Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat bleeder
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Thermostat bleeder Reply with quote

This has been driving me crazy even if it has not been an issue. I have searched and cannot find an answer. I know, I know, I know, this will be another stupid simpleton question.

I just changed my thermostat. System is fine, I think. However I do have these questions. Assume that the system is, in fact, totally air free. Do you leave the thermostat bleeder open all the time? Do you close it? Is righty tighty closing it or opening it? One would assume closing but . . .

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat bleeder Reply with quote

Assuming you went through the rather convoluted sequence to make sure all air is bleed out through the bleeder vent at the radiator....

Yes, this must be closed, otherwise as soon as the air is depleted it will provide a very hot stream of coolant squirting out in rather brisk fashion.

Righty-tighty.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat bleeder Reply with quote

I am not sure that it matters much as you find them turned either way. I guess I have always assumed that you turned the clockwise to close them, I have never thought to verify this when I had the lid to the thermostat housing off and could blow through it.
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat bleeder Reply with quote

Thanks Jim.

The bleeder is hosed into the loop around the top of engine compartment so it certainly does not squirt coolant into the air! I believe the shop I used (years ago) left it open, is why I ask. Seems to me generally better to leave closed but have not seen it clearly referenced.

However, it is at a high point and the other various un-valved bleeders feed into this loop so it seems intuitive that it really does not matter.

I am closing it though. Must be a reason to have a valve in the first place.

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: