Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Favorite map/gps apps?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

Bsrad’s post below (from a different thread) motivated to try the Gaia mapping and GPS app here in the hills of SW Wisconsin on a recent visit. It works pretty darn well and is quite a bit better in some ways than the Garmin (I paid $50 for it years ago and it does some good stuff) and Google map apps that I have on my phone. The Gaia maps clearly showed dirt roads and the maps are concise, simple and clear with helpful topo lines. It seems like the kind of app that will take you down the forest service road and then on a trail hike or bike ride.

What map apps are your favorites? I’m particularly interested in maps that show secondary and tertiary roads and possibly topo lines. Something closer to a Benchmark atlas than a Google interstate map. But I’m also interested in hearing what you prefer for your needs.

bsrad wrote:

I use Gaia GPS on my phone and iPad. It has a slide bar filter that will show BLM, Forest Service, state land, state parks and so on. You can lay it over other maps likes topo or satellite image map. It’s a great app for lots of different things but this filter is extremely useful when looking for a boondock camping spot. I did sign up for the annual subscription but I don’t recall if this filter is in the standard app or the premium.

You can see by the screenshot that it has an amazing amount of different maps to choose from and filters that you can overlay on top of each other. Also in this shot you can see that the red is blm, green is forest service, and the light purple is state land.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

p.s. I’ve searched but didn’t turn up any helpful threads. I’ll be happy to read any if they can be shared. Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

I don't have a suggestion but can any of these apps operate without service once you plan your route? Would be helpful if you are out of service areas.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

This is an open source map. As people contribute routes, treks, and paths, the map itself is updated.
I use it for Geocaching in my handheld unit, and also for mountain biking.
I also upload quite often, so I am giving back as well.
So far, this hasn't let me down.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I don't have a suggestion but can any of these apps operate without service once you plan your route? Would be helpful if you are out of service areas.

Yes. (The below applies to my iPhone, other devices are a mystery to me Very Happy)

- Google: menu > offline maps > download offline maps > custom maps. Then select the map area that you want to download and save it to your device. When you are out of service the map will be preserved on your device and the device gps will track your route. You’ll also be able to view the entire map offline.

- Garmin: Garmin North America requires that you download maps. These maps are a few gigs and provide coverage for US and Canada. They provide decent detail of many forest service roads and support trip planning from a pc based app. This $50 app had value years ago due to the extensive maps but I can’t even find it on the App Store anymore.

- Gaia: I haven’t downloaded maps yet but the detail provided in a screen shot is much better than the above. I enjoy reading maps and these appear to be maps that help make that a fun activity.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

I use Google maps and think it is awesome but I wish I understood how to use it better. The offline feature is a mixed bag for me. Half the time I get into the area I want to explore I don't have a signal and the offline map I tried to download doesn't seem to be working or is at a crappy resolution.

I use the satellite images which are great for finding camp spots and overgrown syncro roads. It save me a lot of time going down some spur that doesn't go anywhere interesting. And it shows my current location so I don't miss turn offs. But I hardly ever use it on paved roads. It sucks that they really only want you to use the live version of anything. An app that dowloaded all the Google maps data for a large area would be ideal. Realistically the data doesn't need to be refreshed very often. I have downloaded through my data plan maps and I worry that I am sucking up a lot of data doing that, but the satellite maps that you can zoom in on showing the hills and trees and old fire rings and car tire tracks are awesome.
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

for fully offline maps that are free, the best I've found is maps.me It doenst have topo but has trails, parks, and roads. Also turn by turn directions. You can download states/provinces/countries and then it all works offline, even the turn by turn. Pretty great to go all the way from canada to baja with offline gps on the phone. Does anyone know of a good topo app that is offline/downloadable?

I just checked out Gaia and it seems awesome, but it doesnt look like you can download maps? Need to have service?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

It looks like Gaia requires $19.99/year to download maps. I’ll keep playing with it to see if it’s worth a try.

Abscate wrote:

T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

Look at MotionX GPS if you use Apple devices.

https://gps.motionx.com

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

rfoubi wrote:
for fully offline maps that are free, the best I've found is maps.me It doenst have topo but has trails, parks, and roads. ...

Thanks for that, I just downloaded it. No satellite images but I'll keep it for a backup.[/u]
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

Sorry. Late to the party...

Yes Gaia maps can be downloaded for offline use. I’ve downloaded all my local areas and they are always there when I head out beyond coverage. One of my favorite features is that filter system that I mentioned in the other thread. To have the ability to have a Forest Service/topo as your base, and then through on top of that a satilite image or a “motor vehicle use map”. As you can see from that screen shot you can control the amount that shows up over the top of your base map.

Jim, the detail of those map for the type of roads that you are looking for are great. We have had great success planning routes and tracks from the app. Last summer we went from up here in north idaho to Denver and back. Built the whole track right on the app. Built it on my iPad and it automatically transfers to my phone as well. On that screen shot for that other post, we were in Jackson WY and heading south. We knew we were going to drive another few hours then want to camp. I just turned up the lands filter and followed our track until I saw that we were driving through some BLM land right on the Green river. Dropped a pin, and headed down the road. Very useful for that kind of thing. I mix in the use of the iOverlander app for finding camp spots. Those two apps work great together for that.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite map/gps apps? Reply with quote

Hey Jim,
I got this in an email from GAIA GPS, I havent checked it out yet, but it indicates how to do the offline map thing:

Download Maps for Offline Use

This video explains a core ability of Gaia GPS, how to download maps on iPhone. If you use an Android device, click here to watch an Android specific tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaM39xMqpwU&fe...-114625885
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: