Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 camper W/T
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Just picked this bus up couple weeks ago the owner called it "Charlie". I believe it to be a first year Sundial witch would be A 1963 conversion. The tent is definitely Sundial. It has a fire extinguisher dated 1963? Interior is rough but the metal is very solid and rot free. The gentleman that found it was tromping around Ransburg an old mining town in high desert California. He bought it from the owner and brought it back to Bakersfield where it sat for 10yrs in a garage. I was so stoked to be the first caller and living in Bakersfield made it a quick transaction.
Ive been saving for quite some time to get back in a bus. The goal was always to find a camper and use the hell out of it and travel up and down the California coast hitting every camp site in between. I wasn't expecting to find something of this year and in this condition. I'm super pumped to get started! Hell I had the rear fenders ordered before it even hit the garage. Lol
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Super nice find, looks dry dry dry!! Any pics of the undercarriage?

Reminds me a little of my 65 subhatch westy when I found it

Last edited by AS350driver on Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Nice looking Bus. Early walk-through too, that is cool and nice for a camper.

The Dove Blue interior paint looks mint!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

wow! great score!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Should clean up nice. Congrats.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Congratulations!! Super nice bus! There's gold hiding in them thar hills!
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Thanks for kind words! Will be posting as progress is made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Any images of the engine compartment??
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

I'll take some before I yank the motor and trans. The spark plugs were removed along time ago. The motor is locked up.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Might try putting in a few teaspoons of diesel in each cylinder to see if that loosens up if rusted there.
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Here is a shot of the awning and privacy tent. Can't say I've seen this pattern before. It's in really good condition considering. All the shower curtain style hooks are in tact on the privacy tent. The awning shows a little more wear.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Looks like a Navajo Blanket Cool Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Yeah it does. It matches the interior pretty good.
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Nice bus. I’d pretty much donate a nut for that bus.
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Doing some cleaning up and tearing out the old carpet. Surprised to see alot of the original paint. Minimal surface rust and a few small rust repairs. All though it's a great candidate for full restoration. I'm going to rock it as is. Replace some wood paneling and find a good rock and roll bed frame.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

While you are there, might as well get rid of the floor rust and use a cold galvanizing epoxy primer. That way you know it is gone and not spreading....

Wire wheel off the loose stuff and use paper towels soaked in Ospho over night to dig the rust out of the pits. Saran wrap over the areas being treated will help greatly to keep the acid from drying out before getting the de-rusting done.
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
While you are there, might as well get rid of the floor rust and use a cold galvanizing epoxy primer. That way you know it is gone and not spreading....

Wire wheel off the loose stuff and use paper towels soaked in Ospho over night to dig the rust out of the pits. Saran wrap over the areas being treated will help greatly to keep the acid from drying out before getting the de-rusting done.

Interesting never heard of that before. I'll give that some research. Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

f6fhellcat00 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Interesting never heard of that before. I'll give that some research. Thanks!

No problem! You may need to wire wheel again after wiping off the majority of the acid and letting the rest dry up. If there is still rust, treat with acid again and repeat till all rust is gone. When you are sure the rust is gone wire wheel off the dried acid ine last time and then cold galvanize it. Airgas has a good quality cold galvanizing in a spray can. Do not get the "Shiny" finish that has no info on zinc content, instead get the "Matte" finish that has a 98% zinc content. Your local shop probably will not have it, so will need to special order it. Anything with less then 85% zinc content is a waste of $$.

Course does not hurt to use a grey paint over that to help seal it from the oxygen that much more...
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

1961 Camper W/T
f6fhellcat00
Steady work on the bus. Finally took the old beam out. All new suspension components will be going back in, including a steering box refresh. I went with the CB performance 2 inch narrowed beam. Its only 30 minutes from my house. I'm running the stock 15s so it should tuck nice. I'll be doing a spindle flip as well. Its 108° out here in Bakersfield so 2 hrs a day is about all I can handle!!

f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 camper W/T Reply with quote

Sorry i haven't updated any pics. I've basically been building on this thing like mad to get on the road. Here is where it sits now with about 400 miles on motor and trans. I'm running a 1915 with dual 40 IDF Webbers with a CB Magna spark 2 electronic ignition. Straight Axle trans with a 3.88 R/P and a .89 4th. CB performance 2 inch beam and drop spindles with discs up front. All wheels are dated and matching originals. Tires are 175/55 15 up front 185/55 15 out back.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: