Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Hey gang,

After working relentlessly for 5 days on my 1973 standard beetle brakes, I still have no working brakes. I have scoured the posts on here and am still reading up, but haven't exactly found a post describing my condition.

My brake pedal goes completely to the floor even after numerous bleeding trials. I can get air and fluid out of the bleeder valves and because of such, I have to refill my reservoir with fluid.

Each time I open the lid to the reservoir, it makes a hissing sound, such as pressure being relieved. Because of this, I removed the supply lines to the Master cylinder from the reservoir, and fluid will not flow. The lines are free, but it seems as though the reservoir is holding a vacuum or some sorts.

At this point I am at a loss. Any Info is greatly appreciated!
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

I've also adjusted the pedal freeplay via the adjustment rod, and adjusted my star adjusters out until the drums are tight.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

shiskabobnut wrote:
Hey gang,

After working relentlessly for 5 days on my 1973 standard beetle brakes, I still have no working brakes. I have scoured the posts on here and am still reading up, but haven't exactly found a post describing my condition.

My brake pedal goes completely to the floor even after numerous bleeding trials. I can get air and fluid out of the bleeder valves and because of such, I have to refill my reservoir with fluid.

Each time I open the lid to the reservoir, it makes a hissing sound, such as pressure being relieved. Because of this, I removed the supply lines to the Master cylinder from the reservoir, and fluid will not flow. The lines are free, but it seems as though the reservoir is holding a vacuum or some sorts.

At this point I am at a loss. Any Info is greatly appreciated!

Perhaps a 'dumb' question, but it is necessary for clarity:

When bleeding the brakes, do you allow the reservoir to run dry? If so, this introduces air back into the system every time. Hence continued air bubbles as well as crap brake pedal.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Great thought, but absolutely not. I make sure to keep an eye on the reservoir so it doesn't run dry. I barely let it get below half full before I top it up again. Each time I remove the lid I get the dreaded hissing sound.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

What kind of lid does the reservoir have . Can you get a picture
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

shiskabobnut wrote:
Each time I open the lid to the reservoir, it makes a hissing sound, such as pressure being relieved.

I think you're actually hearing air rushing in. I think the vent in your reservoir cap is plugged up.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

I haven't changed the cap, but it seriously seems like the same exact cap that comes off of the brake fluid bottle. It literally fits the bottle and the reservoir. Flat black cap.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

This is the reservoir cap you should have.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611351
In the meantime, maybe try bleeding with the cap off?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
This is the reservoir cap you should have.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611351
In the meantime, maybe try bleeding with the cap off?

Yes, try bleeding with the cap off, and threading it on LOOSELY for a test drive.

You seem to volunteer that you're using an inappropriate cap.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

UPDATE:

After making a makeshift vent in the incorrect cap, I am now able to gain some pedal pressure. However, this is only after a couple of pedal pumps. (the first pump goes to the floor)

I have about a half pedal's worth of pressure. To obtain this, when bleeding the brakes, I have to open the bleeder then almost IMMEDIATELY tighten or else it sucks the fluid back into it. It's like the whole system has a vacuum in it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Are the brake shoes adjusted properly?

Might want to try adjusting each wheel till it is locked up by both shoes, then bleed the brakes. Afterwards, readjust to slight drag.

Did you check the master cylinder push rod adjustment. If it is sloppy, you might only be actively pushing one side of the cylinder.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

All adjustment stars are adjusted full out. (the drums are locked)

I adjusted the pushrod travel to about 1/4 of an inch of freeplay at the top of the pedal. (it used to have over 1''!)

It is the dual-circuit system. I've tried starting the bleed process at the front and at the rear. Doesn't seem to make a difference in pedal feel. (the current status was achieved through starting at the rear)
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Sounds like a faulty hose (interior delamination) or a bad master cylinder, improperly installed seals. My money is on the master cylinder. As per the chart. #2!

Here is a chart straight out of the Bently manual.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have a homemade set of threaded plugs for the master cylinder. They allow me to remove the lines and completely isolate the master cylinder. Once isolated, I bleed it. After bleeding, it either holds a perfect pedal or fails.

If it passes, I add the front brakes in, one side at a time. Bleeding each one after connecting it. Testing each time, checking for proper pedal. If that passes, onto the rear brake line.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

The above post is good . Since you had adjusted it a lot , have you rechecked the push rod play. It may have changed after you started pumping the system up.
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

So after much messing about, I now have a leaking master cylinder on the inside behind the pedal. Initially I had replaced the MC, but am now in need of another replacement.

Once I have replaced the cylinder, I'll post another update. Thanks for the help so far!

If at first you don't succeed...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Get a correct cap for the reservoir while you're at it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

If I may, I bookmarked this method VW_Jimbo uses for reference if I ever have a mysterious brake bleeding/pedal issue

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Take a threaded plug, threaded like the flared nuts on the line into the master. Thread 3 of them in place of the lines. Bleed the master. Have someone pump up the pressure, hold their foot on the pedal, as you loosen the previously installed nuts.

Does the master hold pressure?

No, replace master. Bleed. Retest.
Yes, attach one front and bleed. Hold pressure?

No, replace wheel cylinder or hose or both and retest.
Yes, attach the other front and bleed. Hold pressure?

Yes, attach the rear line and bleed. Hold pressure?

No, disconnect from wheel cylinder and cap. Bleed brakes.
Hold pressure?

No, replace T at line intersection or tighten fittings. Also replace hoses. Test again.
Yes, replace both wheel cylinders and retest.

If you go any further, you are on your own! Maybe get a different car, swap out parts and retest!

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
If I may, I bookmarked this method VW_Jimbo uses for reference if I ever have a mysterious brake bleeding/pedal issue

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Take a threaded plug, threaded like the flared nuts on the line into the master. Thread 3 of them in place of the lines. Bleed the master. Have someone pump up the pressure, hold their foot on the pedal, as you loosen the previously installed nuts.

Does the master hold pressure?

No, replace master. Bleed. Retest.
Yes, attach one front and bleed. Hold pressure?

Yes, attach the other front and bleed. Hold pressure?

Yes, attach the rear line and bleed. Hold pressure?

No, disconnect from wheel cylinder and cap. Bleed brakes.
Hold pressure?

No, replace T at line intersection or tighten fittings. Also replace hoses. Test again.
Yes, replace both wheel cylinders and retest.

If you go any further, you are on your own! Maybe get a different car, swap out parts and retest!

If only I could have drawn out a flow chart, like the old GM service code light flow charts. Those things were awesome!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

After replacing the master cylinder again, along with the main steel line running to the rear of the car, I have half a brake pedal. Halfway down, the pedal is solid as a rock. The first half is mushy, and I have to "pump" to get them up to pressure.

If I wait 10 seconds, the pedal travels back to the solid halfway point. After pumping, the first half is solid. The rear of the system has totally been replaced.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to try.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

shiskabobnut wrote:
After replacing the master cylinder again, along with the main steel line running to the rear of the car, I have half a brake pedal. Halfway down, the pedal is solid as a rock. The first half is mushy, and I have to "pump" to get them up to pressure.

If I wait 10 seconds, the pedal travels back to the solid halfway point. After pumping, the first half is solid. The rear of the system has totally been replaced.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to try.

this is an indication you still have air in the system, if pedal is firm after pumping, that is indication you have NO leak.

please try bleeding air again on all four wheels, start with wheel furthest from master working up to closest. ie rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver sides.

make sure the fluid level stays above the outlet in the reservoir the entire time, make sure fluid pour from bottle to reservoir is NOT shaken as that creates air bubbles in it.
enlisting a helper to pump pedal as you open and close valve may help a lot. open valve on pedal down stroke, a slow steady stroke, shut off valve when pedal is down, then pedal up, start down stroke again as valve is opened, repeat as needed. have a clear hose on bleeder nipple into clear jar with hose submerged in fluid. note when bubbles no longer flow thru hose. It is important to close valve on the down stroke to avoid air ingress at end of stroke via the valve threads. alternatively have help press hard on pedal with valve closed, and with pedal pressed hard, crack open valve, then shut again as pedal goes down.
you may habe to repeat this several times to get all air out.

air is all out once pedal is firm without repeat pumping.

Bug On, Stop Sure!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: