Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LAGrunthaner Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 18, 2007
Posts: 4490
Location: 1st Coast
LAGrunthaner is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

I was advised by a UK member on the Westfalia Splitscreen Facebook group that they really liked this seal for their poptop. I can't recall who advised, therefore my question is will I also need adhesive as the barbs appear to hold on? I struggled with the WW seals.

http://www.monkeydub-car-parts.co.uk

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
American Red Cross Safe And Well link:
https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php?...OSmeUzh8l4
Maui Roadsters VW Logo
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 18, 2007
Posts: 4490
Location: 1st Coast
LAGrunthaner is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

Found the UK member who suggested it, he said it just pushes on with no adhesive. I'll update with a picture.
_________________
American Red Cross Safe And Well link:
https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php?...OSmeUzh8l4
Maui Roadsters VW Logo
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 18, 2007
Posts: 4490
Location: 1st Coast
LAGrunthaner is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

Super happy with how easy this seal from Monkey Dub was to install compared to the WW one that I could not get on. Just push it on and you are done, no glue no tape to keep it in place and no help by an assistant absolutely nothing. I can't tell you how many times I have had this poptop on and off including all the hardware and wooden bows. Yesterday's over 100 degrees had me saying "I'll never ever own or refresh a poptop again but oddly and I can't believe I'm saying this but I have this down and I can do this entire process all over again with less whining. BTW don't loose the hold down hardware rounding them up me up to a year or 2 or 3. Next job is to borrow an electric staple gun again and staple the canvas to the wooden bows. Thanks for everyone's support I'm super proud of myself.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
American Red Cross Safe And Well link:
https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php?...OSmeUzh8l4
Maui Roadsters VW Logo
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member


Joined: May 28, 2008
Posts: 3611
Location: Five Cities, CA
easy e is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

Your top finish looks great!
Is that paint or gel coat?

Thanks for sharing the seal option.
Does the three ribbed side go inside or outside?

It looks like the spongy piece is paper thin at one spot on the single rib side.
Did you notice the thinness at the other end of the seal too?
Maybe it being thin helps it flex in one direction & seal better?
_________________
aka: Evan
Spreadsheet for Bus RPM, based on gearing & tire size (Excel format)
Searchable, click-navigable 1958 Bus Parts List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 18, 2007
Posts: 4490
Location: 1st Coast
LAGrunthaner is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

Thanks easy e, I was on such a roll in 100 degrees that I don't recall but thought about that very same thing when I lifted it up to the bus LOL. I just spoke to Ronnie of Bustoration and he suggested a thin smear of clear silicone at the top edge to keep dirt out. I will do that soon.

As for the paint I ended up using Krylon Dover White which I used on the emblem also being my painter lost my very expensive can of L82 Silver White. It turned out better than expected.

See Krylon thread here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

I had to remove the bow's and hardware so many times I can't remember but I feel great getting it done and documenting for the next guy.

As a reminder this bow goes in before the sides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I think I ordered a meter longer in case I screwed up. I believe 4 meters is enough.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.




easy e wrote:
Your top finish looks great!
Is that paint or gel coat?

Thanks for sharing the seal option.
Does the three ribbed side go inside or outside?

It looks like the spongy piece is paper thin at one spot on the single rib side.
Did you notice the thinness at the other end of the seal too?
Maybe it being thin helps it flex in one direction & seal better?

_________________
American Red Cross Safe And Well link:
https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php?...OSmeUzh8l4
Maui Roadsters VW Logo
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swiss_bulli
Samba Member


Joined: February 17, 2017
Posts: 88
Location: Switzerland
swiss_bulli is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

Great post, thanks. I will need to restore my poptop too, but still a lot of other things to fix. Another thread suggested this seal:
https://www.steelerubber.com/top-lip-push-on-seal-70-3591-99

Did you try this too? Im looking for the best option available and yours look really well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 18, 2007
Posts: 4490
Location: 1st Coast
LAGrunthaner is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

swiss_bulli the steelrubber.com was suggested to me a while back and I lost the details when I was ready to install so I received the tip on this one and found it has more rubber barbs inside and holds perfectly first time. If I have time I'll buy a piece from steelrubber.com and do a test and post.

Is this your bus? What seal is on the poptop now?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


swiss_bulli wrote:
Great post, thanks. I will need to restore my poptop too, but still a lot of other things to fix. Another thread suggested this seal:
https://www.steelerubber.com/top-lip-push-on-seal-70-3591-99

Did you try this too? Im looking for the best option available and yours look really well.

_________________
American Red Cross Safe And Well link:
https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php?...OSmeUzh8l4
Maui Roadsters VW Logo
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North


Joined: August 09, 2000
Posts: 19248
Location: Land of Whine and Phonies
crofty is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

swiss_bulli wrote:
Great post, thanks. I will need to restore my poptop too, but still a lot of other things to fix. Another thread suggested this seal:
https://www.steelerubber.com/top-lip-push-on-seal-70-3591-99

Did you try this too? Im looking for the best option available and yours look really well.


I suggested that seal. I installed it on my 65 pop top three or so years back and its held up great. Its also the correct profile.
_________________
When in doubt, logo it out!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: November 01, 2004
Posts: 12131
Location: Casa de Oro, California
BarryL is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I had to remove the bow's and hardware so many times I can't remember but I feel great getting it done and documenting for the next guy.

Whew that looks good from here. I don't have a pop top but just wondering if the rubber could be put on with the top still attached, popped up, no curtains attached at the bottom?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North


Joined: August 09, 2000
Posts: 19248
Location: Land of Whine and Phonies
crofty is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
I had to remove the bow's and hardware so many times I can't remember but I feel great getting it done and documenting for the next guy.

Whew that looks good from here. I don't have a pop top but just wondering if the rubber could be put on with the top still attached, popped up, no curtains attached at the bottom?


Absolutely.
_________________
When in doubt, logo it out!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swiss_bulli
Samba Member


Joined: February 17, 2017
Posts: 88
Location: Switzerland
swiss_bulli is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
swiss_bulli the steelrubber.com was suggested to me a while back and I lost the details when I was ready to install so I received the tip on this one and found it has more rubber barbs inside and holds perfectly first time. If I have time I'll buy a piece from steelrubber.com and do a test and post.

Is this your bus? What seal is on the poptop now?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



Yes, that is my bus. I need to update my build thread, but didnt have much time. It is completely naked now and needs to go to the shop to remove all paint and bondo.

The poptop seal is in bad shape and not a good match. Here are some photos:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 18, 2007
Posts: 4490
Location: 1st Coast
LAGrunthaner is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Late Westy Poptop Seal from Monkey Dub UK Reply with quote

swiss_bulli thanks for the detailed images, I don't know how anyone uses that trim as I was unsuccessful.

swiss_bulli wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
swiss_bulli the steelrubber.com was suggested to me a while back and I lost the details when I was ready to install so I received the tip on this one and found it has more rubber barbs inside and holds perfectly first time. If I have time I'll buy a piece from steelrubber.com and do a test and post.

Is this your bus? What seal is on the poptop now?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



Yes, that is my bus. I need to update my build thread, but didnt have much time. It is completely naked now and needs to go to the shop to remove all paint and bondo.

The poptop seal is in bad shape and not a good match. Here are some photos:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
American Red Cross Safe And Well link:
https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php?...OSmeUzh8l4
Maui Roadsters VW Logo
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB