Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

OK,
We were trying to replace the power brake booster,
And when it came off,
The grommet at the barbed input,
Where the vacuum line comes in,
Was kind of gooey and chewed up.

Part #71(?)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The barbs seemed to have pulled the grommet apart.
Can't seem to find it mentioned for sale anywhere..

Upon trying to re-assemble,
We tried using one of these reservoir tube grommets to no avail.
http://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22966772-211-833c.html

Maybe just get a fresh hose on?
This?
http://www.busdepot.com/j18127

Front to back? Huh?
http://www.busdepot.com/211611939

Maybe just a blob of black silicone might do the trick?

If anyone here has this one sussed out, please share the secret.
Much thanks!

What’s That Noise?!?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

Looks like the Master cylinder reservoir does not get a rubber grommet.
thnx to mayor ratwell and jerseylooker.

Note: #4 is the master reservoir Damon has. #4 is the 73-79 w/servo. Diagram leaves a lot out.

#2 is the Master reservoir wo/servo. Note No grommet on master reservoir.
#6 is the Fill reservoir that does have the grommet though.

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/051-00-6-008.jpg

Tcash

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche.html
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

my 1977 has a grommet in the booster that the barb goes into. The hose then clamps to the barb. Part #71 is the clamp. It also shows up on the Early bay fiche. The grommet does not, or at least I can't find it either. The fiche shows the booster with a nipple on it. My 1977 is not like the fiche. I'll keep looking.

edit: I Googled "ATE Brake Booster grommet" and got quite a few hits that kinda look like what I would expect to fit the ATE booster. They range from $1.20 to $10 but all look alike. Good luck.

I grabbed this photo out of the Ronnin10's gallery- it shows the grommet

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

The part you are looking for is 211-611-833D. It’s used on all of the connections of the hard plastic lines including the check valve (5) if I am not mistaken.The grommets that go into the hard plastic line between the upper and lower reservoir is 211-611-833C (2). Bughaus has both in stock.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
The part you are looking for is 211-611-833D. It’s used on all of the connections of the hard plastic lines including the check valve (5) if I am not mistaken.The grommets that go into the hard plastic line between the upper and lower reservoir is 211-611-833C (2). Bughaus has both in stock.

Clatter got the 833C's.
The od of the grommet is the same diameter as the od of the plastic line.
Do the plastic lines shrink that much over time?

The only thing I can think of is to soak the line in hot water or hit it with a heat gun and try and stretch the id of the plastic line?

Thank you
Tcash
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

I would not try to alter the hard plastic hose whatsoever. You are asking for big trouble. They are pre formed. I don’t have both grommets in front of me but I do recall that they are different. The “top” of the grommet is obviously different just looking at it. I think but am not sure that the “D” grommet may be thicker thus changing the ID. Go to German Supply’s website which has a very good picture of both of the grommets in question.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Plastic Brake Line Grommets Reply with quote

211 611 833 C Brake Grommet, Brake hose to fill and master reservoir

#59 list Qty2

211 611 833 D Brake Grommet,

#63 list Qty1

Last edited by Tcash on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

no - like this on the booster. The inner grommets TCash showed go inside the plastic hose ends to seal them. Turn to like glue over time. Not used where the barb goes into the booster. Autohauz is where this photo comes from - it looks like the one on my 1977 booster. The part or one like it does not show on the VW fiche.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
no - like this on the booster. The inner grommets TCash showed go inside the plastic hose ends to seal them. Turn to like glue over time. Not used where the barb goes into the booster. Autohauz is where this photo comes from - it looks like the one on my 1977 booster. The part or one like it does not show on the VW fiche.

The one we are talking about is the Inner grommets, inside the plastic hose ends.
The 833C's Clatter got slide nicely onto the master cylinder reservoir fitting. But the Plastic hose end is too small to slide over the grommet.

The grommet in the booster is in good condition.

Thank you for posting
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

The bigger question is did you get all of it out?, or is some still rattling around inside the booster?

I'd go for a trip to the wrecking yard and eye up some other cars, that looks like a somewhat common part on many cars/trucks/vans.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

I have read clatter's comments many times and we are interpreting it differently. I do know what these parts are. You'll find a thread back around 2009 where I detailed which piece goes where. My 1977 has all these parts and I had to source them because the PO cut some off to use garden and aquarium hose rather than the correct parts.

Where the hard plastic hose slides over things, the rubber grommets shown go. They get gooey with age. There are several of those used on the hard plastic line - each place the plastic line goes onto something one is used. There are two different diameters.

Where the hard plastic barb goes into the booster itself there is a round rubber grommet that also gets gooey. When the barb that goes into it is pulled out it comes apart. That part is not on the fiche.

There parts go on the hard plastic line where it slides onto the booster fitting.

This part goes on the booster where that fitting goes into the booster. It is NOT on a fiche. It comes with the booster but some places sell it separately.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Do you happen to have a part number for the Barb to Booster grommet.
I looked through your post, but could not find the 2009 post on the grommets.

Thank you
Tcash

It looks like the original old Servos had a pressed in metal nipple that was installed during during manufacturing.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

Guess I should have told you guy's that I need new glasses and a 1000 watt halogen light to see anything.
I got back under there today and stuck a screwdriver in the end of the plastic line and guess what pops out. The gooey old grommet. Might help if I removed the old grommets.

Damon got under there and installed the 211 611 833 D Brake Grommet, Booster barb to Plastic vacuum hose. I think Damon said the square end located in the hose.

Thanks to all that posted.
Tcash

Abscate I would have been blind a long time ago if what your dad said was true.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thank you
Tcash

It looks like the original old Servos had a pressed in metal nipple that was installed during during manufacturing.

ate 03.7718-7203.1 maybe ?
This is listed in the ate parts catalogue as vacuum grommet and looks exactly like the one pictured above in SGKents post.

EDIT: reverse search came up with VW 861 612 175
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:
Tcash wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thank you
Tcash

ate 03.7718-7203.1 maybe ?
This is listed in the ate parts catalogue as vacuum grommet and looks exactly like the one pictured above in SGKents post.

EDIT: reverse search came up with VW 861 612 175

Thank you

IIRC the Booster that is available to us. Was originally manufactured for the Audi.
Does anyone know which model Audi's the Brake Booster fits?
ECS list the Audi models the VW 861 612 175 Grommet fits.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-aud...861612175/

This site gives the dimensions of the seal in question.
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/861612175

ATE Seal, vacuum hose connector pipe
Number of article: 03.7718-7203.1
Reference number OEM: 861612175

(Submit a review)
Product info:
Thickness [mm]:9,5
Inner diameter [mm]:13,0
Outer diameter [mm]:28,0
ATESeal, vacuum hose connector pipe
Item number03.7718-7203.1

Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
SGKent wrote:

The one we are talking about is the Inner grommets, inside the plastic hose ends.
The 833C's Clatter got slide nicely onto the master cylinder reservoir fitting. But the Plastic hose end is too small to slide over the grommet.

The grommet in the booster is in good condition.

Thank you for posting
Tcash

SGKent I owe you an apology. It clearly states that he is asking about the "Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet".
There was no mention of this grommet being bad when we where working on the vehicle and it appeared to be in good condition to me. But we all know I need new glasses.
The one I was experiencing problems with was the Brake line grommet. So that was stuck in my mind. As we know, it helps to remove the old grommet before you try and put the new grommet in.
I Apologize
Tcash

PS Happy 4th
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

I was putting my booster vacuum hose back on when some hard rubber fell out. It appears that on both sides of the check valve there is a grommet sleeve that goes in both hard plastic pipes.

Is this what I need?

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/grommet-sleeve-tube-to-servo-hose-211-611-833-d/

I know I need two in this particular spot but will I need more further up the line?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I was putting my booster vacuum hose back on when some hard rubber fell out. It appears that on both sides of the check valve there is a grommet sleeve that goes in both hard plastic pipes.

Is this what I need?

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/grommet-sleeve-tube-to-servo-hose-211-611-833-d/

I know I need two in this particular spot but will I need more further up the line?

probably. I say that because 10 years ago when I chased them, some retailers interchange the C and D. If you look earlier in the thread you see the way the parts originally looked.
HikinFool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose? Reply with quote

I am currently replacing the last piece of hose for brake booster on a 1971 bus. It is the piece that connects to the forward most side of the booster (toward front of bus) and other end under left side of bus (where driver's hip?? would be above). All other hose I have used is 15/32" vacuum booster hose, and it fits fine, but this last piece that I have to replace is 5/8-3/4" inside diameter. I am not sure of the rules so I apologize if this is not allowed, but I screen shot someones else's picture to show where the front end of the hose would connect. My question is what is the correct size, length, and type of hose, and are there any grommets that are needed? Also, where does the other end attach, what is the purpose??
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by HikinFool on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Grommet? Reply with quote

The hose on the front bellows is the atmosphere vent, it doesn't have to be vacuum rated, any bulk watercooled heater hose will do just fine there, your FLAPS should have 5/8" ID on a roll by the foot.. Even clear vinyl hose would work, it just has to be waterproof and not kink.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: