Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Welding in No. VA?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

I'm using a 25' 12 or 14g extension cord. Unfortunately I have no way getting the car closer to the power source and will need another 5' or so to be able to weld the driver side pieces. I could roll the car forward 3 feet but then won't have anywhere to store my engine or the welder when I'm not using it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

Get some free wood pallets to make a kind of large dog house sized storage shed with ceiling high enough for you to stand up in easily. Use it for your engine, welder and tools storage. Check Craigslist for free pier blocks for the foundation.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Get some free wood pallets to make a kind of large dog house sized storage shed with ceiling high enough for you to stand up in easily. Use it for your engine, welder and tools storage. Check Craigslist for free pier blocks for the foundation.

Sorry guys - nice idea, but *i've already* used all of the available storage space I have on our property *and* in the house. We live on a roughly 6k square foot lot, the house takes up the most usable chunk of that. The front yard is a hill, the back yard, after the patio, is a hill up into woods. There's nowhere else to store shit, I keep most of the tools in the car and take them out when I work on it.

One way or the other, I have to make this work!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

I'll bet you have a Lincoln dealer/service center near you. Drop it off to them. That's why a Lincoln costs more than a Amazon only welder.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

Take welder to the dealer and ask them to confirm if it's a piece of sh.t. or not. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Sorry guys - nice idea, but *i've already* used all of the available storage space I have on our property *and* in the house. We live on a roughly 6k square foot lot, the house takes up the most usable chunk of that. The front yard is a hill, the back yard, after the patio, is a hill up into woods. There's nowhere else to store shit, I keep most of the tools in the car and take them out when I work on it.

One way or the other, I have to make this work!

Laughing I got accosted by a sales person on the way out of a local big box store who asked “what home improvements are you planning in the near future?” and I replied on my way past, “Buy a new house.”, the looks on his face were priceless as he processed what I just said

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

I can't return it - I threw away the boxes it shipped with. I'll probably post it on Craigslist and use it until I can sell it.

Then I'll buy the Eastwood 135. Or cut my time and other losses and pay the guy from MD to do it.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

Don't get discouraged just because you haven't mastered it in a week. There is a learning curve to EVERYTHING before you become proficient at it and even longer to become a master at it. As I have said before, get some scrap pieces & practice.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

It is discouraging, but I'm not giving up, i'm just running out of time. It's been raining again since the last pictures I posted so between work and that I haven't been able to practice. At some point, I may just run out of daylight and time before fall and winter hit.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I can't return it - I threw away the boxes it shipped with. I'll probably post it on Craigslist and use it until I can sell it.

Before that find out who your local Lincoln dealer representative is, and take it to them to see if they can sort it out. We had a problem with our Hobart Handler and got a free improved replacement part that now twenty years later is still working. A good manufacture will have a representative that should solve your problem because they want folks to keep buying their products.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

Robert's Oxygen is one. The only one near me w/a service department is 50 miles away in Baltimore. Not sure if the service dept is open on Saturdays.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

My local Miller dealer offered to test out my Century so I imagine a Lincoln dealer would do the same with their own brand.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

Samba Folks -

I appreciate all of the advice given, but I've decided that I'm going to pay a pro to do all of the repairs outside of the floor. I did begin the repair of the passenger-side c-pillar and fender mount holes, but what I did looks like crap and would require A *LOT* of bondo to fix the lines of the panel. Not worth continuing, I'll just burn more good donor metal trying.

I finished the floor repairs. Ugly, but much better than when I started and they'll have to do. Battery tray's in place, heater wire guide welded back on, bigger holes and some pin holes welded shut, some I used jb weld on, etc.

My spot welds have gotten much better, but between the crappy welder, lack of skills, constant rain, electrical limitations of my house, and time, etc, I've hit the point where I have to cut my loses.

I need my time to focus on the things I can do relatively well. Put the interior back together, clean up the engine tin, get the electrical, mechanical and suspension things sorted out, etc.

Thanks again for your advice, sorry it didn't work out as hoped.

Bug On, as another Samba member is always saying!

Vνctor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Samba Folks -

I appreciate all of the advice given, but I've decided that I'm going to pay a pro to do all of the repairs outside of the floor
[.....]

I need my time to focus on the things I can do relatively well.
[....]

Bug On, as another Samba member is always saying!

Vνctor

V,
Good on you for giving it your best shot. Nothing wrong with giving anything new a good try.

As Alfred once told young Bruce Wayne:
Quote:
Why do we fall down, Master Bruce?
To learn how to pick ourselves back up.

I've 'contracted out' to a shop to handle the items on the to-do list which I'm not the best/don't have enough time or skills to do properly.

There's a certain pride in being able to say I did it myself, but I'm with you. Sometimes I'd rather just pay the pro when it's important. Could I do it myself? Sure, but it would take 10x longer, at probably 3x the cost, with subpar results, and 100x the headache/frustration.

Hang on to that welder, though. Keep messing around with it and some cheap steel plate. As Jimbo said once: "Keep on melting that metal together"

Focus on what you do best, V. Hire the pros when necessary, and most importantly:

Save the Supers!
Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Focus on what you do best, V. Hire the pros when necessary, and most importantly:

Save the Supers!
Very Happy

Amen, Brother! Pray

Blue Bug Green Bug Yellow 181 Red Bug Very Happy

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

A man has got to know his limitations!

Heard that my whole life, from my father. But he and my grandfather are also the ones that have continually pushed me further. Go figure!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
A man has got to know his limitations!

Heard that my whole life, from my father. But he and my grandfather are also the ones that have continually pushed me further. Go figure!

I got the double edged sword of advice of:

"A man has to know his limitations"

"But....."

"There's no danger of you knowing too much, just thinking that you do know too much."
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

Gee, I hate to see this thread end. I am in the middle of a similar undertaking, heater channels, both lower A pillars (hinge area), entire wheel well on drivers side, firewall, and lower panel replacements on the passenger side. I bought a new napoleon hat but decided enough is enough, I have to stop drilling spot welds and start putting things back together.This is all new to me, so I was watching how this went to try and glean what I could from the commentary.

After I test fit the door one last time, I paint everything so it doesn't rust, and start bending the wheel well to fit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Flux core welder from Home depot. Its a rebranded Lincoln, I just turn down the feed speed and voltage to keep from burning through.

Good luck with your project guy!
Marion, Iowa
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

You're a better a better man than me, Bomberbob. Looks like you also have an enclosed garage, which would have helped me immensely. Good luck and I'll follow your progress if you continue it here or elsewhere.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding in No. VA? Reply with quote

PROGRESS AT LAST!! Found a small business out of Frederick, MD who will come to your house. Here's what we accomplished today.

Fixing my handy work as much as possible.

Yes, there will be lots of bondo on this side and an imperfection that probably can't be covered up. Oh well...

Replacement fender captive bolts in place too.

Driver side -

He had an interesting way of cutting and fitting the patches. He'd cut them a little bigger than the hole, weld one of the edges in place, then form the piece and cut the other edges to fit. In a couple of spots, he would cut through the car's metal underneath for an exact fit to the patch. Seemed to work pretty well to me.

And I've got welding and finishing work that I'll have to do myself, as you can see here.

Best thing about this is that I got a really good lesson from the guy during the whole process. He even used my Lincoln for a few spots just to see if it was up to the task, and concluded it was made for this. So, as we suspected in this thread, the issue was "the welder", not the machine... Very Happy From what I observed, I was holding the tip too far from the spot, and my wire speed was almost 2 points too slow. Weather permitting, I'll tackle the rest of this tomorrow, put in the remaining patches and the captive bolts on the driver side.

6 hours, $650 including his travel time from Frederick, MD to Arlington, VA. Not money I wanted to spend, but, given the progress made, I think it was well worth it.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: