Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

I have original 1962 floor pan guys.i have miata seats,BUT,it looks like my legs are going to be jammed.i may go with other seats.my question is what seats are the smallest lengthwise and width?.my seat needs to go back another inch or 2 but cant because the seat is bulky in the back.what seats fit perfectly into that rear pocket area??.I am 6 foot tall.but it really looks to tight test fitting me into them with the seat all the way back hitting that rear part of tunnel.the corner of the seat hits it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

I would hate to use harder seats but I need a seat that will fit all the way back into that pocket area.i do have a 3 inch body lift also that is robbing me a little side room.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

I also want to sit down in the buggy not on top of it.so I don't want to go to high up.any ideas???
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

914 Seats

These maybe?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-62-2881-0-Low-Back-R...SwSz1aw-aH

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-ROADSTER-STYLE-SE...Sw5JBanFR5

or a Razor seat like this (clearly not this exact one)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Polaris-Razor-RZR-800-...SwD31azrlQ
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
I also want to sit down in the buggy not on top of it.so I don't want to go to high up.any ideas???

To get as low as you can just mount sliders to base of seat and then directly to floor pan...

Average seat that "fits" nicely is about 19 inches wide so you are going to have to go narrower...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

jspbtown,those were the type seats i was thinking about also.i just want to make sure they go back further than my miata seats. i need that extra inch or 2 to be comfortable.them rzr seats do look like they will fit back really far in that (POCKET).i can get brand new ones for 240 a pair.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

Dale,ya its that damn rear tunnel thats causing the issue.i like the miata seats just wont go back far enough unless i lift em way to high.
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

So glad you mentioned Miata seats. I’m dealing with most of the same issues you are(6ft, 2in.) and ‘am about the same place in my build(preservation). I have come close to purchasing Miata seats a couple of times over the last few weeks. I passed on a sweet deal on some really nice rzr seats that even were trimmed in the right color because I thought they looked too angular for my curvey little buggy, having second thoughts now. I DO like the looks of those roadster seats but when I do the math on fitting my 38 in. waist in a 19 in. seat, there is’nt much room anything else... Rolling Eyes Everyone on here seems to swear by their PRP seats.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

aluk,all i can say is i am 6 foot 251 pounds.i have the stock floor.so that back corner of my miata seat is hitting the curved section of the tunnel in the rear and i will never get my ass in and out without a full cage with grab handles.i am kissing my knees.i have the regular manx style body 14 1/2 inches or so cut from the frame.so i dont know how anybody my height could be comfortable.i am not that old i guess 47.so it will only get worse as i get older.lol.i even raised the seat on 2 2x4 blocks.(about 4 inches).thats not gonna cut it either.i have to go with like a RZR seat i guess.something without a bulky back and rear corner on it.OR cut my channel up.(not doing that yet).i want to drive it soon.i got to get this right.already wasted 100 bucks on miata seats.keep me posted and ill do the same for u.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

i do like the PRP seats u can even finance them thru AFFIRM payments at checkout.(they r a little expensive).but i think i will have the same problem with them not going back far enough for me.i am really leaning towards RZR seats.i like the looks and have rode a rzr many times and was comfy in them.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

I am 6'2" and "right around" 250lbs and had a Manx. The real savior for me was installing a flat floor and removing the section of lip that rises up in the back.

Now I get that is not an option for you but that rear part of the pan is going to cause you issues regarding legroom no matter the seat you get. That's kinda what happens when you basically take 14" of legroom away.

My Deserter was much more comfortable with only a 10" cut (I think it was 10").

Flat bottom seats with the standard universal sliders will keep you as low in the body as possible. Unless you want to do some metal surgery on that rear tunnel section you aren't going to create a lot of extra legroom.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

I think what has really screwed me is the 3 inch lift.i lost an 1 1/2 on the side.i now cant move the seat over to the side ("door") as far now,unless I raise the seat 4 inches so the reclining lever,plastic covers etc clears the 3 inch body lift and the buggy lip.if I had no lift I could move the seat over towards the side ("door") more, which in turn I could go back further.they fit great until I put the lift in and lost that room on the side.i WILL be doing my frame over and floor this winter.for now I will lift the seat 3 1/2 inches to clear the side body lift so I can go back a little more.i dry fitted it again tonight.its good enough if I lift the seat 3 1/2 inches the seat clears the lift and goes back far enough to be comfortable.i am just higher up than I wanted to be.good thing the miata seats are a low bucket seat.i am glad I am not any taller!!...OR I will change my mind tomorrow and get seats that are not bulky on the sides and back area.at this point I want to secure everything and drive it!!!!...thanks guys for any input..
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

I picked these up and mounted the sliders directly to the floor. I used some 2x2 tubing to raise the front slightly and lean the seat back. With the seats all the way in the back position I can stretch my legs straight. It’s actually too far back for me so I’m farther forward and knees graze the steering wheel. I also have flat floors.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/RETRO-CLASSIC-VINTAGE-RACIN...Swr6RZm0kT

I’m 6’1”/240. The seats were snug to begin with but seemed to stretch out on the sides after a few short rides.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

sharp64 thanks.I did see a thread that u commented on about this style of seat with csnranch.i have re read that thread (post) a lot.and have been very much debating those or RZR seats.unfortunately I picked the miata.i do think I will probly end up with those.i like the rzr seats a lot but would prefer a "FULL" seat.so I will probly end up with those u suggested.i have RZR seats in my ebay cart and those seats u have in my ebay cart.i am going to hopefully make the right choice this time.thanks for your info its very important to make a decision.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

UNfortunately the ad does not give dimension of seat across back, at bottom... That is dimension you really need to know so they will go back as space in chassis narrows...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You might query seller for that dimension...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

exactly Dale!.that is the one dimension I need the most and seems that the suppliers never advertise it.i was hoping someone with these type of seats would chime in with that measuremet across the back bottom.to expensive to keep guessing and buying seats.i will send a msge now to supplier and ask.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

Here you can see how far back a PRP Roadster seat can go using the sliders and their Manx mount which I don't think is available any more.

Looks to me like the inside back of the seat is even with the Vin Number for comparison with your seats.
I'm 5' 10" and 220 lbs. and I fit fairly decently.....my legs don't hit the dash.....

I have them mounted as low as they can go and as far back without hitting the side of the tunnel.

Front of seat is even with the E-brake handle......

PRP Manx Mount.....

How to mount them as low as possible.....

I probably could have moved them back a little more if I pushed them out towards the body more but I wanted them centered in case I put a roll bar tube along the side.

PRP seats are made for up to 38 inch waists......any larger will be a tight fit as 38 is pretty snug already....

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

I really like the look of these and csnranch seems to be happy with them.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...e0#8460518
Clone bug - check your pm’s
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

Aluk I been eyeballing them seats forever.i just need to know if they r to wide.i am loosing and inch on the sides because of 3 inch lift.and am trying to get the measurement for the bottom of the seat across the rear.thanks..i have messaged a couple suppliers and left some questions on that thread.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: whats the best seat for MY LEG ROOM?.goes back the most? Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
exactly Dale!.that is the one dimension I need the most and seems that the suppliers never advertise it.i was hoping someone with these type of seats would chime in with that measuremet across the back bottom.to expensive to keep guessing and buying seats.i will send a msge now to supplier and ask.

I got some free time and took a quick measurement. Understand that the rear corners are rounded, as well as the transition from the bottom plate to the back is also somewhat rounded.... What I came up with is 14.25-14.5" approx. The outer sides of my seats are about 3/4" from the body at the closest part which is at the top of the body line. I have some more free time this week if you need some additional measurements. Unfortunately, I don't know how your body differs from mine...
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: