Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Legality of Seat Orientation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giffygiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Legality of Seat Orientation Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are any laws regarding which direction seats must be facing in a vehicle? I’m working on plans for converting a 1979 transporter into a camper wagon, but I’d ideally like to keep the ability of hauling around a bunch of friends too. Typically you always see seats facing forward, but I am wondering if you’d get in trouble if anyone was seated facing the back of the bus. I figure it must be safe since baby carriers face this way, but I can’t find any info out there. Thanks!
*Note: I live in the U.S.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Legality of Seat Orientation Reply with quote

There is legal-criminal which relates to getting a ticket for improper equipment. State regs vary with regard to seat belts and use as originally manufactured. If you put too many seats in, life gets interesting

And there is legal civil which is den of thieves. You put a seat in from another Vw, have an accident, and your friends insurance company sues you for the outcome. Results have little correspondence to logic or reason,

You will need state specific advice. There are maximum occupancy type stickers by Federal decree, I believe.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Legality of Seat Orientation Reply with quote

Old American station wagons had seats in the back that faced the rear. Some faced each other.

I'd say it would have more to do with OEM, versus direction of the seats. Anything thats not OEM you do yourself, you'd be opening yourself up to possible legal issues in an accident.

A Bus camper had a single jump seat facing the rear, right behind the driver.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Legality of Seat Orientation Reply with quote

Some Vanagons had two rear facing seats, one behind each drivers seat. The forces you see in an accident will easily rip a seat loose from its mounting if not done well, at which point the seat and its occupants become lethal projectiles.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Legality of Seat Orientation Reply with quote

basically the child seats need to be attached per manufacturer's specs. Your seats have to accommodate that. Seats must have seat belts. You become liable for any damage someone suffers forever in that bus if someone can finger you as the who done it, like they find this post for example. And what everyone else said.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Legality of Seat Orientation Reply with quote

I added a rear facing 5th seat in my bus. I figured if they are stock in a Vangon, it should be okay/legal in a Bus as well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: