Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia exhaust
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blimpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Ghia exhaust Reply with quote

Hey all. Just joined up. Been a air head for many years. My question: i have a 70 ghia with a 1776 mill. i am looking for a good exhaust that I can get and NOT have to take anything off to adjust the valves. What have you guys found to be the best. I looked at A-1 but they said they didn't have a system that I could use without dropping the muffler. Someone mention Vintage Speed. Looking more towards mellow that horsepower. Any help you guys/gals could share would be absorbed with great interest!!! Thanks to all!!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

Have you seen the Trip Mil 2 tip exhaust?
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

What are the specs on your 1776? Stock heads? Heater boxes? Assuming "yes" to both, you'll be looking for a 1 3/8" exhaust that works with heater boxes. I'm partial to four-into-one extractors with dual quiet packs, but ground clearance is an issue with those. Most of the two-tip exhausts, e.g., "hot dog" and Empi GT, etc., are loud and don't particularly perform well. The Vintage Speed might be an exception, as they supposedly have a deeper, mellower tone.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

Agree, you want to match your components. With my current exhaust I dont have to remove anything for the once a year valve adjustment. I used to run a hide-away where I did, it wasnt much extra, maybe 10 minutes to remove the muffler. My new system breaths better, no obstruction of valve covers, no hitting going in driveways, works for me. I had a guy build it for me, I think I spent less the $240? It's jet coated so no maintenance. Old school duels. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

Turn them puppies up 45* & you could be sportin the first Bosozoku Ghia. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

^^Chris, then i would need diesel flaps Razz
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

I've just installed the Vintage Speed "quiet" exhaust on my stock 1641 motor and it does have a slightly deeper sound. It's not as quiet as I expected, but the fit and clearance are both good. Looks good too. Very good workmanship.

Expensive, though.
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

My A-1 Sidewinder has a V-Band so I loosen the clamp, remove a single nut and bolt and swing the muffler out of the way. Takes less than 5 minutes. Doesn't look like an after thought hanging off the back of the car. Sorry, it had to be said.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

This thread is useless without sound clips. Sad

Well OK, ... "useless" may be a bit too strong of a word, but isn't how an exhaust system sounds equally (or perhaps even more) important as how convenient it is when it comes to performing a valve job? Smile
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
This thread is useless without sound clips. :(

Well OK, ... "useless" may be a bit too strong of a word, but isn't how an exhaust system sounds equally (or perhaps even more) important as how convenient it is when it comes to performing a valve job? :)

Okay, I get it. I'll try doing one later today.
SixtyThreeRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

I don't have to remove anything to adjust my valves with my A1 Sidewinder exhaust. It's a bit in the way, but nothing I can't work around for a valve adjustment. The exhaust sounds great, and the build quality is top notch. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
This thread is useless without sound clips. :(

Well OK, ... "useless" may be a bit too strong of a word, but isn't how an exhaust system sounds equally (or perhaps even more) important as how convenient it is when it comes to performing a valve job? :)

I tried to post a video with before and after sound but can't get it to work. Sorry.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
This thread is useless without sound clips. Sad

Well OK, ... "useless" may be a bit too strong of a word, but isn't how an exhaust system sounds equally (or perhaps even more) important as how convenient it is when it comes to performing a valve job? Smile

I tried to post a video with before and after sound but can't get it to work. Sorry.
No worries, I tried to write a novel, run a half marathon and restore a Karmann Ghia once and couldn't get any of the three to work either.

Smile
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I've just installed the Vintage Speed "quiet" exhaust on my stock 1641 motor and it does have a slightly deeper sound. It's not as quiet as I expected, but the fit and clearance are both good. Looks good too. Very good workmanship.

Expensive, though.

I had one too - with pre-heat. Louder than I liked but I doubt it’s louder than anything else non-stock. I went back to stock in the end for better pre-heat and sound and everything else.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

Blimpie wrote:
Looking more towards mellow that horsepower.
A good-quality stock muffler with tapered exhaust tips will provide just what you're looking for.

xzener wrote:
Have you seen the Trip Mil 2 tip exhaust?
I tried one of these 'hotdog' mufflers and found it to be annoyingly LOUD...especially when the motor is under load at mid-to-high RPM.

tommu wrote:
I went back to stock in the end for better pre-heat and sound and everything else.
I wound up doing the same...couldn't take the harsh racket from that Tri-Mil muffler any longer. Much happier now running a stock muffler with SS tapered tips.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

How about the genuine VW of Mexico 4 into 1 exhaust? Anyone have experience with that one? https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-35067
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

For stock application, no bigger than 1600cc probably. Its 1.25inch tube. Always match your components. Smile
Blimpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
What are the specs on your 1776? Stock heads? Heater boxes? Assuming "yes" to both, you'll be looking for a 1 3/8" exhaust that works with heater boxes. I'm partial to four-into-one extractors with dual quiet packs, but ground clearance is an issue with those. Most of the two-tip exhausts, e.g., "hot dog" and Empi GT, etc., are loud and don't particularly perform well. The Vintage Speed might be an exception, as they supposedly have a deeper, mellower tone.

Hello. my motor has 044 heads and I have decided to go with j-tubes. really would like it to be more mellow than loud. My motor guy says I will need at least a 1.5 inch header. Thanks for your time and help. It is very much apericiated!
Blimpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Agree, you want to match your components. With my current exhaust I dont have to remove anything for the once a year valve adjustment. I used to run a hide-away where I did, it wasnt much extra, maybe 10 minutes to remove the muffler. My new system breaths better, no obstruction of valve covers, no hitting going in driveways, works for me. I had a guy build it for me, I think I spent less the $240? It's jet coated so no maintenance. Old school duels. Very Happy

very nice!!
Blimpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia exhaust Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

Expensive, though.

hello. do you have a picture of your set up? also where did you purchase your system? Thanks ever so much!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: