Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
shiskabobnut wrote:
After replacing the master cylinder again, along with the main steel line running to the rear of the car, I have half a brake pedal. Halfway down, the pedal is solid as a rock. The first half is mushy, and I have to "pump" to get them up to pressure.

If I wait 10 seconds, the pedal travels back to the solid halfway point. After pumping, the first half is solid. The rear of the system has totally been replaced.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to try.

this is an indication you still have air in the system, if pedal is firm after pumping, that is indication you have NO leak.

please try bleeding air again on all four wheels, start with wheel furthest from master working up to closest. ie rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver sides.

make sure the fluid level stays above the outlet in the reservoir the entire time, make sure fluid pour from bottle to reservoir is NOT shaken as that creates air bubbles in it.
enlisting a helper to pump pedal as you open and close valve may help a lot. open valve on pedal down stroke, a slow steady stroke, shut off valve when pedal is down, then pedal up, start down stroke again as valve is opened, repeat as needed. have a clear hose on bleeder nipple into clear jar with hose submerged in fluid. note when bubbles no longer flow thru hose. It is important to close valve on the down stroke to avoid air ingress at end of stroke via the valve threads. alternatively have help press hard on pedal with valve closed, and with pedal pressed hard, crack open valve, then shut again as pedal goes down.
you may habe to repeat this several times to get all air out.

air is all out once pedal is firm without repeat pumping.

Bug On, Stop Sure!

This is incorrect for a dual master cylinder! Shame on you

It's been covered in the manuals and multiple threads here on the Samba.
I won't repeat the reasons because a simple search will spell it out.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

vernonc wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
shiskabobnut wrote:
After replacing the master cylinder again, along with the main steel line running to the rear of the car, I have half a brake pedal. Halfway down, the pedal is solid as a rock. The first half is mushy, and I have to "pump" to get them up to pressure.

If I wait 10 seconds, the pedal travels back to the solid halfway point. After pumping, the first half is solid. The rear of the system has totally been replaced.

this is an indication you still have air in the system, if pedal is firm after pumping, that is indication you have NO leak.

please try bleeding air again on all four wheels, start with wheel furthest from master working up to closest. ie rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver sides.

make sure the fluid level stays above the outlet in the reservoir the entire time, make sure fluid pour from bottle to reservoir is NOT shaken as that creates air bubbles in it.
enlisting a helper to pump pedal as you open and close valve may help a lot. open valve on pedal down stroke, a slow steady stroke, shut off valve when pedal is down, then pedal up, start down stroke again as valve is opened, repeat as needed. have a clear hose on bleeder nipple into clear jar with hose submerged in fluid. note when bubbles no longer flow thru hose. It is important to close valve on the down stroke to avoid air ingress at end of stroke via the valve threads. alternatively have help press hard on pedal with valve closed, and with pedal pressed hard, crack open valve, then shut again as pedal goes down.
you may habe to repeat this several times to get all air out.

air is all out once pedal is firm without repeat pumping.

Bug On, Stop Sure!

This is incorrect for a dual master cylinder! Shame on you

It's been covered in the manuals and multiple threads here on the Samba.
I won't repeat the reasons because a simple search will spell it out.

mort

I checked some manuals for the Bugs. The manuals do not agree. My Blue Bentley Bug manual (thru 1969) says to do rears first even for dual circuit Bugs.

But the orange Bentley Bug manual (After 69) says like you say. It is the only one stating to do front first Shocked
Even the Muir Book, 1977 edition tells me to do the rears first. The orange Bentley is the exception.

Vendors list the same master for 67 thru 77 Bugs which is interesting given the different bleeding methods between 69 and 70 Bugs per the Bentleys.

I have bleed a dual 1970 Bug cylinder as I stated, and it worked fine, all air removed, firm pedal.

my Bentely Vanagon manual for dual circuit says to to it like I stated, My manuals for Porches with dual circuits, my jeep, Ford Explorer, and Triumph with dual circuit brakes all tell me to do it rears first. But sure enough the orange Bentley has it doing front first. I had assumed it was the same as the other dual and single circuit cars. Very interesting. Now I know, thanks!!!

I did do a simple search as you suggested, "brake bleeding" titles only for late Bug forum. got 115 threads, 100s of posts.

Will you please briefly enlighten us as to the reason why this is recommended or link to that post you refer to? Id prefer not to read thru 100s of posts to find out why. I am most curious about this. And why would 67 thru 69 dual circuit Bugs have a different procedure than 70 on up Bugs, despite same master cylinder? Popcorn

Perhaps there is a very good reason for this, or its a typo in the Orange Bentley?

at anyrate with the conflicting info in the Bentleys as far as dual circuits go, and the fact that doing rears first on my 1970 Bug did work fine, I suspect a typo, but who knows, maybe there is good reason???

If anyone knows, please reply.

Thanks again!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Find the one man bleeder, They sell them at carquest. Daniel Folts does a lot of prep on off-road race cars that have 2 reservoirs and bleeding the air can be impossible. You use 2 of them, Right side of car front and rear then left side. They let no air in the system but you can see the bubbles coming out of the w/c's. He let me borrow them and was the best. I own a vacuum bleeder and I wont be using it anymore.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

shiskabobnut wrote:

Sounds to me like the shoes are not tight enough.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

My blue Bentley (Official Service Manual...Beetle and Karmann Ghia 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969) says "When bleeding both circuits of the dual-circuit brake system, always start with the front one."

This makes sense because there is a spring between the two pistons in the master cylinder; the rear most one for the rear brakes and the front most one for the front brakes. If the shoes are adjusted 'tight' and all the air bleed from the rear circuit, there will be 'very little movement' of the rear piston when the pedal is depressed. Therefore, when trying to bleed the front, if there is very little movement of the rear piston, it cannot (via the spring between the pistons) push the forward piston sufficiently to expel fluid or air from the system. A little perhaps but not much.

However, if there is air in both circuits and the fronts bled first, the rear piston can move 'full stroke' thus pushing the forward piston 'full stroke' (via the spring between) thus pushing both fluid and air from the system. Once done, the spring between the two pistons will allow the rear piston to move 'full stroke' thus pushing both fluid and air from the rear circuit.

I hope I've explained this clearly enough to be understood.

Of course the drawback to this method is that all shoes must be tight or, at least, very close to the drums and it takes two persons to execute.

Personally, I use a Motive Power Bleeder and none of this is required.

Hope this helps.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent info.

I guess I got away with doing rears first cause usually the shoes Id tighten last, after all the fluid was purged of air. But doing fronts first does make sense now given your excellent explanation.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

The bleeding order is bull sh.t.
I get better results from doing the closest wheel first and work to the furthest.

The far biggest brake system issue is air trapped in the master cylinder. Fluid will go right past parts where air is trapped like the rear part of the rear master cylinder bore because it cant bottom out in that bore. There is a rod that limits its stroke.
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Still having issues. Just to recap:

Replaced the master cylinder twice.

Replaced ALL existing lines, rubber and steel.

Adjusted brake pedal freeplay from over 1'' of play, to 1/4'' of play at the top of pedal.

Tried bleeding from front to back, as well as back to front, doesn't seem to make a difference. I still only have half a pedal.

I will try relieving pressure from the rear circuit, and bleeding the front first. The back seems to bleed but the front doesn't. I'll try anything!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

shiskabobnut wrote:
Still having issues. Just to recap:

Replaced the master cylinder twice.

Replaced ALL existing lines, rubber and steel.

Adjusted brake pedal freeplay from over 1'' of play, to 1/4'' of play at the top of pedal.

Tried bleeding from front to back, as well as back to front, doesn't seem to make a difference. I still only have half a pedal.

I will try relieving pressure from the rear circuit, and bleeding the front first. The back seems to bleed but the front doesn't. I'll try anything!

defect in reservoir or master plastic nipples or rubber stoppers could be letting air into the system. try swapping the reservoir hoses on the master, so front reservoir feeds back master inlet. that will move problem to rear brakes from front if the reservoir or its hose is at fault. examine the masters rubber stoppers and inlet elbows for fit, cracks, other defects.

if still not resolved, cap off one side of front brakes at master with an appropriate plug, and see if you can get air out. if still air trapped, try plugging other side. this will isolate left and right sides of front for trouble shooting.

Bug On!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

You are getting no fluid out of the front cylinders?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

I will try swapping the feeder hoses to the master cylinder from reservoir.

I get some fluid from the front bleed screws along with much air. Never seems to be a steady push of fluid from the front screw.
shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

The feeder hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder connects to the plastic nipples via a short piece of rubber tubing. This tubing connects to a metal line running up to the reservoir.

This Rubber Tube-Metal Line connection is a little loose. Could this be the culprit? How would this be any different than bleeding the system with the cap removed from the reservoir?

EDIT: I understand the system needs to be entirely closed, I assumed the feed hoses were gravity fed. Meaning they didn't have to be perfect, as long as the fluid would flow through to the master cylinder.

Last edited by shiskabobnut on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

shiskabobnut wrote:
The feeder hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder connects to the plastic nipples via a short piece of rubber tubing. This tubing connects to a metal line running up to the reservoir.

This Rubber Tube-Metal Line connection is a little loose. Could this be the culprit? How would this be any different than bleeding the system with the cap removed from the reservoir?

Yes this could be the problem, it may allow air to get into the master. Id fix the loose connection and try bleeding again. a loose cap, and the cap by the way IS vented via a pin hole, is different, the cap is above the fluid level, but a loose hose here could draw in air to mix with the fluid as the fluid is pulled into the master.

I hope this is it and you can get your Bug back on the road soon.

Good Luck, Bug On!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

There are three segments of brake fluid rated hose on both of the reservoir lines. You need to change them all.

Also, remove the reservoir and clean it out, with soap and water.

Remember, brake fluid is hygroscopic, so if you spill any wash it off very quickly with water.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

new hose may be inorder, and assuming all are same age, wise to change them all, but for a test, maybe try a hose clamp on the loose end(s) and see if she bleeds correctly. however if hose is really rotted, it may be leaky at places other than only the connection.
If the hose clamp fixes it, then you should replace them anyway, as looseness is an indication the hose is failing.

bug on!

ps Or you could swap the front and rear hose from reservoir at the master and see if the master front now bleeds correctly, if so, then the hose is very likely the problem.

shiskabobnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

After replacing the hoses connecting the Reservoir down to the Master Cylinder, I have determined I do not have front brakes. After proper bleeding, and proper adjustment of the shoes, I can still turn the drum after the brakes are applied.

I haven't changed the front wheel cylinders, but every other part in the system has been replaced. The cylinders aren't leaking.
cocacoladodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Apologies up front, but I'm getting a little off your topic with my own...

In my Bradley GT (kitcar) I changed my rear drums out for disk a couple years ago, and still have drums up front now. I have changed the brake pressure sensor multiple times now, but still have to push the brake petal in as far as I can in order to barley get the lights to come on... I understand that the drum and disk combo does take a funkey PSI difference, but the brakes work great... is there some sensor that takes lower PSI to activate or should I look into a different master cylinder?

Thanks, Bob
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

cocacoladodge wrote:
In my Bradley GT (kitcar) I changed my rear drums out for disk a couple years ago, and still have drums up front now.

OK, just can't figure out why one would do this....

cocacoladodge wrote:
I have changed the brake pressure sensor multiple times now, but still have to push the brake petal in as far as I can in order to barley get the lights to come on... Thanks, Bob

1. Did you manually adjust the front drum brakes tight?
2. Did you bleed the brakes all around after that?
3. People here complain all the time about poor-quality brake switches...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

put a hose on each bleeder, run it in to a small bottle of brake fluid. Then bleed your lines.

You will chase your ass in circles if you try to bleed without the end of the bleeder hose immersed in fluid.
cocacoladodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Brake System Pressure/Bleeding Troubles Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies.

Why the back first, that's where the majority of the weight is and also the power... The front only would have just skidded since its so light, additionally the extra weight of the drums is about the only weight factor for the front end. So that's the reason for the drum front disk rear.

Yes I have correctly bleed out the brakes, with the help of another friend who has a few Manx buggies. He is stumped as well.

The only idea I have left if there is not a low pressure sensor is to change the master cylinder to the single output, and put in a distribution block, but I have more faith in the dual units than I do the single.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: