Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lourdes, the 66 Euro
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobversus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Lourdes, the 66 Euro Reply with quote

What’s up everyone, my name is Jacob and this is my 66 Euro, Lourdes.

About a month and a half or so ago i finally decided to sell my 2016 Subaru WRX and pursue a dream of owning an air cooled VW. I’ve always loved the Bug since riding in my nana’s 68 when i was very young.

So the day finally came where i decide to put the subaru on sale!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I quickly knew the first place to look was thesamba classifieds. I’ve been lurking the site for at least 10 years on and off checking to see what’s for sale and pursuing the forum. After some local searches to the Pacific Northwest, i was unhappy with the results for what i was after so i decided to broaden my horizons to the entire west coast. I quickly found this daily driver 66 Sea Blue Euro fairly conveniently located in Sacramento, Ca. I started some back and forth with Kent, the previous owner. He’s a member here, and an INCREDIBLE seller to deal with for the new-to-ACVW buyer. I sold my car four days after posting it, i had my money and was ready to buy. (photos from the ad)

After two loooooong weeks, my California raised bug had arrived in Portland, her new home. 1966 Sea Blue Euro Delivery, 1600cc single port. Mostly original, front apron was replaced due to a minor accident. It must’ve happened ages ago from looking at it. Had i not known i’d be none the wiser. No rust anywhere, and interior is in awesome condition. Headliner has no rips and seats look great.

First things first, clean her up, and snap some pics.

After driving her for about a week, it was time for some changes. The brakes need work. I did the rear drum shoes, but the front discs are warped and need replacing. They’re too worn down to be resurfaced. I did an oil change and valve adjustment as well. The oil filter was very clean and none of the gaskets were sticking to the case. The inside of the valve cover was super clean and the valve measurements weren’t off by much. Additionally i had to refinish the wheels. I took an angle grinder and wire brush wheel and grinded off all the rust and old paint. For the paint i used all duplicolor, 2 coats primer, 3 coats semi gloss black, and 2 coats glossy clear coat. Also, I’ve always loved the look of yellow headlamps, so i ordered some vinyl on amazon and installed that as well. I decided to keep the front hub caps off, i like the disc brake adapters showing.

After two sundays worth of work, she’s all polished up.

Me and the wifey took the old girl down to the local car meet after the face lift. She sure does get a lot of looks. Meets of this nature aren’t typically my style but i couldn’t help but show her off.

we also saw some other cool acvw’s.

Two days ago we took Lourdes out for a 160 mile trip on the highway. She did awesome! No issues whatsoever cursing about 60 the whole way. We had to stop off for some flicks.

I definitely have a lot of plans for the future. Immediately, i need to address the front brakes. New rotors should mend that. I need to install new parking lot lights, i have a replacement drivers side headlight trim for the dented one on the car. I’m going to switch out to swan neck mirrors then pretty much call it good for now. After a few months i’m going to invest in a 2” beam with adjusters and drop the rear another spline. The car already has 2.5” drop spindles and 1 spline drop in the rear.

I’m really excited to be apart of this community. I will take some more pics to show off the interior and other bits in the next for days. Thanks for reading.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: