Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight wiring check my wiring and another question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Headlight wiring check my wiring and another question Reply with quote

Okay, I have my driving light bulbs from WWest and am ready to install my headlights. Can someone double check my wiring and I have a question.
I am using a new ‘67 Wiring Works harness and I have ‘66 fenders with shaved turn signals.
Followed another post where he put blinkers behind grills.

Left:
Headlights-
Yellow-low beam
White-high beam
Brown-ground (should I run this back to the fuse box to a common ground?)
Blinker:
Blk/wht-ground
Grey-positive on fuse box
Now my questions are:
On the diagram it has “running lights” which I assume it’s the small bulbs forward of the headlights.
It shows wht/blk running lights and wht/red running lights. So those wires come from the fuse box to the small bulb positive and then I ground the other side of the bulb to ground?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring check my wiring and another question Reply with quote

the running lights are grounded to the body thru the socket, these lights are also called parking lights. So one wire to the bulb. one wire would be for left, other for right. The running lights on the 67 are dual filament and also serve as turn lights via the second filament, that is why the 67 has two wires to the light bulb on the fender top, one for running or parking filament, on for the turn filament. Both filaments are grounded to the body via the socket.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug66.jpg

good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring check my wiring and another question Reply with quote

It’s over 100 here today so it will have to wait for another day. Went out for a bit to mess with it and .....
Nah. Maybe Tuesday when I’m off.
I think I’ve got it but not sure until I have my wires all laid out.
Thanks!
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring check my wiring and another question Reply with quote

Feeling the heat here too! When it cools down, here are a few tips I hope will help.

Brown headlight wires go through the rubber conduit then should have ring terminals and sheet metal screw to ground on the inner fenders. I'll look for a pic to edit in.

"Runnings lights" in your above example refer to the tail lights.
White/black left, white/red right.

The front "running lights" aka parking lights, which are not shown in your diagram, should both have plain grey wires.

Your WW/WW diagram is known as a "pictorial" diagram, but remember your harness is a copy of the OG harness, so I would suggest also referring to the factory "schematic" diagram for better details.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring check my wiring and another question Reply with quote

VW used yellow for low beam and white for high beam FYI.

From a functional standpoint it doesn't matter, the electricity doesn't know what color the wire is, however from a future troubleshooting standpoint (whether it be you or some future owner), using the same color coding as on the VW wiring diagrams will be very helpful.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring check my wiring and another question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
VW used yellow for low beam and white for high beam FYI.

From a functional standpoint it doesn't matter, the electricity doesn't know what color the wire is, however from a future troubleshooting standpoint (whether it be you or some future owner), using the same color coding as on the VW wiring diagrams will be very helpful.

Fixed! Thank you sir!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring check my wiring and another question Reply with quote

Ok, bringing this back from the dead because I have my headlights ready to install and my wires run through the tube into the headlight bucket. Wiring harness is a 1967 and the fenders and headlights are 1966. I bought 4” square amber turn signal lights to mount behind the grills. So I have the small running lights inside the headlights and the amber lights to wire up.
I need some recommendations/suggestions on what to do here.
I have spare single filament and dual filament bulbs also. Someone mentioned the front fender “might” block some of the view of the turn signals...
I have:
Left:
Grey-fuse box?
Blk/Wht-ground to brown?

Right:
Grey-fuse box?
Blk/Grn-ground to brown?

What about my turn signals wiring?
Also, my headlights are rings are really tight fitting over the edges of the bucket when installing them. Should I trim the edges or bend them in slightly? They are already painted (mistake on my part) and don’t really want to mess up my paint:(

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: