Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bombay or Go Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Go Westy's top lift strut kit is currently out of stock so I am looking at Jack Bombay's kit. I am in no big rush so should I wait for the Go Westy kit or is Jack's just as good?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Bombay. Less invasive and works well.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

We use both so it depends on how much weight you're lifting.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Most likely a canoe or kayak, 100 lbs give or take. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

I went with Jack's -- no drilling to install, works great (many years now).

You will want advice from those lifting loads as to how strong a strut you want to use.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

I bought and loved Jack Bombay. In addition to the three strengths of struts he sells (60, 90 and 120 psi) one can get a150 psi strut if you put way too much stuff on the roof.

Jack Bombay’s struts installed in 30 minutes? 60 max and that’s goofing around. They only require that you drill one hole per side. GW struts require a bit more work.

If I had to do it over I’d do the same thing.

Lotsa weight (8 towers, 4 bars, box, basket, etc.) Bombay struts with 150 psi struts (bought on Amazon for $30?)..,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

I put a Bombay kit on my Bus. I don't know why he doesn't seem to advertise that he's got em for the Buses, but he does.

I used the HD struts for when I've got the canoe up there. I take them off when it is unloaded, as they seem to push out on the fiberglass a little.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

I used JB's for a long time but had constant problems with one of the struts popping off when I'd close it. JB was very supportive via email and said it was due to the bolts from my rain gutters, but that wasn't the case. It's a very well-designed product but I couldn't figure out why I was having this problem.

I ended up buying the GoWesty kit and installing it, and it works fine. It's definitely more intrusive due to the holes and rivnuts, but it also seems more stable towards the front of the top due to its mounting position.

What I came to find out is the base of one of my push bars was loose. Every time I went to lift or close the top, the passenger's side base of the push bar would move about a half-inch either forward or back and make the top open and close unevenly, making a JB strut pop off. Duh.

So, having used both, I can say that they're both great products. JB's is a quicker, cleaner install and is less expensive to boot.

Had I paid more attention to everything that was happening with the lifting mechanism, I'd probably still be using JB's; however, since I went through the trouble of drilling, I'm using GW and it has worked fine.

TLDR: I'm an idiot and Jack Bombay makes a great product that is less expensive and easier to install.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Go with Mark's Jack Bombay product! Its easy to install, it works really well and he's a Sambanista, too!!! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
Most likely a canoe or kayak, 100 lbs give or take. Thanks
Agree with above, "Jack" is a great guy in our community and really deserves our support.

Okay, with just the 90 lb. Jack's it's perfect to easily -- almost automatically -- lift an empty roof.

We have a 62 lb. Yakima with about 120 lbs. or a bit more in it, so added the GW 160s. Perfect lift amount for our load.

Know if you have too much lift it's really hard to pull back down!!!

— Colin Chapman
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

JB!
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
Go Westy's top lift strut kit is currently out of stock so I am looking at Jack Bombay's kit. I am in no big rush so should I wait for the Go Westy kit or is Jack's just as good?
Thanks

Love the JB's! I got the dual kit so can swap out if needed for varying load weights.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

We’ve got Jack Bombay’s struts on our Westy - nothing on the roof (yet) so went with the lighter struts.

Best part, we were traveling through Utah and queried how we might arrange a spot to ship them too - turned out he was working a job on our route - invited us to stop in and pick them up. We did and to our surprise he installed them right then and there. In less than 10 minutes (I think he’s had some practice Very Happy )

Great product and great guy. Highly recommend.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

I bought the JB dual shocks and only use the HD struts. With only the Yakima bars and Skybox 18 on top, it provides a nice automatic lift. I can get the top down without any trouble. However, with my box loaded with about 130 lbs, it wasn’t quite up to the task of lifting the top. If I were to add a kayak or SUP, in addition to my camping load, I think I’d need additional assist, so I am considering adding the GW struts as well.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Another vote for the jack Bombay struts, I've fitted both, and prefer his.

619 201 0310
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

The GoWe$ty struts are a near copy of the factory struts, there is a picture in the ETKA. The Bombays are a little easier to install I guess, but not by much. For a really heavy roof the combination of the two is nice. My thought is that the Bombay style stresses the roof if the roof is loaded heavier toward the front. A final though, shoulhn't the top be supported by the available brackets that rest on the gutters. It is asking a lot of the latch and seals to support the heavier loads especially over rough terrain and strong winds?
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies ordered the JB lift struts today.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Right call made, we gotta support the good guys.

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

Whenever Jack Bombay is mentioned (I purchased and am very pleased with his shock kit BTW) my mind always jumps to Dr Bombay (Bernard Fox) on the old TV show Bewitched.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bombay or Go Westy Reply with quote

That's hilarious, same here.

Just saw him as a handyman on Andy Griffith a few nights back, but was far more enlivened by cousin Sabrina. Embarassed

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: