Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

2010 nissan frontier ,i webt to pump some gas and as i started i noticed it was all spilling on the ground ,so i looked underneath the truck and the secondary filler neck hose (going from filler neck to tank) had been cut , so now i am left wondering what if anything i can do to deter someone from doing this again maybe some steel wrap ,kind of like the header wrap ,any ideas would be apreciated. Thanks in advance...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

You may be better off leaving the easy to cut hose there as bait, around here the bastards drill a hole in the bottom of the tank to steal the gas, a hose is much easier to replace.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Park it somewhere else.
Sometimes they just drill directly into the fuel tank, many new vehicles have plastic tanks.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

It happen while shopping somewhere last week as i park it inside on driveway next to my window ,and 25dl hose compare to what a new tank will cost ,i guess the hose bait will be better than replacing the tank .

Thanks guys

Some people just suck
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Whatever happened to the days of just shoving a hose into the fill to siphon? Are things that bad in CA that people are stealing gas now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Whatever happened to the days of just shoving a hose into the fill to siphon?

Most modern vehicles have baffles in the fuel filler stuff to deter siphoning.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You may be better off leaving the easy to cut hose there as bait, around here the bastards drill a hole in the bottom of the tank to steal the gas, a hose is much easier to replace.

Dang, I never heard of anyone doing that. Guess I'm spoiled or isolated living out in the farmlands.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Wrap the letters: G A S O L I N E and P E T R O L around the brake line. Then just wait for the dumb bastards to roll the car over themselves.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Whatever happened to the days of just shoving a hose into the fill to siphon? Are things that bad in CA that people are stealing gas now?

SOB's out here also like to chop catalytic converters off of cars, like Toyotas. Don't ask me how I know. Most scrap yards are honest but all it takes is one shady guy...
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Those spring baffles are easily defeated... Smile

And yeah, we had the cat convertor thing in the Philly area for a while, not so much now..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
2010 nissan frontier ,i webt to pump some gas and as i started i noticed it was all spilling on the ground ,so i looked underneath the truck and the secondary filler neck hose (going from filler neck to tank) had been cut , so now i am left wondering what if anything i can do to deter someone from doing this again maybe some steel wrap ,kind of like the header wrap ,any ideas would be apreciated. Thanks in advance...

California is full of animals.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

^^Ouch.

In CA when all the cat converters were being jacked (mine too) people were welding rebar cages around them to keep them from being an easy target.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Here we go Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

California is full of animals.

To whom exactly do you refer?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
SOB's out here also like to chop catalytic converters off of cars, like Toyotas. Don't ask me how I know. Most scrap yards are honest but all it takes is one shady guy...

My 2004 Frontier had its catalytic converter cut off with a battery powered sawzall before I bought it; previous owner had a universal one welded on.

My 1998 Frontier had its catalytic converter unbolted (4 bolts and nuts, not much rust here in Arizona) in my driveway a few years ago. I bought a converter from an Ebay retailer for about $130. Police told me that Nissan and Toyota converters have a special composition so bring $5 more on the criminal market, said such removal was common !!! No other Nissans or Toyotas on my street were "hit" that night. Police said trucks are more desirable targets because they sit a little higher for easier access.

Obviously, the chance of someone hearing thief or seeing thief is pretty high, a body underneath a truck at night in my driveway. Wonder if that's worth the $10 they get at a scrap yard for them.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Tape a 2o$ bill down there. And note that says, here is 20$, thanks for not drilling my fuel tank.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:
Whatever happened to the days of just shoving a hose into the fill to siphon?

Most modern vehicles have baffles in the fuel filler stuff to deter siphoning.

When my lawnmower needs gas, I'm often glad that my Thing doesn't have such a baffle! I've siphoned a little gas from the thing tank to put in my little tank for the mower more than once! Way easier than going to the gas station for a gallon of gas.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Tape a 2o$ bill down there. And note that says, here is 20$, thanks for not drilling my fuel tank.

Give the criminals the keys to your home too so they do not break the door or windows.

California is the only place in the world paying criminals not to shoot each other. Laughing I say let them shoot each other -they will cancel each other soon enough.

Use the money to clean the streets of human shit instead. Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

modok wrote:

And then they will come to expect that $20 every time they look under your vehicle. If it's not there, they'll cut it just to "learn you".

nsracing wrote:
I say let them shoot each other -they will cancel each other soon enough.

This appears to be the policy that Chicago has adopted.

nsracing wrote:

Use the money to clean the streets of human shit instead. Laughing

Yes, by ridding the streets of the scum that produces the problem. Hell, send them to Chicago... or Mexico.

Never mind, leave them right there & let them all stew in their own shit.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

Whenever I've suspected someone of syphoning gas- I first throw a lit zippo at them. Then I simply offer them an apology or marshmallows on a stick.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose was cut to siphon gas Reply with quote

State laws require Scrap yards to get a copy of the drivers liscense from anyone selling scrap, due to all the cat stealing, copper wire ripping dirtbags.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: