touches the body and shine up the steel of the body where the ground strap contacts it. Now, before you put the ground strap back on, disconnect and clean up your positive connection to the battery both on the battery end and the starter end. Reconnect the positive, then reconnect the ground. In other words, you are cleaning BOTH ends of BOTH cables. If that doesn’t help it to start better, now disconnect and clean up both ends of the transmission ground strap. Let us know how things work out. Best of luck! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

That is a classic 'bad pigtail from solenoid to motor' symptom.
el-roso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
First off the headlights should go off completely when you turn the key to the start position. Second checking the voltage at the battery doesn't tell you much about the voltage at the starter when the key is turned. Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid? If not read up on doing so, don't run yourself over!!! Have you cleaned all your high amperage connections including your grounds?

I think I was trying to eliminate having a flat battery as an option is all.

Will read up on jumping the solenoid next. Thank you for the advice.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

If the battery is more than 5 years old just replace it with a new one. If the headlights are dim when the key is on then it may need a charge. Don't leave the key on long because it can burn the points, coil or electronic ignition. Below is a photo of tests for a starter and solenoid once you know the battery is strong. In neutral, key off and wheels chocked so you don't get run over. If you charge the battery remove one lead so the alternator and ECU are fairly isolated from errors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

After cleaning all the cables and starter connections try putting it in neutral and starting. The Neutral safety/back up light switch is under the shifter cover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

Not to ignore all the great advice given so far, I will share with you that I had similar symptoms on my 1977 bus. All of the tasks outlined above had previously been accomplished.

Root cause: cracked ignition switch in the steering column. The ignition key lock turns a small indexed tab into the switch which actually does the electrical work needed to allow current to pass from the battery to the starter solenoid. When (not “IF” but WHEN) that switch housing cracks, the effort of that tab is relegated to sloppy ineffectiveness.

Solution is to remove the switch and replace with new, not really a simple task for the unitiated. Here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8215835#8215835
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el-roso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help and advice.

After trying the ideas above, I gave up and called roadside assistance and they managed to get it started. The guy got underneath and tapped the starter with a wrench as I turned the key and it fired right up.

I'm not sure what this means, whether it's bad starter / solenoid / both but I have a good lead now. Will update when I get more news.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

It would mean to me... that it’s time to pull the starter and clean and lube the solenoid and blow out all dust from the motor side. Replace corroded nuts and washers and splice in new crimp connectors on the wiring to the solenoid and starter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

If you have a good auto electric shop in town , once the starter is out, pass Go and take it to them for a clean and rebuild.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

el-roso wrote:
Thank you all for the help and advice.

After trying the ideas above, I gave up and called roadside assistance and they managed to get it started. The guy got underneath and tapped the starter with a wrench as I turned the key and it fired right up.

I'm not sure what this means, whether it's bad starter / solenoid / both but I have a good lead now. Will update when I get more news.

it means two things - (1) you have a sticky solenoid like millions of other VW owners have had during the time they owned an AC VW (2) it means the guy who came to help you once owned an air cooled VW too. Smile

The fix is to pull the starter and lubricate the solenoid. Do this about once every 50,000 to 60,000 miles.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

The starter motor brushes are loosing contact. Sometimes you can clean them or time for a rebuild.
Good luck
Tcash

Starter id = Which clutch cover/bell housing you have T2
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
The starter motor brushes are loosing contact. Sometimes you can clean them or time for a rebuild.
Good luck
Tcash

Starter id = Which clutch cover/bell housing you have T2

Tim - the solenoid is sticking from grease hardening and dust. Starter brushes last 10 lifetimes on a bay. Solenoids stick every 60,000 to 80,000 miles. In 400,000 miles on my 1971 I went thru this at least once every two or three years like a clock. Can't begin to tell you how many bugs and buses I started for folks at gas stations or in parking lots by tapping the solenoid while the owner turned the key. I used to carry a small hammer around for this. A little white grease after cleaning usually solves it for several years. New solenoids would only get about 70,000 80,000 miles before sticking. I'd wager a paycheck that 75% of the starter problems here are this. The other 25% are a switch that has overheated from this or a weak battery.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: '77 won't turn over Reply with quote

Could be.
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: