Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy tail lights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westbandit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

i think they are early 30's Ford tailights with 4 1" rounds dual LED in the engine cage
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

39 Ford and Lucas bullets

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

Westbandit, your Buggy is very unique! I looked up your build thread and the quality is second to none! Not sure what the taillight originated from but I like the size. Should be very visible.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

It looks like the stock Beetle tail lights are the most popular but there are some really nice other choices too. The early Ford ones are attractive for sure!
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
It looks like the stock Beetle tail lights are the most popular but there are some really nice other choices too. The early Ford ones are attractive for sure!

mine arent overly bright plus with the large engine cage i needed to light it up. i have seen those ford lights in an led style as well. looks exactly the same just full of LEDs
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

AMC Matador

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

Just thinking about this visibility issue. We have some great options shown in this thread but how many are reflective in the dark? Some factory tail lights already do that. I know that mine are not. If someone were to come up on our Buggies in the dark on the side of the road would they be able to see them?

I need to address that aspect too and the trick is to do it in such a way as to not spoil the authentics of the car. I for one don't want a bunch of junk hanging randomly off the back of the thing.

Something hopefully in good taste.

Maybe some reflective tape on the shocks? Mostly out of sight under the car but should catch the headlights at night?
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

The lack of reflective lenses on most aftermarket taillights has never sat well with me, can potentially have huge negative impact and consequences.

I have used silver or white 2" conspicuity tape like you see on transports. Either is not noticeable on aluminum or white until it is illuminated by headlights, then either are very prominent. I would think if you had a chrome or stainless rear bumper you could add a full silver strip facing the rear, another facing each side. Or add to the shocks as mentioned above, or any rear facing surface.

Some thought should be given to side exposure as well, perhaps along the outer edge of the chassis? The tape is available in multiple colors.

There is no such thing as being too safe on a dark night.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

What do you think of using 4 of these?
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

Are they bright?

What is the goal? My goal with taillights is safety 1st, then ease of replacement if broken, finally appearance. The LED truck lights meet these goals.

They do not have "historicity" that some of the fancy lights from 65 Impalas or other lights, but they are bright enough for sunny days that I mostly drive the buggy.

-Best regards, Jeffrey
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

The goal is visability first of all. These should address that. Authenticity would be nice but this Buggy fails on that regard from the rear view anyway in my view. Some day I would like to cut the engine over hang off and start fresh making it look more like the Manx style but for now I think these lights may fill in the back end better and make it a little less ugly.

Just an interm solution that doesn't involve a bunch of hole filling and trying to match up the gel coat.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Are they bright?

What is the goal? My goal with taillights is safety 1st, then ease of replacement if broken, finally appearance. The LED truck lights meet these goals.

They do not have "historicity" that some of the fancy lights from 65 Impalas or other lights, but they are bright enough for sunny days that I mostly drive the buggy.

-Best regards, Jeffrey

That right there is the most important thing said in this whole thread. Lots of people only consider how bright the lights will be at night. Not thinking that in full sunlight with the sun behind you people NEED to see your brake and signal lights, brakes being priority one. And modern drivers are used to seeing big bright in your face lights including 3rd brake lights and up here in Canada day time headlights which I wore into every car I build. Engine running? Headlights are on. I also run the taillights all the time.

brad
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
What do you think of using 4 of these?

LED lights often don't show very well if they are not pointed right toward the intended target. I would tape one in place and see if the angle of your body will still allow them to be effective to a car behind you.

Last edited by EVfun on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:

Here's an interesting "study" on various Manx tail light choices:

A great lineup. Most of the "common" ones are there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

All good points!

And yes they seem pretty bright just sparking them up across the battery in the garage. I would say... 4 times brighter or more!

Out with the hole saw...

Just a point of interest that doesn't really effect the vast majority on this site especially our Buggies as they are fair weather cars. These LED lights do not produce any heat to speak of so in my view are not the a good choice for winter driving as they do not self clean on snowy roads like incandescent bulbs do. LEDs quickly become covered with snow and disappear from view. It has become a major concern to me since they have become popular on transport trucks. You can drive right into the back of a truck in on a snowy day and never even see it. I am actually surprised that they are still legal on transports.

However in reality the only time this Buggy will see snow is for ice racing and that will be in a controlled environment in the middle of the day so I have no qualms about using LEDs on it.

Last edited by oprn on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

Caleb Melvin wrote:
MrGoodtunes wrote:

A great lineup. Most of the "common" ones are there!

Yes that is my favorite picture on this thread! Very Happy
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

Caleb Melvin wrote:

What are the tail lights on the green buggy at the back? They appear to be LED, and look like a bubble lens. Good lighting for the Manx style mounting angle.

On a s(n)ide note, how many of us drive a old Bug with glass tail lights when not driving our buggy? Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

Got the outside two done. Then started on the third one - oops - problem!

Air cleaner is in the way! Why doesn't someone build offset manifolds for a type 4 engine?

manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy tail lights Reply with quote

OEM Hella VW housings chrome plated locally.

Twisted and pulled wider slightly to suit the Manx's curves but not trimmed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: