Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Just recently bought this 63 model, November 62 built squareback into UK from Texas, known car on here already i’m sure as it was for sale on here.

I have bought it as a surprise for my wife to replace the 58 Karmann kabriolett Bug of hers we sold due to our daughter being born. So my plan is to build this car and then we have a more family friendly car that is very cool still Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since collecting it from the docks I have just been going through it to see what is missing and sorting out some minor bits before I pull it apart to do the welding. My first thought was is the original seat material really under the random covers it has on it. To my surprise yes, the rear seat is incredible and the passenger isn’t too bad, but the drivers seat has been attacked and will def need some repairs and new material.

I know I need to find one euro headlight, and some suitably aged lenses for front indicator and euro rear light, I won’t be keeping the red one side and amber the other Laughing

Removed the incorrect bonnet trim too

It has no keys so I removed all the locks and they had matching codes so I will get one cut for that but my understanding is type 3’s had a different code for ignition. So my question is how do I remove the ignition to get the code?

Few more pics of it as a complete car before work begins. I have a new pair of pan halves ready to go in as the floors are flintstone style at the moment Smile

Wish me luck, hopefully can get it done to surprise my wife in a nice way!

RSVP VW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

So glad that car got into the right hands. I'm sure your wife will be delightfully surprised. Cool to see an early variant parked next to a BD.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

nice car, please keep this thread updated!

on early cars I believe the key code is on the turn signal arm if it's original. probably an H and 4 digit (I think) number. Once you remove the steering wheel you should see it. That's if it's original... a replacement or later one it would be on the switch...
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
nice car, please keep this thread updated!

on early cars I believe the key code is on the turn signal arm if it's original. probably an H and 4 digit (I think) number. Once you remove the steering wheel you should see it. That's if it's original... a replacement or later one it would be on the switch...

Oh wow that would make it easier if it is, def all looks original, and as the car was with the 2nd owner until last year it stands a chance it’s never been changed. I started trying to take it apart but gave up and thought I’d ask on here. I shall take a look again thank you.

RSVP VW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Great to hear it arrived safely! Fun project for your wife too.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Nice find and now its across the pod. Plans on the patina???

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Nice find and now its across the pod. Plans on the patina???

Yes now tucked up in my workshop here in the UK. Was a Euro car that was taken over to the US with its first owner, that person then sold it in 1969 to the second owner in New Mexico, who it stayed with until last year.

Patina is staying, why would anyone want to get rid of that Laughing
I will have to do some blending work where the repairs are and the drivers rear fender is pretty crap, clearly been hit and repaired badly at some point in its life.

It’s a numbers matching car which is cool, so the 1500 will be gone through and reinstalled. Repair the original interior as best as possible. I do have both grey armrest/door pulls for the doors, they are just not installed. Car will be lowered, sorry to those who would like to see it stock stock, but I like them low. Anyone who knows of our club RSVP will know how we run our cars Smile
First task is to get the body off to repair the floorpan. And do the repairs on the body and fenders, holes in doors etc.

Excited to get it done, haven’t had a type 3 in years, and strangely my last one was a pearl white 62 built one too Smile A May 62 Notch.

RSVP VW
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Very Nice..........
cant go wrong with an early square.......
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks all Very Happy

Now found the Ignition code engraved in the indicator arm, thank you for that info, glad I haven’t got to pull it apart any further..... yet! Fingers crossed the barrel has never been changed and the code works.

RSVP VW
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing what you do. I had my chance to buy this one here in New Mexico. It was above out of my league, but I really loved it. That patina is like bringing a big piece of New Mexico sunshine into England! Looks like it went to a fine home good luck.

"The more walking-around money I have, the less I walk around."
-Iggy Pop
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Cheers buddy, I’m looking forward to this one Smile

Keys ordered up now but haven’t got any further been away with work and now on holiday. Soon it can begin Smile

RSVP VW
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Birth certificate and letter confirming the engine is the original have turned up at Eric’s (the previous owner) so he has popped them over to me. Belgian car when new it would seem.
Anyone any idea on the M code? Doesn’t even appear on the list in the technical section on here.

RSVP VW
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Been a while since I updated this....

Will start a couple of months ago when I thought i’ll get the car mocked up quickly for our own show ready to trailer there. So a quick turning of the splines front and rear and a change of wheels to some OG chrome sprints later and it suddenly started looking very cool! Smile

Unfortunately I became very ill and ended up hospitalised so missed our show, so least it looked cool in the workshop anyway haha!

So now i’m Mostly better, decided it’s time to start the strip down ready for the body to come off.
Started by taking out the fuel tank and interior.

Nice and dry under there Smile

Have managed to get hold of some original front seat covers and lower front door cards in much better condition than mine thanks to Lee Hedges, so hopefully they will arrive soon. Going to have to fix the front of the headliner and down the A pillars too then should be a very nice original salt n pepper interior when finished.

Also didn’t realise the floor mats are salt n pepper too and match the material of the seats, I thought they were just plain grey.... they were just extremely dirty!

Next got to get the car on the ramp and disconnect steering, wiring then start unbolting body and floorpan, fingers crossed the bolts come undone Smile

Also had some photos sent over from Alex who found the car in Santa Rosa, found outside a shop there, seems the car was left there when the engine packed up many years ago, engine was taken out and put in the back, then nothing ever happens until Alex found it.

Oh and got keys cut, my doors and rear hatch all work off the same key, the ignition I got cut to suit the code engraved into the indicator arm, behind the steering wheel.... that one doesn’t work, so going to have to pull the column apart Sad

That’ll do for now haha

RSVP VW

Last edited by spit nolan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Lookin good, hope you are all well again soon
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Lookin good, hope you are all well again soon

Thanks mate, i’m Pretty much back to normal now. Wasn’t the best time but fortunately wasn’t as bad as it could have been. So i’m back on sorting this thing out Smile

RSVP VW
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Its all about the patina...on my patina car what works for me and others locally cannot believe it. I take some fine steel wool to it and then wax it a couple of times. They look at me like I am nuts. Honestly I have scene clear coated patina that looks like the bottom of a bird cage and we all know what is there.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

I haven’t had much chance to move forward with the square, until recently when I got it on the ramp and started undoing all the bolts that hold the body to the pan. Every single one came straight undone and out or so i thought!!! The very last one I came to, front of the small side ones on the edge of the floorpan on the driver side, decided it didn’t want to play ball, and the thread in the body had rusted free so the bolt was just spinning! Doh!
Cut it off for now, so that’s the only one that needs repairing, which I think is a bloody result Very Happy
All the big bolts in back seat area etc, and top of beam and so on, all came out perfect too!

Got it to the point where every single bolt was out and had started to lift the body up off the pan then had a change of plans!!!

Nope not selling it, but had done a deal with my friend Chris who runs Sublime Classic Restorations, he wanted all the bits I had to lower a barndoor bus and I wanted him to weld up the square.... perfect!
So few bolts back in, raise the back of it up a bit to make it easier to move and get on/off ramp etc.

Then onto the truck to head to Sublime...

Loaded up with the new floorpan halves and the spare rear wing to cut up for repair pieces.

Wing is too nice too cut up but I have it and I would rather fix the original than replace it.

Car is now tucked up in Sublime waiting for its turn on the ramp for the body to come off and Chris to start the welding work.

I pulled few bits off the original engine back at our place and gave it a steam clean and degrease. Came up pretty good so far. Will be starting the strip down of this whilst the car is away!

Lastly few photos of the car outside for the first time since I picked it up.

RSVP VW
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

I’m also still searching for 1 equally faded orange K12768 front indicator lense.

Anyone have anything suitable?

RSVP VW
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Also managed to find a pair of RHD euro headlights in my stock which I must have had for over 15 years! That was a bit of a luck! Typical as I had just bought some more LHD ones and was just going to put some beam deflectors on to make it legal for the road over here.

RSVP VW
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: November 62 Pearl White Patina Squareback Reply with quote

Like where you're going with this car. Nice one you have there.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: